Tor name meaning
What does Tor mean?
Used commonly in Nordic, Norwegian, Scandinavian, African, English, Finnish, Danish and Swedish uncustomary, Tor aimed at boys, Tor means "King, Tower, Watchtower or God of Thunder" is originated from African-Tiv and Old Norse. Tor is variant form of Þórr. Þórr is variant form of Þór. Tor is a variant form of Tord. Tord is form of Þórðr. Unwonted Tord is originated from Old Norse, Tord means "Beautiful and Thunder"..
How is Tor seen as a baby name?
Tor is a unique and powerful name that originates from Norse mythology. It means Thunder and Turtledove, representing strength and peace simultaneously. As a baby boy name, it offers a sense of individuality and distinction compared to the more common names. Tor also offers potential for various nicknames such as T or Tori, making it versatile in use. Additionally, the name's meaning can be interpreted positively as it represents both power and tranquility, providing an aspirational ideal for parents to instill in their child's character. Ultimately, Tor is a distinctive name with a deep cultural history that could make any baby boy stand out in a crowd.
How do I pronounce Tor?
The one syllabled name Tor is commonly pronounced as tor.
Variants of Tor
Thor, Tord, Þórr, Þórðr, Thord, Þór, ÞórfreðrNames that rhyme with Tor
How popular is the name Tor?
Tor is a unique baby name in United States, it has been in use since 1950 and was able to reach the top 2000 names. In 1965, it ranked 1428th when 29 boys were named Tor. Over 805 people have been named Tor in United States. Tor is an uncommon baby name in England and Wales, even after 23 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 2000. There are over 147 babies that have been given the name Tor in England and Wales.
But Tor is a popular baby name in Norway where every 1 in 200 have the name as well as in South Sudan. At least, 50000 people globally have been given the name as per our research.
Numerological aspects of Tor
You are too kind to tell these people to leave and so, you end up drained and confused. You are a disciplined person is what number 8 as your expression number as to say about you. Break free from your comfort zone. Taking into consideration your communication skills and charisma, you won't have a problem to attract attention and spread awareness. Harmony and balance matter to you. Stop looking at life as something you understand completely because no one does, and no one will ever do.
You would love these names similar to Tor
- Changa - Outlandish Changa principally is used in African bestowed upon boys, meaning of Changa is "Dominant"
- Erasto - Uncommon boy name Erasto is originated from Old Greek and is used prevalently in Spanish and African languages, meaning of Erasto is "A Man of Peace"
- Pandu - Meaning of Pandu is. or A Pale-Skinned Man is a gender insensitive name and rooted from Sanskrit is used in African and Bengali
- Alasan - Alasan's meaning is Beautiful is chiefly used in African
- Manyara - Manyara's meaning is A Humble Woman is originated from African is a baby girl name
Famous people named Tor
- Tor Nørretranders, Danish author of popular science
- Tor Skjønsberg, Norwegian resistance leader
- Tor Aulin, Swedish violinist, conductor and composer
- Tor Egil Johansen, retired Norwegian footballer
- Tor Ulven, Norwegian poet
- Tor Torkildsen, Norwegian novelist and seaman
- Tor Halvorsen, Norwegian trade unionist and politician for the Labour Party
- Tor Jonsson, Norwegian author and journalist
- Tor Egil Horn, former Norwegian football goalkeeper
- Tor Sørnes, Norwegian author, politician
- Tor Øivind Ødegård, retired Norwegian middle distance runner
- Tor Heiestad, Norwegian shooter
- Tor Norberg, Swedish gymnast
- Tor Lund, Norwegian gymnast
- Tor Lundvall, painter and musician
- Tor Hagfors, Norwegian scientist, radio astronomer
- Tor Mann, Swedish conductor
- Tor Andræ, Swedish scholar of comparative religion and bishop of Linköping
- Tor Bergeron, Swedish meteorologist
- Tor Berger Jørgensen, Norwegian Bishop
- Tor Mikkel Wara, Norwegian politician from the Progress Party
- Tor Books, primary imprint of Tom Doherty Associates
- Tor Johnson, Swedish professional wrestler and actor
- Tor Henning Hamre, Norwegian former footballer
- Tor Arne Hetland, Norwegian cross-country skiing coach and a former professional cross-country skier
- Tor Åge Bringsværd, author, playwright, editor and translator
- Tor Endresen, Norwegian singer and composer
- Tor Hogne Aarøy, Norwegian football forward
- Tor Håkon Holte, Norwegian cross country skier
- Tor Atle Andersen, drummer for the Norwegian progressive metal/power metal band Communic
- Tor Hyams, music producer
- Tor Thodesen, Norwegian football coach
- Tor Kamata, professional wrestler
- Tor Arne Andreassen, Norwegian former footballer
- Tor Nilsson, heavyweight Greco-Roman wrestler from Sweden
- Tor Ben-Mayor is well-known for directing movie Kapo
- Tor Planting portrayed the central character of Kai Friman in 1987 thriller flick Tropic of Ice - Jään kääntöpiiri.
- In 1985, Tor Stokke portrayed the role of Torir in adventure, drama flick I na kamnyakh rastut derevya.
- Tor Weijden, from 1923 drama film Andersson, Pettersson och Lundström, who characterized Andersson.
Lists having Tor
- Boy names beginning with T
- African Boy Names
- American Boy Names
- English Boy Names
- Norse Boy Names
- Danish Boy Names
- Finnish Boy Names
- Norwegian Boy Names
- Swedish Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2013)
- Baby Names that mean King
- Baby Names that mean Tower
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Thunder