Poppy name meaning
On This Page
What does Poppy mean?
The well-known girl name Poppy came from English, Poppy means "Poppy or From the Flower" is specifically used in English.
Is Poppy a pleasant name for a baby?
The name Poppy is a beautiful and distinctive choice for a baby girl. Its Latin origin means "Red flower," which perfectly encapsulates its delicate and vibrant nature.
With its association to the iconic flower, it brings to mind images of beauty, femininity, and hope. The name has a unique sound, with its two syllables that roll off the tongue and make it easy to say.
It's not overly common but also not too obscure, striking the perfect balance between being unique yet recognizable. Overall, Poppy is an excellent choice for parents seeking a name that is both elegant and full of character for their little one.
How do I pronounce Poppy?
The two syllabled name Poppy is pronounced, p(op)-py. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., pawp-ee.
Variants of PoppyNames that rhyme with Poppy
How popular is the name Poppy?
Poppy is a popular in United States where over 3386 new-borns have been given the name since 1919. Presently peaking at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 592nd spot and 513 baby girls were given the name.
Also, Poppy was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 41610 babies have been given the moniker in 23 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2014, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 3422 baby girls were given the name.
However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts. Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times
Poppy was a common name in New South Wales.
Over 1185 babies have been named Poppy since 2009. At its zenith in 2014,. However after 11 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong.
Also, A common name in Queensland with over 1020 new-borns have been given the name since 2008. At present peaked at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 37th spot and 117 baby girls were given the name.
Also, A common name in Victoria with over 1091 new-borns have been given the name since 2008. At its zenith in 2019, 151 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 34th position.
Poppy is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1990 and was able to reach the top 100 names. In 2013, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 90 on girl names chart when 74 babies were given the name Poppy.
Over 652 babies in Ireland have been named Poppy. The given name is a unique baby name in Western Australia, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 39 on girl names chart when 48 babies were named Poppy.
Poppy is an uncommon baby name in France, in use since 1999, peaked in 2006 when it ranked 2203rd.
Poppy is a rare baby name in Belgium however it is still in use. And also in Western Australia. But Poppy is a popular baby name in South Africa where every 1 in 7000 have the name as well as in Indonesia.
At least, 40000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our findings.
Poppy in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Poppy
You are sharp-minded and intelligent. When you like someone in a romantic way, it makes you nervous. You don't have a perfect life but who does? At least, your life is worth admiring. You always think there's more out there. You want to accomplish more when it comes to you career. You are a jealous and passionate lover. You believe that each one of us was born with a purpose or is supposed to give their life a purpose of their own.
If you like Poppy, you would love these names
- Clarance - Loved and Perpetual boy name Clarance means "Clear or Bright" is used in English
- Elford - Rare boy name Elford is of English origin, Elford means "Old Ford" is largely used in English
- Carlicia - Used notably in English uncustomary, Carlicia is used as a girl name, Carlicia means "Vigorous and Man" is rooted from Germanic. Carlicia is derivative of Carla.
- Garatun - Garatun's meaning is Lives in the Triangular Farm Stead is of English origin, a baby boy name is used majorly in English
- Vinn - Meaning of Vinn is Conqueror is particulary used in English. It is rooted from Latin is used as a baby boy name
Famous people named Poppy
- Poppy Cannon, was at various times the food editor of the 'Ladies Home Journal' and 'House Beautiful'
- Poppy Z. Brite, American author
- Poppy Montgomery, Australian-American actress
- Poppy Miller, English actress
- Poppy King, Australian entrepreneur
- Poppy Elliott in I'll Be There as Actress
- Poppy Carter in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix as Actress
- Poppy Jhakra in Episode #7.3 as Actress
- Poppy Rush in Kitten Chic as Actress
- Poppy Lane in Memories Are Made of This as Actress
- Poppy Gaye in Coming Home as Actress
- Poppy Fields in Chasing It as Actress
- Poppy Rogers in From Hell as Actress
- Poppy Morgan in The 8th Day as Actress
- Poppy de Villeneuve is well-known for directing short Love Is Like Life But Longer
- In 1920, Poppy Wyndham characterized the role of Columbine in drama, romance movie The Tidal Wave.
- Poppy Roe portrayed pivotal role of Det. Inspector Webber In drama movie RideBy.
Lists having Poppy
- Girl names beginning with P
- American Girl Names
- English Girl Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2014)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Flower