Lucy name meaning
On This Page
What does Lucy mean?
Used substantially in Danish, Finnish, English, Swedish and Norwegian durable and famed, Lucy is used as a gender-neutral name, Lucy means "Bringer of Light, Illumination, Shining or Born At Daybreak" has origin in Latin.
Lucy is form of trendy and perpetual Lucie. Lucie is variant of widely accepted and virtuous Lucy. Also Lucie is a variant form of acclaimed and evergreen Lucia. Acclaimed and Evergreen Lucie came from Latin and French, meaning of Lucie is "Light, Born At Daybreak and The Bright".
Lucy is diminutive of Lucia. Lucia is variant of widespread and long standing Lucy. Lucia is feminine variant of Lucius. Lucia is equivalent of Lucie in Italian language. Desirable and Perennial Latin Lucia, meaning of Lucia is "Born At Daybreak, Bringer of Light and The Light of India"..
It is celebrated on December 13th.
How Lucy is perceived as a baby name?
Lucy is a charming and timeless name that has been a popular choice for parents for generations. It is a name that exudes simplicity, grace, and elegance.
The name gained popularity due to its association with the Latin word for light, which represents purity and enlightenment. Besides its meaning, Lucy also boasts of delightful sounds that add to its appeal.
It is a classic name, yet still feels fresh and modern. Lucy has the potential to be playful but great for all ages. It's a versatile name that can suit any child's personality, from shy to outgoing or adventurous to calm.
Overall, Lucy is an excellent choice for parents who want their baby girl's name to symbolize brightness and radiance while also being memorable and catchy.
How do I pronounce Lucy?
The two syllabled name Lucy is commonly pronounced as loo-see.
Variants of Lucy
Nicknames for Lucy
Though Lucy itself is a short name but that doesn't mean that you cannot have nicknames. See the list below:Names that rhyme with Lucy
How popular is the name Lucy?
Lucy was a popular name in United States. Over 203155 babies have been given the first name in 208 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1880, it ranked 44th when 4568 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 208 years but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the name has been to the top 50 baby names 6 times Also, Lucy was among the popular names in England and Wales.
Since emerging in 1996 around 67060 babies have been given the first name. When at the peak of its usage in 2003, the moniker grabbed the 7th spot and 4515 baby girls were given the name.
However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 8 times
Lucy is common in Ireland where over 4228 new-borns have been given the name since 1964.
Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 2008, it ranked 11st when 418 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, In France, Lucy was once a common name since emerging in 1900 it has been given to over 7753 babies.
At its zenith in 2015,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 74 years but it is still in a strong position. Also, Lucy is common in New South Wales where over 6241 new-borns have been given the name since 1988.
Currently the name is rising, in 2012, it ranked 20th when 254 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, A common name in Queensland with over 2908 new-borns have been given the name since 2002.
Recently the name is rising, in 2011, 197 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 15th position. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 18 times Also, Lucy was a common name in Western Australia.
Over 118 babies have been named Lucy since 2019. When at its peak in 2019,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 1 times Also, Lucy used to be a common name in Victoria, first appeared in 2008 and over 2076 babies have been given the name in 11 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2010,. However after 11 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 11 times
Lucy is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2013, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 103 on girl names chart when 73 babies were given the name Lucy. Over 916 babies in Switzerland have been named Lucy.
Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 200 names. Recently in 2019, 96 babies were given Lucy and it reached its peak ranking, 155 on girl names chart.
Over 387 babies in Netherlands have been named Lucy. Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names. In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 117 on girl names chart when 87 babies were given the name Lucy.
Over 806 babies in Belgium have been named Lucy.
Lucy is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today. Over 118 people have been named Lucy in Western Australia.
However things change on global perspective, Lucy is extremely popular in Kenya where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Nigeria, Tanzania and England. Also the baby name is popular in Uganda, Malawi, Brazil, Ghana, Colombia, Peru, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, Philippines, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Zambia, Canada, India, Australia, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Cameroon, Bolivia, Egypt, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile, Malaysia, Venezuela, Indonesia and New Zealand.
As per our estimate, over 1370000 people has been named Lucy globally.
