Gerard name meaning
On This Page
What does Gerard mean?
Used especially in Norwegian, French, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, English and Finnish durable and widely accepted, Gerard aimed at both genders, Gerard means "Strength of the Spear, Spear-brave, Brave or Hardy" is originated from Germanic, Irish and Old High German.
Gerard is equivalent of Gerhard in Dutch and Catalan languages.
How do I pronounce Gerard?
ge-ra-rd is the most common way to pronounce three syllabled Gerard.
Variants of Gerard
Nicknames for Gerard
Potential nickname for the name Gerard include:Names that rhyme with Gerard
How popular is the name Gerard?
Gerard was a popular name in United States. Over 58086 babies have been named Gerard since 1886. At the peak of its usage in 1954, it ranked 177th when 1619 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 148 years. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 500 baby names a whooping 82 times Also, Gerard was a popular name in Ireland.
Over 14397 babies have been given the given name in 56 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1964, the moniker grabbed the 10th spot and 837 baby boys were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 56 years. Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 4 times Also, Gerard is a popular name in Spain given to over 7609 babies in 12 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2012, 869 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 64th position. Moreover, the name has been to the top 100 baby names 12 times
Gerard is a familiar baby name in New South Wales during its short run, it been to the top 100 names.
In 1966, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 84 on boy names chart when 82 babies were given the name Gerard. Over 586 babies in New South Wales have been named Gerard.
Also, during its short run of just 3 years in Queensland, it had made it to the top 100 names. In 1961, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 73 on boy names chart when 55 babies were given the name Gerard.
There are over 126 babies that have been given the name Gerard in Queensland.
Gerard is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 500 names.
In 1997, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 462 on boy names chart when 42 babies were named Gerard. There are over 594 babies that have been given the name Gerard in England and Wales.
Also, in Netherlands, in just 3 years, it has made it to the top 600 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 517 on boy names chart when 28 babies were named Gerard.
Gerard is an uncommon baby name in France still in use today. Gerard is a rare baby name in Belgium still in use today. But Gerard is a popular baby name in DR Congo where every 1 in 900 have the name as well as in, Burundi, Canada, England, Rwanda, Madagascar, Chad, Benin, Haiti, Cameroon, Australia, Philippines, Northern Ireland, Poland, Congo and Scotland.
According to our estimate, over 790000 babies have been named Gerard globally.
Gerard in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Gerard?
You possess great communication skills. You are dominant and leadership comes out naturally for you. Sometimes you are stubborn but other times you allow people to change your mind easily with a simple statement or insult. Break free from your comfort zone. Stop looking at life as something you understand completely because no one does, and no one will ever do. You always thrive to accomplish the greatest things, be the best at what you do, and impress yourself instead of impression others.
If you like Gerard, you would love these names
- Taleja - Girl name Taleja means "Of Noble Figure or Of a Noble Kind" and of Old High German origin is used largely in Dutch and Frisian languages
- Peter - Meaning of Peter is The Stone, Strong or River is used mostly in Danish and Icelandic has its origin in Old Greek and Latin is bestowed upon both genders. In 2018, pleasing Peter was the 211th most popular name among baby boy names in United States
- An - Unorthodox An came from Arabic, Hebrew and Vietnamese is used in Norwegian, Finnish and Old Norse, meaning of An is "He (God) Was Gracious" is bestowed upon both boys and girls
- Karin - The widely accepted unisex name Karin means "Pure One or Summer Forest" and is used in Scandinavian and German is originated from Latin and Old Greek
- Joannes is originated from Hebrew, Joannes means "God is Merciful or Yahweh is Gracious" and a boy name is used predominantly in Norwegian and Dutch
Sibling Names for Gerard
If you're considering naming your baby boy Gerard, you might be interested in finding sibling names that complement Gerard's unique and strong sound. Here are some ideas for boy and girl names that pair well with Gerard.
