Gillis meaning and origin
The odd boy name Gillis is of Celtic and Old Greek origin, Gillis means "Aigis, Aigilops, Epistle or Shield" is commonly used in Scandinavian, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish and Danish. Gillis is a variant of Gillespie. Gillespie is Scottish form of Gille Easbaig. Meaning of Gillespie is Bishops Helper has origin in Celtic is particulary used in Swedish, Danish and English. Gillis is equivalent of Giles in Dutch and Swedish languages. Gillis is celebrated on September 1st.
Variants of GillisNames that rhyme with Gillis
Popularity of Gillis
Gillis is an uncommon baby name in United States, 64 years of presence was not sufficient to save the name and it finally disappeared in 2001. There are over 712 babies that have been given the name Gillis in United States. Gillis is a rare baby name in Belgium and may not be used now. As per our estimate, over 1000 babies have been bestowed Gillis around the globe.
Gillis in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Gillis
You have the ability to think outside the box and predict things before they happen. People don't concern you much, meaning there are only a few people you trust in your life. Nothing can stop them from achieving what they intended. You are all about fun, adventure, excitement, change, and adventure. You like to explore your options about everything. The sky is your only limit when it comes to goals.
Do you like Gillis? You would love these names
- Maelaig - Origin of Maelaig is in Celtic, meaning of Maelaig is "Lord or Prince"
- Colina - Originated from Celtic and Old Greek, Unorthodox Colina is used in English given to girls, Colina means "Girl or Victory of the People"
- Nette - Origin of Unconventional Nette is in Latin and Celtic languages bestowed upon baby girls, used dominantly in Swedish, Greenlandic and Finnish, meaning of Nette is "That Feeds on Flower"
- Kyndra - The curious girl name Kyndra is used primarily in English is originated from Celtic, Kyndra means "Greatest Champion"
- Casie - Meaning of Casie is Descendant of Cathasaigh and Brave came from Celtic and Old Greek is used for both boys and girls. Casie is variant transcription of Casey.
Namesakes of Gillis
- Gillis van Coninxloo, Flemish painter of landscapes
- Gillis d'Hondecoeter, Gillis Claesz
- Gillis MacGill, was fashion model
- Gillis Ahlberg, Swedish rowing coxswain
- Gillis Bildt, Swedish parliamentarian, military officer
- Gillis Grafström, Swedish figure skater
- Gillis William Long, Democratic U.S. Representative