Portia name meaning
On This Page
What does Portia mean?
Used specifically in English eternal and admired, Portia means "Hog, Pig, A Gift, Offering, Roman Clan Name or The Heroine of Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice" and came from Latin is used for both boys and girls.
Portia is Latin cognate of familyPorcius itself possibly porcus.
Is Portia suitable to use as a baby name?
Portia is a unique and elegant baby girl name that has gained popularity in recent years. It has a classic and timeless charm, which makes it stand out from other modern names.
Portia also has a certain sophistication and refinement to it, which can be attributed to its Latin origin. Despite its meaning being "pig," the name holds no negative connotations, but rather symbolizes strength, tenacity, and intelligence - traits that are desirable for any child.
Its short and sweet nature makes it easy to spell and pronounce, while its distinctiveness sets it apart from common names such as Emma or Sophia. Overall, Portia is an excellent choice for parents who want a unique yet simple name with a touch of elegance.
How do I pronounce Portia?
Two syllabled Portia is pronounced as p(o)-rtia. The name can also be pronounced as por-tia.
Variants of PortiaNames that rhyme with Portia
How popular is the name Portia?
In United States, Portia was once a common name since emerging in 1882 it has been given to over 10520 babies. When at the peak of its usage in 1949,. However after 129 years, the name is on free fall on the charts.
Portia is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 800 names. In 2000, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 748 on girl names chart when 32 babies were named Portia.
There are over 469 babies that have been given the name Portia in England and Wales.
But Portia is a popular baby name in South Africa where every 1 in 2000 have the name as well as in, Ghana and Zimbabwe.
At least, 100000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our findings.
What numbers say about Portia?
You prefer to deal with things that matter and leave out all the rest. You have a curious mind and wish to explore the world. You don't care about how others see you as long as you are feeling good about yourself. You can't stand people without a purpose. People see you as their leader because of your attitude, determination, and creative thinking. To have 7 as your soul urge number reflects the urge of your spirit to be free.
Other names liked by would be parents that are similar to Portia
- Xaxtin - Xaxtin means "Majestic" has its origin in Latin language
- Adrian - Origin of Cherished and All time favorite Adrian is in Latin language is a gender insensitive name notably used in Faroese, Icelandic and Polish, meaning of Adrian is "Adriatic from the Stem End or Dark One"
- Ave - Outlandish Ave especially is used in Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish is of Old English and Latin origin and a unisex name, meaning of Ave is "Hail, Be Well"
- Noelle - Originated from Latin, Customary Noelle is used in French, Norwegian and English bestowed upon both genders, Noelle means "Birthday or Born on Christmas"
- Moris - Meaning of Moris is Dark-skinned or Moorish is a boy name. It is rooted from Latin is used dominantly in Norwegian, Finnish and Gujarati
Middle names for Portia
We've compiled a list of the short and familiar middle names for Portia below.
View more middle names that goes with Portia.
Famous people named Portia
- Portia de Rossi, Australian and American model, philanthropist
- Portia White, Canadian operatic contralto
- Portia Simpson-Miller, Jamaican politician
- Portia Perez, professional wrestler
- Portia Reiners, American actress
- Portia Berman in Tomatoes as Actress
- Portia Carey-Tidbury in Episode #2.4 as Actress
- Portia Bradley in My Year Without Sex as Actress
- Portia Scott in Billy Strayhorn: Lush Life as Casting Director
- Portia Cue in The Middle as Actress
- Portia Backus in The Whisperer in Darkness as Actress
- Portia Victoria in Charlotte as Actress
- Portia Nelson in All My Children as Actress
- Portia Doubleday is an American actress.
- Portia Dawson portrayed the vital role of Patricia in 1999 comedy, drama flick Dreamers.
- In 2013, Portia Thomas played the role of Libby in comedy and drama film The Bet.
Lists having Portia
- Boys names beginning with P
- Girls names beginning with P
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Girl names that ends with -tia
- Baby Names that mean Gift
- Baby Names that mean Offering
- Baby Names that mean Roman
- Baby Names that mean Clan
- Baby Names that mean Heroine