Sonja meaning and origin
The commonly accepted unisex name Sonja means "Wisdom, Wise or Skill", predominantly used in Finnish, Greenlandic, German, English, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Russian, Scandinavian, Icelandic, Slavic, Faroese and Norwegian is rooted from Old Greek. Sonja is version of timeless and pleasing Sophia. Sophia is equivalent of The Greek Name Σοφια in Latin language. Sophia's meaning is Graceful and Skill has origin in Old Greek.. The name is celebrated on May 25th.
Variants of SonjaNames that rhyme with Sonja
Popularity of Sonja
Sonja was a popular name in United States. Over 39121 babies have been named Sonja since 1906. When at its peak in 1938, 1337 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 180th position. After 114 years, the name has past its prime. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 500 baby names 44 times Sonja is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names. In 2000, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 129 on girl names chart when 58 babies were given the name Sonja. Over 521 people have been named Sonja in Switzerland.
Sonja is a unique baby name in France, it had been in use since 1925 and was last seen in 2004, during its 66 years of usage, it was able to reach the top 400 names. In 1945, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 330 on girl names chart when 42 babies were named Sonja. There are over 891 babies that have been given the name Sonja in France. Sonja is an uncommon baby name in England and Wales where it has been in use since 1996 and achieved its top ranking of 1970 in 1999. In Ireland, it has been in use since 1965 and achieved its top ranking of 289 in 1971.
Sonja is a rare baby name in Finland where it may not be used now. And also in Belgium. However things change on global perspective, Sonja is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 500 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Austria, South Africa, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Canada and North Macedonia. As per our research, over 510000 babies have been bestowed Sonja around the globe.
Sonja in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Sonja
You don't have a lot of friends because of it. Your impulsiveness and short temper are your worst character traits you need to work on. When it comes to love, you are looking for someone trustworthy. You stand for inner strength, smartness, solitude, single, superior, sensitive, and everything that comes with an “s”. It's like you never get angry and anything can piss you off. You don't take love very seriously.
Looking for names similar to Sonja? Please go through the following names
- Ismena - Of Old Greek origin, Ismena is used in English used as a girl name, Ismena means "Wise"
- Doro - Meaning of Doro is Gift of God or Variant of the Greek Dorothy used for both genders, used substantially in English and Spanish is originated from Old Greek
- Artemisio - Old Greek name Artemisio is used mostly in Italian, meaning of Artemisio is "Artemis" is a baby boy name
- Basile - Prevalent boy name Basile is used in French and English, Basile means "Royal, Kingly or Monarch" came from Old Greek
- Aneya - Far-out Aneya is used primarily in Hindi and Marathi, Aneya means "Endless" aimed at baby girls is originated from Hebrew,Polish and Old Greek
Namesakes of Sonja
- Sonja Smolec, Croatian artist, writer, and poet
- Sonja Tallis, Australian actress, singer and drama teacher
- Sonja Lund, Swedish actress and dancer
- Sonja Ludvigsen, Norwegian politician, a member of the Labour Party
- Sonja Henning, American attorney and former collegiate and professional women's basketball player
- Sonja Irene Sjøli, Norwegian politician representing the Conservative Party
- Sonja Licht, sociologist and political activist
- Sonja Kesselschläger, German heptathlete
- Sonja Oberem, German athlete
