Alastair name meaning
On This Page
What does Alastair mean?
Alastair means Alasdair, Alexander, Protect and Man or Manly is used generally as a boy name. Its origin is in Greek, Old Greek and Scottish is used substantially in Scottish and English.
Alastair is variant of immutable and prevailing Alexander. Alexander is equivalent of The Greek Name Αλεξανδρος in Latin language. Offbeat Alexander came from Slavic and Hungarian, meaning of Alexander is "Manly, He Who Wards Off (Other) Men and Protect and Man".
Alastair is another transcription of Alistair. Alistair is variant form of AlexanderAlexander. Meaning of Alistair is Manly, Protect and Man and Alasdair is particulary used in English and Scottish has origin in Old Greek, Greek and Scottish.
The name is celebrated on April 22nd.
How do I pronounce Alastair?
The most common way to pronounce two syllabled Alastair is a-las-tair. al(a)-stair is another way(s) to say the name.
Variants of AlastairNames that rhyme with Alastair
How popular is the name Alastair?
In England and Wales, Alastair was once a common name since emerging in 1996 it has been given to over 1486 babies. At its zenith in 1996,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years.
Alastair is a familiar baby name in United States, it has been in use since 1922 and was able to reach the top 3000 names. Recently in 2017, it ranked 2177th when 61 boy were named Alastair.
Over 969 people have been named Alastair in United States.
Alastair is an uncommon baby name in Ireland, although it has been in use since 1966 but could not make beyond the top 300.
Alastair is a rare baby name in France where it may not be used now since it isn't seen since 1971. But Alastair is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 4000 have the name as well as in Scotland.
At least, 30000 people globally have been given the name as per our research.
Alastair in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Alastair
What fulfills your soul is your professional success. You are still fragile as a human being and care deeply about people. Your attitude is expressive and energetic. You like to establish deep connections for life rather than just hang around with different people all the time. You are self-reliant, self-motivated and persistent. If letter A is your cornerstone, you are not into flirting much but like to get straight to the point.
If you like Alastair, you would love these names
- Sebastian - Famed and Ever lasting unisex name Sebastian means "Majestic, Vehement Protector or Man from Sebaste" and came from Old Greek is used specifically in Danish and Spanish
- Entela especially is used in Albanian is originated from Old Greek and a girl name, meaning of Entela is "The Perfect One"
- Lean - Lean's meaning is Man of the People or Lion of a Man is used as a gender-neutral name which is majorly used in Danish and Swedish is of French, Chinese and English origin
- Theodoor - Theodoors origin is Old Greek, meaning of Theodoor is "Gift of God and God's Gift" used mostly in Dutch is bestowed upon boys. Theodoor is resulted from Theodore.
- Pero - Majorly used in Slavic, Pero has origin in Old Greek, meaning of Pero is "The Rock or The Stone" is used for baby boys
Sibling Names for Alastair
Looking for the perfect sibling name to complement Alastair? Look no further! We've curated a list of names that tie in well with Alastair's classic and timeless sound. Whether you're looking for a name with similar origins or a name that simply flows well together, we've got you covered. Check out our top picks below!
Names for Alastair's sister
For a brother
Famous people named Alastair
- Alastair Pilkington, British engineer and businessman
- Alastair Morton, was Chief Executive of Eurotunnel and Chairman of the Strategic Rail Authority and an industrialist of considerable achievements and renown
- Alastair Morrison, 3rd Baron Margadale, British peer
- Alastair Fitter, British ecologist at the University of York
- Alastair Galbraith, musician from Dunedin, New Zealand
- Alastair Ruadh MacDonnell, Scottish Jacobite
- Alastair Humphreys, English adventurer
- Alastair Watson, LVO was Private Secretary to Prince Andrew
- Alastair Reid, Scottish poet and a scholar of South American literature
- Alastair Sweeny, Canadian publisher, historian, and author
- Alastair Aird, British royal courtier
- Alastair Richardson, English former cricketer
- Alastair Fothergill, British producer of nature documentaries for television and cinema
- Alastair Lansley, British architect
- Alastair Boyd, 7th Baron Kilmarnock, British writer, Hispanophile
- Alastair Gordon, Earl of Aboyne, only son and heir of Granville Gordon
- Alastair Heathcote, British rower and Captain in the British Army
- Alastair Hannay, is Professor emeritus at the University of Oslo
- Alastair Denniston, British codebreaker in Room 40
- Alastair G. W. Cameron, Canadian astrophysicist and space scientist
- Alastair Reynolds, British science fiction author
- Alastair Sim, Scottish character actor
- Alastair Campbell, British journalist, broadcaster
- Alastair Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, member of the British Royal Family
- Alastair Lynch, former professional Australian rules footballer
- Alastair Goodlad, British Conservative politician
- Alastair Gillespie, Canadian politician and businessman
- Alastair McHarg, former lock for the Scotland national rugby union team
- Alastair Burnet, British journalist and broadcaster, best
- Alastair Stewart, main newscaster for 'ITV News'
- Alastair Cook, English cricketer
- Alastair McIntosh, Scottish writer, academic and activist
- Alastair Yates, English news anchor
- Alastair King, British composer and conductor
- Alastair Hignell, English former rugby union international and cricketer
- Alastair Forsyth, Scottish professional golfer
- Alastair McCorquodale, (5 December 1925 in Hillhead
- Alastair Bruce, 5th Baron Aberdare, British nobleman
- Alastair Bressington, former English cricketer and rugby union player
- Alastair Hetherington, British journalist, newspaper editor and academic
- Alastair Clarkson, Australian rules football coach and former player
- Alastair Pearson, military person
- Alastair Layzell, Layzell was born and then educated
- Alastair Moock, He is known for his gruff voice, playful lyrics
- Alastair Campbell, Lord Bracadale, retired senior Scottish judge
- Alastair Ross, unionist politician in Northern Ireland
- Alastair Summerlee, Is the Interim President and Vice-Chancellor of Carleton University located
- Alastair Storie, former Scottish cricketer
- Alastair Brennan, retired ice hockey player
- Alastair Surprise in A Stella Is Born as Producer
- Alastair Sooke in A New Dawn as
- Alastair Murdoch in Intervention as Actor
- Alastair James Murden in Mad Scientist; Hollywood Scandal; Outlaw's End as Actor
- Alastair Thomson Mills in The Wee Man as Actor
- Alastair Cumming in Velvet Goldmine as Actor
- Alastair Douglas in The Benchwarmers as Actor
- Alastair Anderson directed the short The Dildo Song
- Alastair Mackenzie portrayed crucial role of Michael in 1970 thriller flick The Man Who Haunted Himself.
- In 2001, Alastair Tomkins characterized the role of Alex in comedy film Spudmonkey.
Lists having Alastair
- Boy names beginning with A
- American Boy Names
- English Boy Names
- Greek Boy Names
- Scottish Boy Names
- Baby Names that mean Protect
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Manly