Sonny name meaning
On This Page
What does Sonny mean?
Prevailing and Enduring Sonny has its origin in Old English, Old French and English is used among Sikhs, Norwegian, Finnish, Hindi, Danish, Swedish and English bestowed upon both sexes, Sonny means "A Young Boy, Son, A Nickname and Given Name, Youngster, Like a Bear or Sun".
Sonny is variant of prevalent and perpetual Mason. Originated from Old English and Old French, Prevalent and Perpetual Mason, Mason means "Mason, Stone Worker and Stoneworker". Sonny is variant form of preeminent and ceaseless Madison.
Madison is shortened form of MadeleineMatthew. Preeminent and Ceaseless Madison mostly is used in English and English has its origin in Hebrew and English, meaning of Madison is "Son of Madde, Child of Mighty Warrior and Son of Maud"..
Sonny is a variation of frequently used and perennial Orson. Origin of Frequently Used and Perennial Orson is in Latin and Old French is dominantly used in French and English, meaning of Orson is "Bear Like, Ors and Inspired By a Family Name".
Sonny is short version of Grayson. Meaning of Grayson is Son of Grave Son of the Steward, Son of Grave and Son of the Gray-haired Man is of Old English origin.
How do I pronounce Sonny?
The proper pronunciation of two syllabled Sonny is s(on)-ny.
Variants of SonnyNames that rhyme with Sonny
How popular is the name Sonny?
Sonny is a popular name in England and Wales given to over 10145 babies in 23 years. Presently the name is rising, in 2012, the moniker grabbed the 90th spot and 686 baby boys were given the name.
In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 5 times A common name in United States with over 17610 new-borns have been given the name since 1888.
Currently the name is hotter than ever, the moniker grabbed the 427th spot and 379 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the first name has been in Also, In France, Sonny was once a common name since emerging in 1957 it has been given to over 2576 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 1994,. But after 57 years, the name has lost its appeal a bit and is now ranking low. Also, Sonny is common in New South Wales where over 314 new-borns have been given the name since 2016.
Recently peaking at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 85th spot and 109 baby boys were given the name. Also, Sonny was a common name in Queensland. Over 350 babies have been named Sonny since 2016.
When at the peak of its usage in 2017,. After 4 years, the name has past its prime.
In Ireland, Sonny is a familiar name where it has been in use since 2001 and has secured the place in top 200 names.
Recently in 2019, 65 babies were given Sonny and it reached its peak ranking, 103 on boy names chart. Over 393 people have been named Sonny in Ireland. Also, in Victoria, in just 4 years, it has made it to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2017, 92 babies were given Sonny and it reached its peak ranking, 78 on boy names chart. There are over 338 babies that have been given the name Sonny in Victoria.
Sonny is an uncommon baby name in Belgium where it may not be used now. But Sonny is a popular baby name in Philippines where every 1 in 2000 have the name as well as in Indonesia.
At least, 160000 people globally have been given the name as per our findings.
Sonny in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Sonny
Your charm is guilty of the success you enjoy right now or will do in the future. You are probably spontaneous, charming, flexible, acting wisely from time to time, and have a superior attitude. You hypnotize people with your eyes and the way you talk. If someone doubts your skills, let it be. You know who you are and that should be enough. You should be more careful with your actions. You can hurt people with your recklessness.
