Eric name meaning
What does Eric mean?
The name Eric is of Scandinavian origin, and is derived from the Old Norse name Eiríkr. The first known use of the name was in the 11th century, in the work the Poetic Edda. The name was popular amongst Viking settlers in England, and became less common after the Norman Conquest.
The use of the name Eric began to decline in the 20th century, but has seen a resurgence in recent years. This may be due in part to celebrities such as actor Eric Bana and musician Eric Clapton.
Some of the most famous Erics include:
Eric Clapton: A legendary musician who has won 18 Grammy Awards and been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Eric Bana: An Australian actor who has starred in films like "The Hulk" and "Star Trek".
Eric Holder: The first African American Attorney General of the United States.
Eric Cantona: A retired French footballer who is considered one of the greatest players of his generation.
There are many reasons why "Eric" is a good choice for a baby name. First, it is a strong name with a lot of meaning behind it. Second, "Eric" is a popular name, but not so popular that your child will be one of several in his or her class. Finally, the name "Eric" has a great history and meaning behind it. All of these factors combined make "Eric" an excellent choice for a baby name.
How does Eric feel as a baby name?
Eric is a strong and commanding name for a baby boy. Its Norse origin means "sole ruler" or "eternal ruler," giving the name an air of authority and leadership. Eric also has a timeless quality to it, as it has been popular for centuries and continues to remain in use today. The name is easy to spell and pronounce, making it a simple choice for parents who want something classic but not too common. Additionally, Eric has several potential nicknames, such as Rick or Ricky, which can make the name feel more approachable and friendly. Overall, Eric is an excellent choice for parents seeking a powerful yet enduring name for their baby boy.
How do I pronounce Eric?
The two syllabled name Eric is commonly pronounced as air-ik.
Variants of Eric
Airikr, Aaric, Aric, Audrick, Aldrich, Arik, Ericanthony, Erich, Frederick, Erik, Ewaric, Eirik, Bedrich, Fredi
Nicknames for Eric
Name Eric is already a short name, but some possible candidates include:Names that rhyme with Eric
How popular is the name Eric?
Eric was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 881415 babies have been given the name in 208 years. When at its peak in 1973, it ranked 13rd when 23583 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 208 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 44 times Also, Eric was among the n extremely popular names in France. Since emerging in 1900 around 318039 babies have been given the given name. When at its peak in 1961, it ranked 3rd when 20140 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 119 years. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 5 baby names 9 times Also, a popular name in Spain having over 16424 recievers in 15 years of usage. At the peak of its usage in 2014, the moniker grabbed the 31st spot and 1563 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 8 times
A common name in England and Wales having over 4240 recievers in 23 years of usage. At present at its peak, 470 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 124th position. Also, Eric used to be a common name in Ireland, first appeared in 1969 and over 1256 babies have been given the name in 23 years. At its zenith in 1996,. But after 23 years, the name has lost its appeal a bit and is now ranking low. Also, Eric used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1954 and over 280 babies have been given the name in 3 years. At the peak of its usage in 1954,. After 3 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
In Switzerland, Eric is a familiar name where it has been in use since 2002 and has secured the place in top 200 names. In 2014, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 105 on boy names chart when 86 babies were given the name Eric. Over 1141 babies in Switzerland have been named Eric. The first name is a unique baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 2001, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 293 on boy names chart when 37 babies were named Eric. Over 515 babies in Belgium have been named Eric. Also, during its short run of just 1 years in Queensland, it had made it to the top 100 names. In 1971, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 100 on boy names chart when 35 babies were named Eric.
Eric is a rare baby name in Queensland and may not be used now. However things change on global perspective, Eric is extremely popular in Ghana where every 1 in 200 have the name as well as in, Philippines, Burundi, Canada and Rwanda. Also the baby name is popular in Madagascar, Kenya, DR Congo, England, Cameroon, South Africa, Chad, Central African Republic, Mexico, Nigeria, Uganda, Congo, Brazil, Malaysia, Benin, Germany, Liberia, Togo, Ivory Coast, Panama, Sudan, Australia, Mozambique, Indonesia, Malawi, Chile, Gabon, China, Sierra Leone, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Scotland, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Burkina Faso, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Guinea, Zambia and Egypt. As per our evaluation, over 3490000 babies have been bestowed Eric around the globe.
Here's what numbers has to say about Eric
You possess great communication and organization skills, something many people admire you for. You enjoy challenges because they force you to extend your limits and give more than you thought you can. You are also a great storyteller and always share the best experiences. You are dominant and leadership comes out naturally for you. Nothing escapes your eye, your sense of smell is highly developed, such as your sense of touch.
