Nicholas name meaning
On This Page
What does Nicholas mean?
Originated from Old Greek, Prevalent and Perpetual Nicholas is used as a gender insensitive name, Nicholas means "Victory of the People or Victorious Person" is particulary used in Hindi, Danish, English, Swedish, Greenlandic, Finnish, Norwegian and French.
Nicholas is variant form of frequently used and all time favorite Nicolas. Nicolas is form of Nichol in English, French and Spanish languages. Nicolas's meaning is Victory of the People and Victorious Person is originated from Old Greek.
It is celebrated on 6 December.
How do I pronounce Nicholas?
The three syllabled name Nicholas is pronounced, n(i)-cho-las.
Variants of Nicholas
Nicknames for Nicholas
Check out these nickaname options for the given name Nicholas:Names that rhyme with Nicholas
How popular is the name Nicholas?
Nicholas was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 903256 babies have been given the given name. At the peak of its usage in 1999, it ranked 5th when 29155 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 223 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Nicholas was a popular name in England and Wales.
Over 14183 babies have been named Nicholas since 1996. At its zenith in 1996, it ranked 52nd when 1385 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 100 baby names 9 times Also, Nicholas is a popular name in New South Wales given to over 23415 babies in 64 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2002, 776 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 6th position. Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 10 times
A common name in Queensland with over 11290 new-borns have been given the name since 1960.
At the peak of its usage in 1994, the moniker grabbed the 6th spot and 446 baby boys were given the name. Also, In Victoria, Nicholas was once a common name since emerging in 2008 it has been given to over 1424 babies.
At its zenith in 2008,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 11 years.
Nicholas is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
In 1964, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 58 on boy names chart when 99 babies were given the name Nicholas. Over 3434 babies in Ireland have been named Nicholas.
The first name is a unique baby name in France, it has been in use since 1949 and was able to reach the top 700 names. In 1980, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 676 on boy names chart when 34 babies were named Nicholas.
There are over 748 babies that have been given the name Nicholas in France. Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 400 names.
In 1995, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 362 on boy names chart when 26 babies were named Nicholas. Over 331 babies in Belgium have been named Nicholas.
Nicholas is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, even after 21 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 300.
Over 319 people have been named Nicholas in Switzerland. Nicholas is a rare baby name in Netherlands where it is still in use and also in Northern Territory. However things change on global perspective, Nicholas is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 400 have the name.
Also the baby name is popular in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, Malaysia, Zambia, Canada, Sudan, Wales, Malawi and Scotland. As per our estimate, over 960000 babies have been bestowed Nicholas around the globe.
Nicholas in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Nicholas
What makes you happy is seeing a person trying to expose their true personality instead of pretending to be something they're not. Since you trapped yourself inside rules, restrictions, religion, you've imprisoned your soul in one state. Your weird habit of enjoying melancholy helps you express more creatively and develop into a better version of yourself. Having letter N as your cornerstone represents your individuality and originality.
Looking for names similar to Nicholas? Please go through the following names
- Cleofas - Uncommon unisex name Cleofas came from Old Greek, Cleofas means "He is the Glory of His Father"
- Caitlynn - Used in English darling, Caitlynn is used as a girl name, Caitlynn means "The Pure" came from Old Greek
- Calantha - Origin of Unwonted Calantha is in Old Greek, meaning of Calantha is "Beautiful Flower" which is used majorly in Greek is aimed at girls
- Kollette - Rare girl name Kollette has its origin in Old Greek, meaning of Kollette is "Victory of the People and Variant of Nicolette". Kollette is a resultant of Colette.
- Shar - Unusual Shar is used especially in Telugu, Bengali and Tamil, Shar means "Habit, Custom or Lord of Peace" is originated from Germanic, Old Greek and English is given to both genders
Middle names for Nicholas
Just in case, you don't know what to pair with Nicholas, we've got you covered with these all the rage and familiar middle names.
View more middle names that goes with Nicholas.
