Alexander name meaning
On This Page
What does Alexander mean?
The meaning of the name Alexander is defender of men. It is derived from the Greek words ‘alexo’ meaning to defend and ‘andros’ meaning man.
The name has been borne by several saints, including Saint Alexander of Jerusalem and Saint Alexander Nevsky.
It was also the name of two emperors of Russia: Alexander I (1777-1825) and Alexander II (1818-81).
Alexander has been used as a given name in the English-speaking world since the 16th century.
In Scotland, it was common among the royal Stuart family.
In recent years, the popularity of the name Alexander has declined in many English-speaking countries, but it remains fairly popular in other parts of the world, particularly in Germany, Scandinavia and Slavic countries.
There are many reasons why baby name Alexander is a good choice.
First, it is a strong and powerful name. Second, it has a long history and tradition behind it. Third, it is a popular name that will likely never go out of style.
Finally, Alexander is a great name for baby boys and girls alike. If you are looking for a strong and timeless baby name, then Alexander is an excellent choice.
How do I pronounce Alexander?
The four syllabled name Alexander is pronounced, al-egs-zan-dur.
Variants of Alexander
Nicknames for Alexander
Here is the list of Popular nicknames for name Alexander:Names that rhyme with Alexander
How popular is the name Alexander?
Alexander was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 677375 babies have been named Alexander since 1880. At the peak of its usage in 2009, the moniker grabbed the 4th spot and 20522 baby boys were given the name.
However after 228 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Alexander was a popular name in England and Wales.
Over 74970 babies have been named Alexander since 1996. At the peak of its usage in 1996, the moniker grabbed the 14th spot and 4840 baby boys were given the name.
However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 23 times Also, Alexander was a popular name in Denmark.
Over 12113 babies have been named Alexander since 1993. At its zenith in 2011, it ranked 10th when 658 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 27 years, the name is on free fall on the charts.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 2 times Also, Alexander is a popular name in Sweden given to over 10910 babies in 12 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2002, 1082 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 5th position.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, a popular name in New South Wales with over 19074 new-borns have been given the name since 1952.
At the peak of its usage in 2014, 673 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 8th position. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 10 baby names 4 times
A common name in Ireland with over 4571 new-borns have been given the name since 1964.
Currently the name is rising, in 2018, it ranked 31st when 211 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, Alexander was a common name in Spain. Over 691 babies have been named Alexander since 2002.
When at its peak in 2003,. After 3 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, Alexander is common in Switzerland where over 3029 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
At present peaked at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 29th spot and 183 baby boys were given the name. Also, A common name in Netherlands with over 1036 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
Currently the name is hotter than ever, the moniker grabbed the 61st spot and 229 baby boys were given the name. Also, Alexander used to be a common name in Belgium, first appeared in 1995 and over 5253 babies have been given the name in 24 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2016,. However after 24 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Alexander is common in Queensland where over 8301 new-borns have been given the name since 1960.
At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2018, it ranked 13rd when 335 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, Alexander was a common name in Victoria.
Over 3335 babies have been named Alexander since 2008. When at the peak of its usage in 2012,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 12 years but it is still going strong.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 2 times
Alexander is a familiar baby name in France, it has been in use since 1925 and was able to reach the top 500 names.
In 1995, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 401 on boy names chart when 85 babies were given the name Alexander. Over 2287 people have been named Alexander in France.
Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2019, 91 babies were given Alexander and it reached its peak ranking, 27 on boy names chart.
Alexander is a unique baby name in Finland during its short run, it been to the top 100 names. In 2001, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 6 on boy names chart when 37 babies were named Alexander.
The first name is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory still in use today. Alexander is a rare baby name in Finland, chances of it being still in use are very slim and also in Western Australia.
However things change on global perspective, Alexander is extremely popular in Russia where every 1 in 100 have the name as well as in, Germany, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Colombia and Philippines. Also the baby name is popular in Uzbekistan, Venezuela, England, Scotland, Ghana, Austria, Indonesia, Peru, Nigeria, Cuba, Turkmenistan, Slovakia, Brazil, Tanzania, Costa Rica, Malawi, Kenya, Canada, Dominican Republic, Tajikistan, South Africa, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Panama, India, Ecuador, Poland, Egypt, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Liberia, Australia, Uganda, Chile, Malaysia, Ethiopia, Moldova, Transnistria, Jamaica, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.
As per our evaluation, over 3720000 people has been named Alexander globally.
Alexander in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Alexander
You always watch not to hurt anyone's emotions. You are innovative and like to plan but enjoy when spontaneity kicks in. You are secretive when it comes to your dreams and goals because you believe that the fewer people know about your ideas and happiness, the longer you will stay happy and motivated. You are interested in learning new and exciting things. To have number 3 as your soul urge number reveals the creative side of your personality.
You would love these names similar to Alexander
- Cirillo - Boy name Cirillo came from Old Greek, dominantly used in Italian language, meaning of Cirillo is "Lord"
- Bandi - Offbeat Bandi is originated from Sanskrit and Old Greek is a unisex name, Bandi means "Slave or Man" is used prevalently in Hindi, Hungarian and Czech
- Arcadia - The rare girl name Arcadia has its origin in Old Greek, Arcadia means "A Mountainous Region In Central Peloponnesus Greece" is principally used in Spanish
- Anisah - Meaning of Anisah is Of Good Company, Loyal or Good Friend used for baby girls which originated from Old Greek is used chiefly in Arabic and Tamil
- Gergana means Farmer or Earthworker is used normally as a girl name which is substantially used in Bulgarian came from Old Greek
Middle names for Alexander
Some great options for familiar and daring middle names to go with Alexander.
