Neil name meaning
On This Page
What does Neil mean?
Substantially used in Malayalam, Norwegian, Telugu, Gujarati, English, Oriya, Kannada, Hindi, Scottish, Danish, Swedish, Irish, Finnish, Tamil, Bengali, Marathi and Dutch long standing and dominant, Neil has origin in Arabic, Old Irish, Latin and Celtic, a unisex name, meaning of Neil is "Champion, Blue, Like a Horn, Thanks, Favor, Cloud, Passionate, Acquirer or Earner".
Also Neil is equivalent of Niall in Scottish and English languages.
How do I pronounce Neil?
neil is the most common way to pronounce one syllabled Neil.
Variants of NeilNames that rhyme with Neil
How popular is the name Neil?
Neil is a popular in United States where over 102940 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. At present the moniker is on a rise, in 1953, the moniker grabbed the 146th spot and 1958 baby boys were given the name.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 500 baby names a whooping 120 times Neil was a common name in England and Wales. Over 1294 babies have been named Neil since 1996.
At the peak of its usage in 1996,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years. Also, A common name in Ireland having over 2194 recievers in 33 years of usage.
At its zenith in 1978, the moniker grabbed the 55th spot and 180 baby boys were given the name. Also, Neil is common in France where over 2154 new-borns have been given the name since 1957.
At present the name is rising, in 2008, 108 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 481st position. Also, In New South Wales, Neil was once a common name since emerging in 1952 it has been given to over 4587 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 1955,. After 21 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, In Queensland, Neil was once a common name since emerging in 1960 it has been given to over 619 babies.
When at the peak of its usage in 1961,. After 5 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 5 times
Neil is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, its highest ever rank is 380 (2007) in its 19 years run on Switzerland naming chart.
There are over 267 babies that have been given the name Neil in Switzerland. In Belgium, it has been in use since 1996 and achieved its top ranking of 529 in 2000.
Over 184 people have been named Neil in Belgium. However things change on global perspective, Neil is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 300 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Philippines, Canada, Australia, Scotland, South Africa, New Zealand, Wales, Sri Lanka and India.
As per our estimate, over 600000 people has been named Neil globally.
Neil in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Neil
Whatever you do, make sure you do it with heart. Relationships make you feel trapped. Having 5 as your soul urge number reveals your deep desire to change and transform all the time. It's like luck follows you wherever you go and whatever you do results in a positive outcome. You know yourself so well, that you always find a way to keep yourself amused. You don't have to lie but find a subtle way to tell someone they need improvement or work harder on something to get it done correctly.
Do you like Neil? Other names you would love
- Keeley - Mainly used in English loved, Keeley aimed at both boys and girls, meaning of Keeley is "Descendant of Caollaidhe" is originated from Celtic, Old Irish and Hawaiian
- Ron - Widely Accepted unisex name Ron means "Crooked Nose or Council or Govern" used commonly in Finnish, English and Dutch has its origin in Celtic and Old Norse languages
- Kyran - Odd unisex name Kyran is prevalently used in Hindi and English that came from Old Irish, Sanskrit and Celtic, meaning of Kyran is "Dusky, The Black or Dark"
- Donaldeen - Originated from Celtic, Offbeat Donaldeen is used usually as a girl name, Donaldeen means "Ruler of the World, World Ruler World-Mighty and Great" is used in English. Donaldeen is feminine form of Donald.
- Maelenn - The Maelenn is of Celtic origin, meaning of Maelenn is "Lord or Prince"
Middle names for Neil
These are the trending and sweet middle names that we love for the name Neil.
View more middle names that goes with Neil.
Famous people named Neil
- Neil Sheehan, American journalist
- Neil Bissoondath, Trinidadian-Canadian author
- Neil Maclean, Scottish socialist and an Independent Labour Party and later Labour Party Member of Parliament for Govan
- Neil Gillman, Canadian-American rabbi and philosopher affiliated with Conservative Judaism
- Neil Fletcher, Labour politician and the last Leader of the Inner London Education Authority before its abolition
- Neil Horan, laicised Irish Roman Catholic priest
- Neil Gaudry, politician in Manitoba, Canada
- Neil Kirton, New Zealand politician
- Neil Oatley, is Design and Development Director for the McLaren Formula One team
- Neil Reynolds, Canadian journalist
- Neil Saker, English cricketer who currently plays for Unicorns
- Neil Primrose, 7th Earl of Rosebery, Scottish nobleman
- Neil Churchill, car dealer in Bismarck
- Neil Cameron, politician in Manitoba, Canada
- Neil Moss, victim of a famous caving accident
- Neil Steinberg, American news columnist for the 'Chicago Sun-Times' and an author
- Neil Bartlett, British director, performer, translator
- Neil Merritt, last President of Portsmouth Polytechnic and the first Vice-Chancellor of the University of Portsmouth
- Neil Kinrade, former Deputy Chief Constable of the Isle of Man Constabulary
- Neil Papiano, American lawyer, and managing partner of Iverson
- Neil Richardson, English composer and conductor
- Neil Turk, English cricketer
- Neil Cherry, New Zealand environmental scientist
- Neil Asher Silberman, archaeologist and historian with a special interest
- Neil Black, English oboist
- Neil Munro, Scottish journalist, newspaper editor
- Neil Welliver, American-born modern artist
- Neil Snider, Canadian educator
- Neil Stonechild, Saulteaux First Nations teenager
- Neil Dickson, English actor
- Neil Campbell, British musician
- Neil David Levin, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Neil McLean, Lt
- Neil Ayres, English short fiction writer
- Neil Garrett, British television producer/director
- Neil Mackie, Scottish tenor
- Neil Funk, current television play-by-play announcer for the National Basketball Association's Chicago Bulls
- Neil Nunes, British Jamaican continuity announcer and newsreader on BBC Radio 4
- Neil Pigot, Australian actor
- Neil Thorne, British Conservative Party politician
- Neil Armstrong, American astronaut and aeronautical engineer
- Neil Sloane, British-American mathematician
- Neil Bartlett, chemist
- Neil Turok, South African physicist
- Neil Gershenfeld, American professor at MIT and the director of MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms
- Neil Robertson, mathematician working mainly
- Neil Campbell, American scientist known best for his textbook
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, American astrophysicist, author
- Neil Smelser, emeritus professor of sociology at the University of California
- Neil Tennant, American philosopher
- Neil Kinnock, British Labour Party politician
- Neil Peart, Canadian author and retired musician
- Neil Simon, American playwright, screenwriter and author
- Neil Gaiman, He has won numerous awards, including the Hugo
- Neil Turner, Labour Party politician
- Neil Young, Canadian singer-songwriter and musician
- Neil Finn, New Zealand singer-songwriter and musician
- Neil Aspinall, British music industry executive
- Neil Hamilton, British politician, barrister, and former teacher
- Neil Diamond, American singer-songwriter, musician and actor
Lists having Neil
- Boys names beginning with N
- Girls names beginning with N
- Arabic Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Scottish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1999)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1985)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1985)
- Baby Names that mean Champion
- Baby Names that mean Blue
- Baby Names that mean Horn
- Baby Names that mean Favor
- Baby Names that mean Cloud
- Baby Names that mean Passionate