Ocean name meaning
On This Page
What does Ocean mean?
The baby name Ocean has experienced a resurgence in popularity, particularly among nature enthusiasts and environmentally conscious parents who appreciate nature-inspired names like River and Ocean. Notably, Forest Whitaker, known for his creative approach to naming his children (his other kids are named Sonnet and True), chose the name Ocean Alexander for his son.
Variations of the name include Oceanus, which was given to a child born during the Mayflower voyage, and Oceane, a highly popular girls' name in France.
Ocean is a nature name that boldly declares its meaning and association.
It carries a sense of power and depth, making it one of the fastest-rising baby names for both girls and boys. In 2021, Ocean entered the top 1000 baby names in the United States for both genders.
Its French variant, Oceane, was given to only 11 baby girls in the US during the same year. While ocean lovers seeking subtler name choices can opt for names like Jennifer or Marissa, which carry the meaning of ocean, embracing the name Ocean itself is a perfectly valid and direct choice.
Originating from Greek, the baby name Ocean derives from the Ancient Greek name Oceanus, meaning "sea." It is a gender-neutral name commonly used in the English language.
Choosing Ocean as a baby name allows parents to draw inspiration from Greek mythology, as Oceanus was one of the ancient Titans. With a name like Ocean, a child can metaphorically explore the vastness of the seven seas and embark on adventures to witness the world's greatest natural phenomena.
Does Ocean work as a baby name?
Ocean is a charming and exotic name for a baby girl that brings to mind the vastness and beauty of the sea. This name is inspired by the Greek word for "sea" and has been rising in popularity as parents seek unique names that convey strength, grace, and tranquility.
Ocean is a great name for parents who love nature or have a connection to the ocean. It's also suited for parents who want a gender-neutral name that can produce several adorable nicknames such as Ocie, Oceana or even Oshie.
With its simplicity, elegance, and natural vibe, Ocean makes an excellent choice for any parent looking for an unusual yet meaningful name for their baby girl.
How do I pronounce Ocean?
You can pronounce the two syllabled name Ocean as o-cean.
Variants of OceanNames that rhyme with Ocean
How popular is the name Ocean?
Ocean is common in United States where over 3455 new-borns have been given the name since 1971. Presently at its peak, 166 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 1145th position.
Ocean is a familiar baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 600 names. In 2008, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 580 on girl names chart when 66 babies were named Ocean.
There are over 1313 babies that have been given the name Ocean in England and Wales.
Ocean is a unique baby name in France, it has been in use since 1993 and was able to reach the top 1000 names.
In 2001, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 902 on boy names chart when 32 babies were named Ocean. Over 287 people have been named Ocean in France. Ocean is a rare baby name in Belgium where it may not be used now.
Ocean is a common name in Zambia while somewhat familiar name in DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Egypt, Bangladesh, China, Australia, India, South Africa, Nigeria and Canada. As per our research, over 6000 people has been named Ocean globally.
Ocean in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Ocean?
People aren't always as nice as they seem. And your gentle heart can't take disappointments. You are an intuitive person who sees through people and their intentions, which can be irritating sometimes. Everything you have, you acquired alone, thanks to your hard work and putting your best efforts into achieving your goals. When it comes to overcoming obstacles, or surviving an emotional breakdown, or cope with depressive thoughts, you never ask for help.
Looking for a name like Ocean? Please go through the following names
- Bartoli - Used principally in English and Spanish, Bartoli has its origin in Aramaic, Bartoli means "Farmer or Both Surname or Given Name" is used for boys
- Styllwell - The boy name Styllwell is of Old English origin, Styllwell means "From the Quiet Spring and From the Tranquil Stream". Styllwell is a derivative of Stilwell.
- Emmot - The unisex name Emmot is principally used in English and English, Emmot means "Embracing Everything or An Ant"
- Sunny - Darling Sunny dominantly is used in Swedish, Norwegian and English is a gender-neutral name, meaning of Sunny is "Of the Sun, Happy or Shining" came from English
- Gilpen - Boy name Gilpen means "A Trustworthy Man and Trusted" is originated from English language. Gilpen is resultant of Gilpin.
Famous people named Ocean
- Ocean Born Mary, folklore figure of New England
- Ocean Colour Scene, English rock band formed in Moseley, Birmingham
- Ocean, Canadian gospel rock band
- Ocean Ou, Taiwanese Mandopop singer
- Ocean Bloom in I Spy as Actress
- Ocean Hai in Clickers and Chickers: Beach Babes as Director
- Oceane in Those Contentious Contestants as Actress
- Oceane Bucaille in Netflix Kids Is NSFW as Actress
- Ocean Hellman in Along Came a Spider as Actress
- Oceana Basílio in Crime e Botox as Actress
- Ocean Chan in movie Dream of Desire as Writer
Lists having Ocean
- Boys names beginning with O
- Girls names beginning with O
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Boy names that ends with -ean