You would love these names similar to Sonny
- Geri - Especially used in Danish, Old Danish and Swedish eminent, Geri is originated from Germanic and Old French and a gender-neutral name, meaning of Geri is "Rule or Spear Ruler". Eminent name Geri captured 500th position on baby girl names chart in 1958 in United States
- Tessie - Used particulary in Norwegian, Swedish and Danish eternal and trendy, Tessie means "Headband for the Head, Fourth Child or Guardian". Its origin is in Old Greek and Latin is aimed at both boys and girls
- Gannon - Gannon's meaning is Fair or Descendant of the Fair One is a baby boy name has its roots in Old Irish and Gaelic is used in Malayalam and Kannada
- Carlene - Meaning of Carlene is Little or Feminine for came from Germanic and English, mostly used in English is given to girls
- Augustine - Augustine's meaning is The Dignified, Dignity or Worthy of Respect used for both boys and girls, used specifically in Norwegian and German is originated from Latin
Famous people named Sonny
- Sonny Til, American singer
- Sonny Vincent, American punk rock musician
- Sonny Banks, American boxer best
- Sonny Burke, American musical arranger, composer
- Sonny Kay, visual artist and musician
- Sonny Mehta, current editor-in-chief of Alfred A. Knopf and chairman of the Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
- Sonny Ates, American racecar driver
- Sonny Berman, American jazz trumpeter
- Sonny Cunha, American composer, bandleader, pianist, singer
- Sonny Knowles, Irish singer
- Sonny Grosso, movie and television producer and former New York City Police Department detective
- Sonny Parker, Welsh rugby union footballer
- Sonny Dunham, American trumpet player and bandleader
- Sonny Whitelaw, author of several contemporary ecothriller and speculative fiction novels including five 'Stargate' novels
- Sonny Melendrez, American radio and TV personality
- Sonny Osborne, bluegrass singer and five-string banjo player
- Sonny Fisher, American singer, songwriter, and guitarist
- Sonny Thompson, American R&B bandleader and pianist
- Sonny Schmidt, New Zealand-born Samoan professional bodybuilder
- Sonny Bravo, Afro-Cuban jazz and Latin jazz pianist
- Sonny Vaccaro, American former sports marketing executive
- Sonny Dixon, retired in May 2015 as lead anchor of 'THE News at 5 & 6' and "WTOC PRIME" on WTOC-TV
- Sonny Umpad, blogspot
- Sonny Horne, professional boxer in the 1940s
- Sonny West, rock and roll songwriter and musician
- Sonny Bono, American singer-songwriter, producer, actor
- Sonny Carter, Manley Lanier "Sonny" Carter Jr
- Sonny & Cher, were an American duo of entertainers made up of husband-and-wife Sonny Bono and Cher
- Sonny Liston, American professional boxer
- Sonny Fortune, American jazz saxophonist
- Sonny Rollins, American jazz tenor saxophonist
- Sonny Boy Williamson II, American blues harmonica player
- Sonny Tufts, American stage, film
- Sonny Clark, American jazz pianist
- Sonny Sharrock, American jazz guitarist
- Sonny Werblin, prominent entertainment industry executive and sports impresario
- Sonny Perdue, He previously served as the 81st Governor of Georgia
- Sonny Landham, American film actor and stunt man
- Sonny Chiba, Japanese actor, singer, film producer
- Sonny Chillingworth, Edwin Bradfield Liloa Chillingworth, Jr
- Sonny Shroyer, Otis Burt "Sonny" Shroyer, Jr
- Sonny Boy Williamson I, American blues harmonica player
- Sonny Terry, musical artist
- Sonny Stitt, Edward Hammond Boatner Jr
- Sonny Jurgensen, former American football quarterback
- Sonny Callahan, American businessman and politician from Alabama
- Sonny Sandoval, American singer and rapper
- Sonny Barger, founding member of the Oakland, California
- Sonny James, American country music singer and songwriter best
- Sonny Criss, American jazz musician
- Sonny Vue in Gran Torino as Actor
- Sonny Jones in Silent Rage as Actor
- Sonny Skyhawk in Young Guns II as Actor
- Sonny Fox in The Movie Game as
- Sonny Markham in Trying It on for Size as Actor
- Sonny Lahey in Jensen & Jensen as Actor
- Sonny Mario Ayon in Freedom Writers as Actor
- Sonny King in Eraser as Actor
- Sonny Vellozzi in I Don't Know as Actor
- Sonny Barnes is well-known for his acting in movie Truck Turner
- In 1963, Sonny Benneweis played the role of N in documentary, musical movie Sexy proibito.
- In 1995 flick, Xin she mo nu, Sonny Chang characterized Treasure Hunter #2.
- In 1974 action, drama film, The Black Connection, Sonny Charles played Bruiser.
- In 1939, Sonny Lamont characterized the role of Dumpy in western movie The Adventures of the Masked Phantom.
- Sonny Mandal played the central role of Bobby Dhillon in 2006 drama flick The Gold Bracelet.
- Sonny McDon, from 1996 action, thriller flick Domitilla, who portrayed the N.
- In 1989 action flick, The Fastest Gun Alive of WPD, Sonny Parsons played Sgt. Mariano Niñonuevo.
- Sonny Su, from 1995 action movie Dao, who played Siu Ling.
- In 1995 drama, horror movie, Permainan Binal, Sonny Dewantara portrayed Rico.
- In 2013 horror, thriller film, After Dark, Sonny Bermudez played Jenn's Boyfriend.
- Sonny Cortez portrayed main character of N in 1973 action film Panic!.
Lists having Sonny
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Young
- Baby Names that mean Son
- Baby Names that mean Bear
- Baby Names that mean Sun