Famous people named Nicholas
- Nicholas Mystikos, Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople from March 901 to February 907 and
- Nicholas Lanier, English composer and musician; the first to hold the title of Master of the King's Music
- Nicholas Staggins, English composer
- Nicholas Ferrar, English scholar, courtier, businessman and cleric
- Nicholas Ridley, English Bishop of London
- Nicholas Udall, English playwright, cleric, and schoolmaster
- Nicholas Rémy, witch-phobic French magistrate
- Nicholas Harris Nicolas, English antiquary
- Nicholas Heath, was archbishop of York and Lord Chancellor
- Nicholas Grimald, English poet and dramatist
- Nicholas Knatchbull,
- Nicholas of Tolentino, Italian saint and mystic
- Nicholas Herkimer, American patriot militia brigadier general during the American Revolutionary War
- Nicholas of Japan, Russian Orthodox priest, monk, bishop, and saint
- Nicholas Aylward Vigors, Irish zoologist and politician
- Nicholas I, Duke of Lorraine, son of John II
- Nicholas Williams, leading expert and poet on the Cornish language
- Nicholas Bullingham, English Bishop of Worcester
- Nicholas Taaffe, 6th Viscount Taaffe, Irish-born courtier and soldier
- Nicholas Maw, British composer
- Nicholas Sparks, early landholder of Bytown
- Nicholas C. Forstmann, was one of the founding partners of Forstmann Little & Company
- Nicholas of Lyra, a Franciscan teacher
- Nicholas de Moels, Anglo-Norman royal administrator and household knight of King Henry III. In this capacity he was assigned many and varied offices and duties
- Nicholas Alexander of Wallachia, Voivode of Wallachia
- Nicholas Cleobury, English conductor
- Nicholas G. Carr, American writer
- Nicholas Eveleigh, delegate to the Continental Congress for South Carolina
- Nicholas Brothers, team of dancing brothers, Fayard and Harold
- Nicholas Bobadilla, was one of the first Jesuits
- Nicholas Luard, writer and politician
- Nicholas Marr, Georgia-born historian and linguist
- Nicholas Hyde, was Lord Chief Justice of England
- Nicholas J. Spykman, American political scientist
- Nicholas Mercator, He was born in Eutin, Schleswig-Holstein
- Nicholas Bourbon, French court preceptor and poet
- Nicholas of Flüe, Swiss hermit and ascetic
- Nicholas Morello,
- Nicholas Saunderson, blind English scientist and mathematician
- Nicholas Wiseman, Irish Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Nicholas of Cusa, German philosopher, theologian, jurist
- Nicholas Culpeper, English botanist, herbalist, physician
- Nicholas Metropolis, Greek-American physicist
- Nicholas Rescher, German-American philosopher at the University of Pittsburgh
- Nicholas Close, English priest
- Nicholas Wolterstorff, American philosopher and a liturgical theologian
- Nicholas of Ely, was Lord Chancellor of England
- Nicholas Callan, Irish priest and scientist
- Nicholas Humphrey, English neuropsychologist, based in Cambridge
- Nicholas Miklouho-Maclay, Russian explorer, ethnologist
- Nicholas Lemann, Joseph Pulitzer II and Edith Pulitzer Moore Professor of Journalism and Dean Emeritus of the Faculty of Journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
- Nicholas I of Russia, Emperor of Russia from 1825 until 1855
- Nicholas Bacon, English politician during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England
- Nicholas Lyndhurst, English actor
- Nicholas Hawksmoor, English architect
- Nicholas Ribic, military person
- Nicholas Barbon, English economist, physician
- Nicholas Robinson, Irish author, historian, solicitor and cartoonist
- Nicholas Negroponte, Greek American architect
- Nicholas Kaldor, Cambridge economist in the post-war period
- Nicholas Brendon, American actor and writer
- Nicholas Roerich, Russian painter, writer, archaeologist, theosophist
Lists having Nicholas
- Boys names beginning with N
- Girls names beginning with N
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2003)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1991)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2015)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2004)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Victory
- Baby Names that mean People
- Baby Names that mean Victorious