View more middle names that goes with Alexander.
Sibling Names for Alexander
Are you expecting a baby boy and thinking of naming him Alexander, but looking for some inspiration for his siblings' names? Look no further! We've compiled a list of sibling names that will complement the strong and classic name Alexander perfectly. Check out our suggestions below.
For a sister
Brother for Alexander
Famous people named Alexander
- Alexander I of Epirus, king of Epirus of the Aeacid dynasty
- Alexander of Pherae, was 'tagus' or despot of Pherae in Thessaly
- Alexander II of Epirus, king of Epirus, and the son of Pyrrhus and Lanassa
- Alexander of Aphrodisias, Peripatetic philosopher and the most celebrated of the Ancient Greek commentators on the writings of Aristotle
- Alexander Jannaeus, second Hasmonean king of Judaea from 103 to 76 BC. A son of John Hyrcanus
- Alexander Anderson, Scottish mathematician
- Alexander of Hales, theologian and philosopher important
- Alexander Dubček, Slovak politician
- Alexander Trocchi, Scottish novelist
- Alexander Boswell, Lord Auchinleck, judge of the supreme courts of Scotland
- Alexander Shlyakhter, Russian nuclear physicist and risk analyst
- Alexander Sumarokov, Russian poet and playwright
- Alexander Mitchell, Irish engineer who from 1802 was blind
- Alexander Balloch Grosart, Scottish clergyman and literary editor
- Alexander Dyce, Scottish dramatic editor and literary historian
- Alexander IV of Macedon, son of Alexander the Great and Princess Roxana of Bactria
- Alexander Campbell Fraser, Scottish philosopher
- Alexander Runciman, Scottish painter of historical and mythological subjects
- Alexander Neckam, English scholar, teacher
- Alexander Nasmyth, Scottish portrait and landscape painter
- Alexander Glazunov, Russian composer, music teacher
- Alexander Dewdney, Canadian mathematician, computer scientist, author
- Alexander of Constantinople, bishop of Byzantium and the first Archbishop of Constantinople
- Alexander Shliapnikov, Russian communist revolutionary, metalworker
- Alexander Campbell, Scots-Irish immigrant
- Alexander Vasilyevich Alexandrov, Russian Soviet composer
- Alexander Burnes, British explorer and diplomat associated with The Great Game
- Alexander Thynn, 7th Marquess of Bath, English politician, artist and author
- Alexander I of Macedon, ruler of the ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon
- Alexander Meiklejohn, philosopher, university administrator
- Alexander Bustamante, Jamaican politician and labour leader, who
- Alexander Schalck-Golodkowski, politician and trader
- Alexander Schleicher, German pioneer of sailplane design
- Alexander Whitaker, English Anglican theologian
- Alexander Frumkin, Russian/Soviet electrochemist
- Alexander Brome, English poet
- Alexander Fleming, He wrote many articles on bacteriology
- Alexander Grothendieck, stateless mathematician
- Alexander Shulgin, American medicinal chemist, biochemist, organic chemist
- Alexander von Humboldt, Prussian polymath, geographer, naturalist
- Alexander Bain, Scottish philosopher and educationalist in the British school of empiricism and a prominent and innovative figure
- Alexander Prokhorov, Australian-born Russian physicist
- Alexander Ewing, Scottish church leader
- Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten, German philosopher
- Alexander Wilson, Scottish-American poet, ornithologist, naturalist
- Alexander Luria, notable neuropsychologist
- Alexander Cumming, Scottish watchmaker and instrument inventor,
- Alexander Herzen, With his writings
- Alexander R. Todd, British biochemist whose research on the structure and synthesis of nucleotides
- Alexander the Great, king of the ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon and a member of the Argead dynasty
- Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish-born Aside
- Alexander Mackenzie, Scottish-Canadian politician
- Alexander Agassiz, American scientist and engineer
- Alexander Balas, ruler of the Greek Seleucid kingdom in 150/Summer 152 – August 146 BC. Alexander defeated Demetrius Soter for the crown in 150 BC. Ruling briefly
- Alexander Jagiellon, Grand Duke of Lithuania and later also King of Poland
- Alexander III of Russia, Emperor of Russia, King of Poland
- Alexander I of Scotland, King of Scotland from 1107 to his death
- Alexander II of Scotland, eldest legitimate daughter and third child of John of England and Isabella of Angoulême
- Alexander I of Serbia, was king of Serbia
- Alexander III of Scotland, was King of Scots
- Alexander Selkirk, Scottish privateer and Royal Navy officer
- Alexander Kerensky, Russian lawyer and revolutionist
Lists having Alexander
- Boys names beginning with A
- Girls names beginning with A
- Dutch Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Hungarian Baby Names
- Slavic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2013)
- Baby Names that mean Helper
- Baby Names that mean Defender
- Baby Names that mean Mankind
- Baby Names that mean Protector
- Baby Names that mean Warrior
- Baby Names that mean Men
- Baby Names that mean Wards
- Baby Names that mean Protect
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Manly