Deirdre name meaning
What does Deirdre mean?
Meaning of Deirdre is Sorrowful, Beautiful, Woman, Ancient, King, Young Girl or Raging is used as a baby girl name which is majorly used in Irish, Gaelic and English came from Celtic and Old Irish.
How Deirdre is perceived as a baby name?
Deirdre is a classic Irish baby girl name with a powerful meaning. It originates from the ancient Celtic legend, The Tragic Story of Deirdre. The name means "sorrowful or broken-hearted" and carries this sorrowful story throughout its history. This has led to Deirdre being seen as a gentle, yet sad and melancholic name choice for a baby girl. Parents often choose this name when they want to honour their Irish heritage, while simultaneously expressing the strong emotions they feel towards their new daughter. Deirdre's strong meaning adds an air of depth and sophistication to any baby girl's name.
How do I pronounce Deirdre?
deer-drah is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Deirdre. The name can also be pronounced as de(i)-rd-re or deir-dre.
Variants of Deirdre
View middle names that goes with Deirdre like Kaisa, Cathryn, Letizia,Names that rhyme with Deirdre
How popular is the name Deirdre?
a popular name in United States with over 16735 new-borns have been given the name since 1921. At its zenith in 1961, the moniker grabbed the 333rd spot and 795 baby girls were given the name. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 500 baby names 13 times Also, Deirdre is a popular name in Ireland given to over 12353 babies in 51 years. At its zenith in 1966, 613 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 7th position. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 10 baby names 14 times
Deirdre is an uncommon baby name in France where it may not be used now. Deirdre is a rare baby name in England and Wales where it may not be used now. But Deirdre is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 7000 have the name. As per our research, over 60000 people has been named Deirdre globally.
Deirdre in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Deirdre
You lack self-discipline. Your decision to keep fighting for things even when they're falling apart sometimes ruins self-confidence. Having letter D as your cornerstone reveals your realistic attitude toward life. You are an amazing person. If you want to keep someone by your side for longer, learn how to express emotions. People who know you describe you as driven and ambitious. You want to prove to yourself and others that you can be successful in anything you chose to be.
Do you like Deirdre? Read these names too
- Nil - The curious unisex name Nil is used especially in Marathi, Spanish and Tamil is originated from Old Greek and Celtic, Nil means "Champion or Talktive Person"
- Maëlic - Maëlic's meaning is Prince or Lord is originated from Celtic
- Eres - Of Celtic origin, Outlandish and Modernistic Eres means "Wonderful" which is used chiefly in Finnish, Icelandic and Swedish is aimed at baby girls
- Brandan - Frequently Used Brandan is used commonly in Faroese, Swedish and English commonly aimed at both boys and girls, Brandan means "Sword, Name of a Saint or Traveller" is originated from Old English and Celtic
- Envel - The Envel is originated from Celtic, meaning of Envel is "Happy or Chief"
Sibling Names for Deirdre
If you're looking for a sibling name for your little Deirdre, you've come to the right place! Whether you want something that perfectly complements Deirdre's unique sound or something that shares a similar style or origin, we've got plenty of suggestions to help you find the perfect name for your growing family. Here are some great options to consider.
Sister to Deirdre
Brother to Deirdre
Famous people named Deirdre
- Deirdre English, former editor of 'Mother Jones' and author of numerous articles for national publications and television documentaries
- Deirdre Gribbin, composer from Northern Ireland
- Deirdre Bair, American writer and biographer
- Deirdre Jordan, Australian academic and educator
- Deirdre Cartwright, British guitarist and composer
- Deirdre Hutton, and "The great quango hopper"
- Deirdre Lenihan, American actress
- Deirdre Madden, Irish writer from Toomebridge, County Antrim
- Deirdre Purcell, Irish author
- Deirdre McCloskey, Distinguished Professor of Economics, History
- Deirdre Gogarty, retired Irish female boxer and current coach of the Ragin' Cajun Boxing Club
- Deirdre Clune, Irish politician
- Deirdre Flint, satirical folk-rock singer/songwriter
- Deirdre Grusovin, Labor member of the New South Wales Parliament for over twenty five years
- Deirdre Lovejoy, American actress
- Deirdre Shannon, Irish singer
- Deirdre Quinn, American actress
- Deirdre Imus, American author
- Deirdre Keir in The Last of the Blonde Bombshells as Producer
- Deirdre Dowling in Episode #1.6 as Producer
- Deirdre L. Cowden in Flashdance as Actress
- Deirdre McAliskey in Some Mother's Son as Actress
- Deirdre O'Brien in The Snapper as Actress
- Deirdre Bolton in Episode dated 12 June 2015 as
- Deirdre Devlin in Threesome: A How To as Actress
- Deirdre Horgan in Now You See Me as Miscellaneous Crew
- Deirdre Brennan in Dead Man Working as Actress
- Deirdre Berthrong in Carrie as Actress
- Actor Deirdre Atkinson, noted for video Three Musketeers
- Deirdre Hade, from 1998 drama film Deirdre's Party, who characterized the Deirdre.
- In 1988 action and adventure film, Joyriders, Deirdre Donoghue characterized Dolores Flynn.
Lists having Deirdre
- Girl names beginning with D
- American Girl Names
- Celtic Girl Names
- English Girl Names
- Irish Girl Names
- Gaelic Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1997)
- Baby Names that mean Sorrowful
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful
- Baby Names that mean Woman
- Baby Names that mean Ancient
- Baby Names that mean King
- Baby Names that mean Young
- Baby Names that mean Girl