Do you like Eric? Other names you would love
- Hannah - Unfading and Cherished Hannah especially is used in Tamil, Greenlandic and Finnish, meaning of Hannah is "God has Favoured Me or Affection" and a gender-neutral name is originated from Hebrew. Illustrous name Hannah elevated to 33rd position among baby girl names in 2018 in United States
- Kayla - Kayla's meaning is Descendant of Caollaidhe or Fair is of Celtic and Old Greek origin which is dominantly used in Norwegian and Swedish is used as a gender-neutral name
- Santiago - Meaning of Santiago is St, Saint James or Saint Iago came from English and Spanish used as a gender-neutral name is specifically used in Swedish and Finnish
- Frederick - The prevalent and all time favorite unisex name Frederick means "Rich or Protection" used largely in Norwegian, Danish and Finnish has its origin in English and Old High German
- Parker - Parker's meaning is Gamekeeper of a Park, Park Keeper or Forest Ranger is specifically used in English and English and is given to both genders came from Old French
Sibling Names for Eric
If you are considering the name Eric for your baby boy, you may also be interested in finding sibling names that complement it well. We have compiled a list of 20 names for brothers and sisters that pair perfectly with Eric, ranging from classic monikers to more modern choices.
For a sister
Brother to Eric
Famous people named Eric
- Eric Frank Russell, British author best
- Eric Stenbock, Baltic Swedish poet and writer of macabre fantastic fiction
- Eric Lenneberg, linguist and neurologist
- Eric Brown, British science fiction author
- Eric P. Kelly, American journalist
- Eric XI of Sweden, Swedish: 'Erik Eriksson' or 'Erik läspe och halte'; Old Norse: 'Eiríkr Eiríksson' was king of Sweden
- Eric Partridge, New Zealand–British lexicographer of the English language
- Eric David Harris,
- Eric Maschwitz, English entertainer, writer, editor
- Eric Gairy, first Prime Minister of Grenada
- Eric Mottram, teacher, critic
- Eric de Sturler, He is on the editorial board of 'Applied Numerical Mathematics' and the 'Open Applied Mathematics Journal'
- Eric Laithwaite, British electrical engineer
- Eric Reeves, professor 'emeritus' of English Language and Literature at Smith College in Northampton
- Eric Coates, English composer of light music and, early
- Eric Walter Elst, Belgian astronomer at the Observatory at the Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Eric Ericson, Swedish choral conductor and influential choral teacher
- Eric Wyndham White, British administrator and economist
- Eric X of Sweden, King of Sweden between 1208 and 1216
- Eric Eldred, American literacy advocate and the proprietor of the unincorporated Eldritch Press
- Eric Stefanson, politician in Manitoba, Canada
- Eric James, Baron James of Rusholme, prominent British educator
- Eric Roy, New Zealand former politician
- Eric Nkansah, Ghanaian athlete specializing in the 100 metres
- Eric Bhamuza Sono, South African soccer player
- Eric Zimmerman, game designer and the co-founder and CEO of Gamelab
- Eric Reiss, American business and Information architecture theorist
- Eric Erickson, Swedish oil executive
- Eric Burgess, English freelance consultant
- Eric Shirley, ran the 3
- Eric Gilder, English musicologist
- Eric Schocket, Associate Professor of American literature at Hampshire College
- Eric Allaby, former New Brunswick politician
- Eric Fenby, English composer, conductor, pianist
- Eric Willis, Australian politician
- Eric Poole, Canada-born Second Lieutenant
- Eric Spear, English composer of film music most noted for writing the theme tune to the ITV soap opera 'Coronation Street'
- Eric Poehlman, first academic in the United States to be jailed for falsifying data
- Eric Becklin, American astrophysicist
- Eric Voegelin, German-born American political philosopher
- Eric Kandel, Austrian-American medical doctor
- Eric Temple Bell, Scottish-born mathematician and science fiction writer
- Eric Berne, Canadian-born psychiatrist who,
- Eric Allin Cornell, American physicist who, along with Carl E. Wieman
- Eric Lander, Professor of Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Eric Wolf, anthropologist, best
- Eric W. Weisstein, encyclopedist
- Eric Treacy, English railway photographer and Anglican bishop
- Eric von Hippel, American economist and a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management
- Eric F. Wieschaus, American evolutionary developmental biologist and 1995 Nobel Prize-winner
- Eric S. Raymond, American software developer
- Eric Hoffer, American moral and social philosopher
- Eric Clapton, English rock and blues guitarist, singer
- Eric Cheney, English motorcycle racer
- Eric Heiden, American physician and a former long track speed skater
- Eric Williams, served as the first Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago
- Eric Idle, English comedian, actor, voice actor, author
- Eric Corley, figure in the hacker community
- Eric Bloodaxe, 10th-century Norwegian ruler
- Eric Dolphy, Eric Allan Dolphy, Jr
- Eric Sykes, English radio, stage, television and film writer
Lists having Eric
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that ends with -ric
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2010)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2002)
- Popular Boy Names in France (1990)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2001)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1993)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1971)
- Baby Names that mean Ruler
- Baby Names that mean Peaceful
- Baby Names that mean powerful
- Baby Names that mean Forever
- Baby Names that mean Alone
- Baby Names that mean Honor
- Baby Names that mean King
- Baby Names that mean Sole