Lucy in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Lucy
You are a person of change and spontaneity. Give yourself some personal space to think. You need time to heal and recover. You are not very good when it comes to romantic relationships. You need to take a deep breath, look at all the beauty surrounding you today and just live? You are being too hard on people when it comes to their beliefs because you feel the constant urge to prove your theories.
If you like Lucy, you would love these names
- Grazio primarily is used in Italian, meaning of Grazio is "Thank You" which originated from Latin
- Mamertus means Son of Mamers used for baby boys and is used specifically in Swedish and Finnish is originated from Latin
- Christabel - Offbeat Christabel came from Latin and English bestowed upon girls, meaning of Christabel is "-Bel or Beautiful Christian" is especially used in Danish and English
- Solidea - Meaning of Solidea is Only for God is of Latin origin which is used commonly in Italian is aimed at girls
- Mercedesse - Origin of Mercedesse is in Latin, meaning of Mercedesse is "Salary, Price or Favor"
Famous people named Lucy
- Lucy Skaer, contemporary Scottish artist
- Lucy Clifford, Mrs
- Lucy Hay, Countess of Carlisle, English courtier known for her beauty and wit
- Lucy Hutchinson, English translator, poet, and biographer
- Lucy Grealy, Irish-American poet and memoirist
- Lucy Horodny, Australian politician and environmentalist
- Lucy M. Boston, English novelist who wrote for children and adults
- Lucy Smith, Norwegian legal scholar and professor of law at the University of Oslo
- Lucy Simon, American composer for the theatre and popular songs
- Lucy Ferry, British model and London socialite
- Lucy Hannah,
- Lucy Kibaki, wife of former Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki and was First Lady of Kenya
- Lucy Burman, writer
- Lucy O'Brien, author and journalist whose work focuses on women
- Lucy d'Abreu,
- Lucy Komisar, New York City-based investigative journalist
- Lucy Taxis Shoe Meritt, classical archaeologist and a scholar of Greek architectural ornamentation and mouldings
- Lucy Isabella Buckstone, English actress born to a noted British stage family
- Lucy Soutter, former professional squash player from England
- Lucy Seki, Brazilian linguist specializing
- Lucy Wangui Kabuu, Kenyan long-distance runner
- Lucy Booth, eighth and youngest child of Catherine and William Booth
- Lucy Moore, British-born historian and writer
- Lucy Fitch Perkins, American illustrator and writer of children's books
- Lucy Blackman, first functionally non-verbal person with autism
- Lucy Hockings, BBC broadcast journalist and news presenter
- Lucy Broadwood, English folksong collector and researcher during the late 19th and early 20th centuries
- Lucy Harris, wife of Martin Harris
- Lucy Wills, leading English haematologist
- Lucy Walker, English film director
- Lucy van Dael, Dutch baroque violinist and member of the faculty of the Amsterdam Conservatory
- Lucy Cavendish, pioneer of women's education
- Lucy Payton, American silent film actress
- Lucy Faithfull, Baroness Faithfull, British social worker and children's campaigner
- Lucy Carr, British singer and model
- Lucy Irvine, British adventurer and author
- Lucy Brocadelli, Dominican tertiary
- Lucy McKenzie, artist, and former adult model, based in Brussels
- Lucy Hastings, seventeenth-century English poet
- Lucy Hadi, was Secretary of the Florida Department of Children and Families
- Lucy Russell, Countess of Bedford, major aristocratic patron of the arts and literature in the Elizabethan and Jacobean eras
- Lucy Evelina Metcalf Akerman, American Unitarian writer
- Lucy Johnston Sypher, wrote a series of four children's books based loosely on her childhood
- Lucy Aldrich, philanthropist and art collector
- Lucy Barnes Brown, early American amateur golfer
- Lucy Chege, volleyball player from Kenya
- Lucy Jones, seismologist and public voice for earthquake science and earthquake safety
- Lucy Meacock, English journalist and presenter employed by ITV Granada
- Lucy Hobbs Taylor, school teacher and a dentist
- Lucy Lloyd, creator, along with Wilhelm Bleek
- Lucy Maud Montgomery, Canadian author best
- Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of President Rutherford B. Hayes and served as First Lady of the United States
Lists having Lucy
- Boys names beginning with L
- Girls names beginning with L
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that starts with Luc
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2017)
- Popular Girl Names in Western Australia (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Bringer
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean Daylight
- Baby Names that mean Shining