Names for Gerard's sister
For a brother
Famous people named Gerard
- Gerard Hengeveld, He is especially
- Gerard Slevin, was born in Cork, Ireland
- Gerard Swope, U.S. electronics businessman
- Gerard van Honthorst,
- Gerard Brady, Irish former Fianna Fáil politician
- Gerard Krefft,
- Gerard Lecuyer, (born August 2, 1936
- Gerard Labuda, Polish historian whose main fields of interest were the Middle Ages and the Western Slavs
- Gerard Croiset, Dutch parapsychologist, psychometrist and psychic
- Gerard Schwarz, American conductor and trumpeter
- Gerard Anthony Hayes-McCoy, Irish historian regarded as one of the leading Irish historians of his generation
- Gerard, Japanese progressive rock band
- Gerard Woodward, British novelist, poet and short story writer
- Gerard of Csanád, first Bishop of Csanád in the Kingdom of Hungary
- Gerard Phalen, from Glace Bay, Nova Scotia educator
- Gerard Vaughan, British psychiatrist and politician
- Gerard Ee, public figure championing social service rights and issues
- Gerard I, Count of Guelders, was Count of Guelders
- Gerard Glaister, British television producer and director best
- Gerard Nash, former Irish professional footballer
- Gerard Segarelli, founder of the Apostolic Brethren
- Gerard Langbaine, English dramatic biographer and critic, best
- Gerard Steenson, Irish republican paramilitary combatant
- Gerard Nolst Trenité, Nolst Trenité published under the pseudonym Charivarius
- Gerard Leeu, Dutch printer of incunabula
- Gerard Rissik, Beyers
- Gerard Majella, Gerard Majella, C.Ss
- Gerard Antoni Ciołek, Polish architect
- Gerard de Furnival, Norman knight and Lord of Hallamshire and Worksop
- Gerard Johnson, British keyboard player
- Gerard Casey, Irish academic
- Gerard de Daumar, French Dominican from Limoges
- Gerard Cosloy, American music industry executive
- Gerard Fairlie, Scottish author and scriptwriter on whom Sapper supposedly based the character of Bulldog Drummond
- Gerard McLarnon, English-Irish actor and playwright
- Gerard Windsor, Australian author and literary critic
- Gerard C. Smith, chief U.S. delegate to the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks
- Gerard Daniel Houarner, American writer of horror
- Gerard Richardson, American painter and designer
- Gerard Manley Hopkins, English poet and Jesuit priest
- Gerard 't Hooft, Dutch theoretical physicist and professor at Utrecht University
- Gerard Salton, Professor of Computer Science at Cornell University
- Gerard, was Archbishop of York between 1100 and 1108 and Lord Chancellor of England
- Gerard K. O'Neill, American physicist and space activist
- Gerard De Geer, Swedish geologist
- Gerard van Swieten, Dutch physician
- Gerard de Jode, Netherlandish cartographer
- Gerard J. Foschini, American telecommunications engineer
- Gerard J. Holzmann, Dutch-born American computer scientist and researcher at Bell Labs and NASA
- Gerard of Toul, German prelate
- Gerard David, Early Netherlandish painter and manuscript illuminator
- Gerard van Velde, Dutch retired speed skater
- Gerard Kuiper, Dutch–American astronomer, planetary scientist
- Gerard Christopher, American actor and writer
- Gerard Reve, Dutch writer
- Gerard Philips, Dutch industrialist and co-founder
- Gerard Sweetman, Irish Fine Gael politician
- Gerard Beekmans, initiator and organizer of the Linux From Scratch project
- Gerard de Ridefort, was Grand Master of the Knights Templar
- Gerard Gallant, Canadian ice hockey coach and former player
- Gerard Batten, British politician
Lists having Gerard
- Boys names beginning with G
- Girls names beginning with G
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Boy names that starts with Ger
- Boy names that ends with -ard
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2000)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1966)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1963)
- Baby Names that mean Spear
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean brave
- Baby Names that mean Strength
- Baby Names that mean Rule
- Baby Names that mean Hardy