- Sonja Steinacher, luger from Verdings/Klausen in South Tyrol
- Sonja Wiedemann, German luger who competed from 1999 to 2005
- Sonja McCaskie, British alpine skier
- Sonja Manzenreiter, Austrian luger who competed from 1997 to 2006
- Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen, Emeritus Reader in the Department of Geography at the University of Hull
- Sonja Henie, Norwegian figure skater and film star
- Sonja Smits, Canadian actress
- Sonja Sohn, American actress and director best
- Sonja Graf, German chess master
- Sonja Hogg, Her record at Baylor
- Sonja Davies, New Zealand trade unionist, peace campaigner
- Sonja Kirchberger, Austrian actress
- Sonja Bennett, Canadian actress and screenwriter
- Sonja Savić, cult Serbian actress
- Sonja Kolačarić, Serbian actress
- Sonja Skarstedt, Canadian poet, short story, playwright writer
- Sonja Kristina, English songwriter, musician and actress, best
- Sonja Nef, Swiss former alpine skier
- Sonja Åkesson, Swedish poet, writer, and artist born in Buttle
- Sonja Edström, retired Swedish cross-country skier
- Sonja Morgenstern, German figure skater and figure skating coach
- Sonja Mugoša, figure skater
- Sonja Lumme, singer in Finland
- Sonja Aldén, Swedish singer mostly famous for her 2006
- Sonja Richter, Danish actress
- Sonja Tol, Dutch épée fencer
- Sonja Fuss, German football defender
- Sonja Mobley in Buried in Tucson as Actress
- Sonja Christopher in Survivor: The Reunion as
- Sonja Sutter in Frauenschicksale as Actress
- Sonja Chan in Grimm's Snow White as Actress
- Sonja Meret Grüntzig in Kronos. Ende und Anfang as Actress
- Sonja Rom in Crazy as Cinematographer
- Sonja Damjanovic in T.T. Sindrom as Actress
- Sonja Klaus in X-Men: First Class as Set Decorator
- Sonja Heiss in Hotel Very Welcome as Director
- Sonja Škorić Sonja Skoric is a singer and songwriter who represented Serbia at the Eurovision Junior Festival 2010.
- Sonja Ball in TV series Samurai Pizza Cats as Actress
- In 1987 action and drama film, Last Man Standing, Sonja Belliveau played Charlie.
- Sonja Divac, from 1977 drama flick Miris poljskog cveca, who portrayed the Sonja.
- In 2001, Sonja Dunson played the role of Sonja in drama and music film You Can't Buy Love.
- In 1958 drama, thriller film, Savnet siden mandag, Sonja Heiberg portrayed N.
- In 1976 adventure and comedy film, La figliastra (Storia di corna e di passione), Sonja Jeannine played Daniela.
- In 1949 drama, war flick, Zastava, Sonja Kastl characterized Marija.
- In 2020 action film, Kljuc, Sonja Kolacaric characterized Proffesor.
- In 1961, Sonja Marrero played the role of N in drama flick Rebellion in Cuba.
- Sonja Martin, from 1988 drama, romance film Plaza Real, who characterized the Lisa.
- Sonja Mjøen played the main character of Edith in 1927 adventure and crime flick Madame besøker Oslo.
- In 2000 comedy and drama movie, Ternitz, Tennessee, Sonja Romei played Betty.
- Sonja Savic played the central character of Sonja in 2001 drama movie Kruh in mleko.
- Sonja Schöner, from 1955 flick Rauschende Melodien, who played Adele.
- In 1975 comedy flick, Die Kleine mit dem süßen Po, Sonja Sitar played Birgit.
- Sonja Wigert played central character of Sonja Larsen in 1940 comedy movie Hennes melodi.
- In 1943 comedy film, Geliebter Schatz, Sonja Ziemann played Lette Eilers.
- In 1988 drama flick, Za sada bez dobrog naslova, Sonja Jaceveska portrayed N.
- In 2002 comedy movie, Amir, Sonja Pavsic characterized Upokojenka.
- Sonja Wanda, from 2017 adventure, drama film Par instinct, who played Beauty.
- Sonja O'Hara characterized leading character of Calpurnia Dylan in 2015 comedy, drama flick Ovum.
- In 2014, Sonja Kinski played the role of Fran in drama, thriller movie Dark Hearts.
Lists having Sonja
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Russian Baby Names
- Slavic Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Baby Names that mean Wisdom
- Baby Names that mean Wise
- Baby Names that mean Skill