Sophia name meaning
What does Sophia mean?
The name Sophia is of Greek origin and means "wisdom". In English, it means "wise woman". All of these different meanings make the name Sophia unique and special.
It has been a popular name for girls in recent years. The name Sophia is also the name of the main character in the popular book series, "The Baby-sitters Club".
The name was popularized by the French during the Middle Ages but faded in popularity during the Renaissance. However, it regained popularity in the 17th century and has been common ever since.
Some famous people named Sophia include:
-Sophia Loren, Italian actress; -Sophia Coppola, American film director; -Sofia Vergara, Colombian actress; -Sophie Turner, English actress
If you're considering the name Sophia for your baby, know that you're choosing a name with a lot of meaning. It also has ties to royalty and nature. With such a beautiful and timeless name, your little one is sure to make an impression.
How do I pronounce Sophia?
The proper pronunciation of three syllabled Sophia is so-fee-ah. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., so-fee-uh.
Variants of Sophia
Fieke, Sonja, Sophie, Anasophia, Sophiagrace, Anna, Grace, Sona, Sofi, Sofie, Sophiemarie, Aenne, Anella, Anki, Hanna, Ans, Aemiliana, Anacarolina, Engracia, Graciane, Abigailgrace, Graceann, Gratia, Gráinne, Grazia
Nicknames for Sophia
Check out these nickaname options for baby name Sophia:
How popular is the name Sophia?
Sophia was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 350263 babies have been given the name. At the peak of its usage in 2011, it ranked 1st when 22292 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. However after 176 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 10 times Also, Sophia was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 35455 babies have been given the given name in 23 years. When at its peak in 2018, the moniker grabbed the 8th spot and 2855 baby girls were given the name. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 10 baby names 1 times
In Ireland, Sophia was once a common name since emerging in 1965 it has been given to over 3746 babies. At the peak of its usage in 2014,. However after 54 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Sophia was a common name in France. Over 14382 babies have been named Sophia since 1920. At the peak of its usage in 2017,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 90 years but it is still in a strong position. Also, A common name in Switzerland with over 3308 new-borns have been given the name since 1998. At its zenith in 2018, 273 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 14th position. Also, Sophia is a common name in Netherlands given to over 1191 babies in 5 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 42nd spot and 259 baby girls were given the name. Also, Sophia is a common name in Belgium given to over 1383 babies in 24 years. At its zenith in 2018, the moniker grabbed the 51st spot and 144 baby girls were given the name. Also, A common name in New South Wales with over 5409 new-borns have been given the name since 1997. At its zenith in 2019, the moniker grabbed the 9th spot and 415 baby girls were given the name. Also, A common name in Queensland with over 2780 new-borns have been given the name since 2000. When at its peak in 2013, it ranked 14th when 244 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Sophia is common in Victoria where over 1533 new-borns have been given the name since 2008. Recently at its peak, the moniker grabbed the 23rd spot and 168 baby boys were given the name.
Sophia is a familiar baby name in Western Australia, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 100 names. Recently in 2019, 77 babies were given Sophia and it reached its peak ranking, 24 on girl names chart. Sophia is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory where it is still in use. Sophia is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today. However things change on global perspective, Sophia is extremely popular in Tanzania where every 1 in 400 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Cambodia, Ghana, Uganda, South Africa, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Morocco, Nigeria, England, Israel, Haiti, Ethiopia, Zambia, Germany, Canada and Egypt. At least, 610000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our findings.
Sophia in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Sophia?
The best thing about you is your ability to hide your emotions when necessary in order to avoid getting hurt. Replace your comfort zone with adventures and the fear of the unknown with excitement to experience and learn new things. You don't allow yourself to get carried away and take advantage of people only because they like you and admire your personality. If you can buy it with money, it means it's cheap.
