Declan name meaning
On This Page
What does Declan mean?
The name Declan is of Irish origin and means "man of God".
The name was popularized in the United States by actor Declan Mulholland. Some other famous people with the name include Declan Galbraith, an English singer, and Declan Donnelly, a member of the pop group Ant and Dec.
Declan is a strong and masculine name with a great meaning.
It's a perfect choice for parents who want their son to have a traditional yet unique name. Plus, it's easy to pronounce and spell, so you won't have to worry about your child's name being mispronounced or misspelled.
Declan's impression as a baby name
Declan is a popular Irish baby boy name that has been increasingly used over the years. It originates from the Gaelic Decanus, which means full of goodness and man of prayer.
It is also associated with Saint Declan of Ardmore, an early Christian saint who was believed to have brought Christianity to Ireland. As a result, it has become a symbol of faith and purity in Ireland.
Declan is often viewed as an adventurous and brave name, but one with a compassionate heart who takes time for introspection. Its strength and good nature make it a great fit for any baby boy - no matter what their culture or background may be.
How do I pronounce Declan?
Two syllabled Declan is pronounced as dek-lin.
Variants of Declan
Nicknames for Declan
There are plethora of nicknames to go along with Declan. Some of those include:Names that rhyme with Declan
How popular is the name Declan?
a popular name in United States with over 35930 new-borns have been given the name since 1951. Currently peaked at the charts, it ranked 101st when 3792 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 500 baby names 18 times Also, Declan was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 10985 babies have been given the moniker in 23 years.
When at its peak in 2000, the moniker grabbed the 66th spot and 942 baby boys were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years.
In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 9 times Also, Declan is a popular name in Ireland given to over 10847 babies in 56 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 1971, 574 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 12nd position. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 27 times
In New South Wales, Declan was once a common name since emerging in 2001 it has been given to over 874 babies.
When at the peak of its usage in 2002,. After 7 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, A common name in Queensland with over 1696 new-borns have been given the name since 1999.
At its zenith in 2002, it ranked 35th when 148 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
Declan is a familiar baby name in Victoria, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 100 names.
In 2009, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 68 on boy names chart when 97 babies were given the name Declan. There are over 445 babies that have been given the name Declan in Victoria.
In France, Declan is a unique name where it has been in use since 1999 and has secured the place in top 2000 names. In 2006, it ranked 1157th when 26 boys were named Declan.
Over 220 babies in France have been named Declan.
Declan is a rare baby name in Belgium, chances of it being still in use are very slim. But Declan is a popular baby name in Northern Ireland where every 1 in 400 have the name.
According to our research, over 60000 babies have been named Declan globally.
Declan in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Declan
You are driven by success and accomplishing everything you imagined as a child. You don't need people to tell you that you are awesome and special because you already know. Partnerships are exclusively important to you. You often trust the wrong people when it comes to relationships. You love deadlines because they ‘force' you to bring out the best of you in a determined period of time. You are lagging behind on motivational front.
Looking for a name like Declan? Please go through the following names
- Melvin means Polished Chief, Bad Village or Protector is a gender-neutral name commonly used in Swedish, German and French is of Celtic and English origin
- Novela - The offbeat girl name Novela means "Lamb or White" is rooted from English and Celtic
- Aoibhinn - Loved Aoibhinn majorly is used in Irish is a baby girl name that came from Old Irish and Celtic, meaning of Aoibhinn is "Beauty"
- Winfrieda - Winfrieda's meaning is Friend or Peace has its origin in Old High German and Celtic is a girl name
- Kaycee means Alert or Descendant of Cathasaigh is originated from Old Irish and Celtic and is used dominantly in English is mostly given to both sexes
Sibling Names for Declan
If you're considering the name Declan for your little one, chances are you're also on the lookout for great sibling names to go with it. From classic to unique, we've compiled a list of 15 sibling names that pair perfectly with Declan. Whether you're looking for names that are similar in style or those that complement each other, there's something here for everyone.
Names for Declan's sister
Brother for Declan
Famous people named Declan
- Declan Donnellan, English film/stage director and author
- Declan Kiberd, Irish writer and scholar
- Declan Lally, Irish Gaelic footballer
- Declan O'Mahony, Gaelic footballer
- Declan Sinnott, Irish musician and record producer
- Declan Geoghegan, former Irish soccer player
- Declan Lynch, Irish journalist, writer and playwright
- Declan O'Dwyer, hurler
- Declan O'Sullivan, Irish retired sportsperson
- Declan McGonagle, prominent figure in Irish contemporary art
- Declan Donnelly, English television presenter, producer and actor
- Declan Curry, bbc
- Declan Buckley,
- Declan Quinn, Irish-American cinematographer
- Declan O'Rourke, singer-songwriter from Dublin, Ireland
- Declan Costello, Irish judge, barrister and Fine Gael politician
- Declan Bree, Irish independent politician
- Declan Danaher, former rugby union footballer
- Declan Galbraith, English singer
- Declan Browne, Irish Gaelic football player
- Declan Mulholland, Northern Irish character actor of film and television
- Declan O'Brien, American writer and director
- Declan Fitzpatrick, Irish former rugby union footballer
- Declan Devine, Northern Irish football coach and former footballer
- Declan de Barra, Irish musician and writer
- Declan Affley, Australian folk singer and musician
- Declan O'Loan, former member of the Northern Ireland Assembly
- Declan Qualter, hurler for Dublin and St Vincents
- Declan Fanning, Irish Gaelic footballer and hurler
- Declan Ryan, Irish former hurler and team manager with Tipperary
- Declan Carr, Irish retired hurler
- Declan Prendergast, Irish hurler
- Declan Bennett, English singer-songwriter and actor
- Declan O'Brien, professional footballer
- Declan Lowney, Irish television and film director
- Declan Nerney, Irish singer-songwriter
- Declan Croghan in Episode #1.1 as Writer
- Declan Wheeldon in Part 2 as Actor
- Declan McTigue in Boardwalk Empire as Actor
- Declan Wong in Zong heng si hai as Actor
- Declan McMurray in San Andreas as Actor
- Declan Hannigan in The Secret of Roan Inish as Actor
- Declan Mulvey in The Dark Knight Rises as Stunts
- Declan Conlon in Hereafter as Actor
- Director Declan Recks, well-known for movie Eden
- Declan Cuffe, from 1968 film Love in Our Time, who portrayed the Participant.
Lists having Declan
- Boys names beginning with D
- Girls names beginning with D
- American Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Gaelic Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that ends with -lan
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2004)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1998)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2010)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2015)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2011)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Full
- Baby Names that mean Goodness