Leonidas name meaning
What does Leonidas mean?
Of Old Greek, Latin and Germanic origin, Cherished and All time favorite Leonidas bestowed upon boys, used largely in Danish, English, Greek, Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian, Leonidas means "Son of Léon or Lion Strong". Leonidas is Greek form of Leo. Also Leonidas is equivalent of Leonard in Greek language. Also Leonidas is equivalent of Leon in Latin and Greek languages.
How do I pronounce Leonidas?
The most common way to pronounce one syllabled Leonidas is leh-oh-NEE-das. There should be emphasis on third NEE syllable while speaking. lee-oh-NYE-dus or le(o)-ni-das are the different way(s) to pronounce the name.
Variants of Leonidas
Leonides, Leo, Leonard, Leon, Leona, Lavi, Laya, Lenny, Napoleon, Leonan
View middle names that goes with Leonidas like Rock, Blis, Bean, Acen, Siam,Names that rhyme with Leonidas
How popular is the name Leonidas?
Leonidas was a popular name in United States. Over 5737 babies have been named Leonidas since 1880. When at its peak in 2017, 591 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 496th position. However after 114 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 500 baby names 1 times
Leonidas is a familiar baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1997 and was able to reach the top 600 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 517 on boy names chart when 76 babies were named Leonidas. There are over 648 babies that have been given the name Leonidas in England and Wales. Leonidas is an uncommon baby name in France, although it has been in use since 1900 but could not make beyond the top 500. Over 107 babies in France have been named Leonidas. Also, it is uncommon in Switzerland, where it has been in use since 1998 and peaked in 2012 when it ranked 511st. Over 112 babies in Switzerland have been named Leonidas.
Leonidas is a rare baby name in Ireland still in use today. But Leonidas is a popular baby name in Burundi where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Peru, Brazil, Greece, Colombia, Dominican Republic and Ecuador. At least, 160000 people globally have been given the name as per our findings.
Leonidas in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Leonidas
You are a good friend who listens and never judges. Give yourself some personal space to think. You don't depend on anyone in any way. Searching for answers can sometimes make you feel miserable and disappoint you because you can't find answers to all your questions. You are a blessed person even if you don't know it yet. Your soul is playful and young. You are still fragile as a human being and care deeply about people.
Other names similar to Leonidas, for would be parents
- Violet - Used largely in Danish and Finnish persistent and commonly accepted, Violet aimed at both genders, Violet means "Viola or Violet Flower" is of Latin and English origin
- Rosiane - Meaning of Rosiane is Flower and Anna is a baby girl name is rooted from Latin. Rosiane is derived from Rosanne.
- Boni - Curious unisex name Boni is of Latin origin, meaning of Boni is "Man of Decency"
- Erika - Illustrous Erika is used substantially in Icelandic, Slavic and Finnish, Erika means "Honor or Powerful King, Sole Ruler or Ruler Forever", a gender insensitive name has origin in Latin, Greek and German
- Cecilius is originated from Latin, Cecilius means "Blind" is a baby boy name is mostly used in Swedish and Dutch
Famous people named Leonidas
- Leonidas I, warrior king of the Greek city-state of Sparta
- Leonidas Pyrgos, Greek fencer
- Leonidas II, 28th Agiad King of Sparta from 254 to 235 BC.
- Leonidas Langakis, Greek shooter
- Leonidas Morakis, Greek shooter
- Leonidas Lent Hamline, American Methodist Episcopal bishop and a lawyer
- Leonidas Tapia, Puebloan potter from Ohkay Owingeh, New Mexico
- Leonidas Kouris, Greek politician; former mayor of Athens and prefect of eastern Attica
- Leonidas Warren Payne Jr., Leonidas Warren Payne Jr
- Leonidas Berry, American and pioneer in gastroscopy and endoscopy
- Leonidas Sexton, U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Leonidas D. Robinson, U.S. Representative from North Carolina
- Leonidas Resvanis, physicist known for his work with neutrinos
- Leonidas Alaoglu, mathematician,
- Leonidas Polk, planter in Maury County, Tennessee,USA
- Leonidas L. Polk, American farmer, journalist and political figure
- Leonidas Kavakos, Greek violinist and conductor
- Leonidas C. Dyer, American politician, reformer
- Leonidas C. Houk, American politician and a member of the United States House of Representatives for the 2nd congressional district of Tennessee
- Leonidas Panagopoulos, Greek footballer
- Leonidas Kampantais, Greek footballer
- Leonidas Kestekides, Greek chocolate manufacturer
- Leonidas Paraskevopoulos, senior Greek military officer and politician
- Leonidas F. Livingston, U.S. Representative from Georgia
- Leonidas of Rhodes, was one of the most famous ancient Olympic runners
- Leonidas Ossetynski in The Man in the Glass Booth as Actor
- Leonidas Bayer is well-known for his acting in movie The Guns
Lists having Leonidas
- Boy names beginning with L
- American Boy Names
- English Boy Names
- German Boy Names
- Greek Boy Names
- Latin Boy Names
- Danish Boy Names
- Finnish Boy Names
- Norwegian Boy Names
- Swedish Boy Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Baby Names that mean Son
- Baby Names that mean Lion
- Baby Names that mean Strong