Other names similar to Sophia
- Fairoz is used mostly in Arabic and Arabic bestowed upon both sexes, Fairoz means "Turquoise"
- Haimi - Unisex name Haimi is dominantly used in Telugu and Hindi has its roots in Sanskrit, Haimi means "Snow, Goddess Parvati or Golden"
- Manaal means Achievement or A Bird is used particulary in Marathi and Hindi is a gender insensitive name
- Thuraya - Meaning of Thuraya is Star aimed at girls is mainly used in Hindi, Arabic and Kannada
- Namrah means Brave or Tigress is used mainly in Bengali, Kannada and Marathi is a baby girl name
Middle names for Sophia
Here is a list of familiar and cute middle names that go with the baby name Sophia.
View more middle names that goes with Sophia.
Famous people named Sophia
- Sophia Forero, jewelry designer
- Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen, Portuguese poet and writer
- Sophia Ripley, 19th-century feminist associated with Transcendentalism and the Brook Farm community
- Sophia Karp, Romanian-born Jewish actress and soprano
- Sophia Dussek, Scottish singer, pianist, harpist
- Sophia Rosoff, American pianist and educator
- Sophia Kokosalaki, Greek fashion designer based in London
- Sophia Skou, former butterfly swimmer from Denmark
- Sophia Grojsman, Belarus-born American perfumer
- Sophia Danenberg, American mountain climber best known as the first African American and the first black woman to climb to the summit of Mount Everest
- Sophia Kingdom, daughter of William Kingdom
- Sophia Stacey, '
- Sophia Yin, veterinarian, applied animal behaviorist
- Sophia George, Jamaican singer
- Sophia Eberlein, German
- Sophia B. Packard, American educator, cofounder in Atlanta, Georgia
- Sophia Amirajibi, was one of the best translators of Georgian poetry into Russian
- Sophia of Rome, is venerated as a Christian martyr
- Sophia Wintz, Swiss-born British philanthropist
- Sophia von Kielmansegg, Countess of Darlington, German-born British courtier and a half-sister of George I of Great Britain
- Sophia Hayden, scientist
- Sophia Brahe, Danish horticulturalist with knowledge of astronomy
- Sophia of Hanover, Electress of Hanover from 1692 to 1698
- Sophia Loren, Italian film actress and singer
- Sophia Baddeley, English actress, singer and courtesan
- Sophia of Nassau, was Queen consort of Sweden and Norway
- Sophia Palaiologina, Byzantine princess
- Sophia Alekseyevna of Russia, ruled as regent of Russia from 1682 to 1689
- Sophia Perovskaya, Russian revolutionary and a member of the socialist revolutionary organization Narodnaya Volya
- Sophia Hawthorne, painter and illustrator as well as the wife of American author Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Sophia Dorothea of Hanover, Queen consort
- Sophia Jex-Blake, English physician, teacher and feminist
- Sophia Smith, wealthy farmer, and six siblings
- Sophia Charlotte of Hanover, first Queen consort
- Sophia Magdalena of Denmark, was Queen of Sweden as the spouse of King Gustav III
- Sophia Bush, American actress, fashion model and activist
- Sophia Myles, English actress
- Sophia Lee, English novelist, dramatist and educator
- Sophia of Prussia, was Queen consort of Greece during 1913–1917 and 1920–1922
- Sophia Leung, Canadian politician
- Sophia Dorothea of Celle, repudiated wife of future King George I of Great Britain
- Sophia McDougall, British novelist, playwright, and poet
- Sophia D. Stoddard, American educator
- Sophia Parnok, Russian poet, journalist and translator
- Sophia Yan, American classical pianist
- Sophia Collier, American investor, artist and entrepreneur
- Sophia of Bavaria, Queen of Bohemia and the spouse of Wenceslaus
- Sophia Desta, youngest daughter of 'Ras' Desta Damtew and Princess Tenagnework Haile Selassie
- Sophia Albertina, Abbess of Quedlinburg, last Princess-Abbess of Quedlinburg Abbey
- Sophia Morrison, Manx cultural activist
- Sophia Young, retired Vincentian/American professional women's basketball player with the San Antonio Stars
- Sophia of Halshany, Grand Duchy of Lithuania princess of Halshany
Lists having Sophia
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- Greek Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Russian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Wisdom
- Baby Names that mean Skill
- Baby Names that mean Graceful