Iris name meaning
On This Page
What does Iris mean?
The name Iris is of Greek origin and means "rainbow". It is the name of the Greek goddess of the rainbow. The name was first used in the late 19th century.
The iris is a beautiful flower, and it's also the name of several famous people.
Here are just a few of the most notable people named Iris:
Iris Apfel is a fashion icon who has been described as "a living work of art." She's known for her unique sense of style and her love of bold colors and patterns.
Iris Murdoch was a prolific writer who penned more than 25 novels in her lifetime.
She was also a philosopher and thinker, and she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1978.
Iris Johansen is a bestselling author of suspense thrillers. Her books have sold millions of copies around the world, and she's one of the most popular authors in the genre.
Iris Dement is a singer-songwriter who has been praised for her traditional country music style.
She's won multiple Grammy Awards and is considered one of the most influential artists in country music today.
Iris is a beautiful name for a baby girl that has many positive connotations.
It is also a name that is unique enough to make your child stand out, but not so unique that it will be difficult for them to find personalization items with their name on it.
How do I pronounce Iris?
The most common pronunciation of two syllabled Iris is eye-riss. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., i-ris.
Variants of Iris
Nicknames for Iris
Though Iris itself is a short name but that doesn't mean that you cannot have nicknames. See the list below:
How popular is the name Iris?
a popular name in United States having over 82408 recievers in 218 years of usage. When at the peak of its usage in 2018, it ranked 138th when 2109 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 500 baby names an astonishing 122 times Also, Iris was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 6036 babies have been named Iris since 1996.
When at its peak in 2017, 654 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 81st position. However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts.
Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 100 baby names 3 times Also, Iris was a popular name in France. Over 12636 babies have been given the given name in 98 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2018, it ranked 34th when 1483 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. However after 98 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 50 baby names 2 times
Iris used to be a common name in Spain, first appeared in 2002 and over 4415 babies have been given the name in 12 years.
When at its peak in 2018,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 12 years but it is still in a strong position. Also, In Netherlands, Iris was once a common name since emerging in 2015 it has been given to over 835 babies.
At its zenith in 2015,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 5 years but it is still going strong. Also, In Sweden, Iris was once a common name since emerging in 2009 it has been given to over 158 babies.
When at its peak in 2009,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Iris is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
Recently in 2018, 57 babies were given Iris and it reached its peak ranking, 135 on girl names chart. There are over 715 babies that have been given the name Iris in Switzerland.
Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names. Recently in 2017, 100 babies were given Iris and it reached its peak ranking, 107 on girl names chart.
Over 1352 babies in Belgium have been named Iris.
Iris is an uncommon baby name in Ireland still in use today. Over 133 people have been named Iris in Ireland. Iris is a rare baby name in Sweden there is very thin chances of it still being given.
Over 158 people have been named Iris in Sweden. However things change on global perspective, Iris is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 700 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Brazil, England, Venezuela, Honduras, Mexico, Mozambique, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Guatemala, Colombia, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Cuba, South Africa, Panama, Canada, Jamaica, Austria, Angola and Uruguay.
At least, 820000 people globally have been given the name as per our research.
Iris in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Iris
When it comes to life goals, you dream big, meaning you are ambitious and self-confident. Sometimes, you act selfishly. You are not much into hanging around and wasting time with people. Your best character traits are individuality and independence. Having the letter I as a cornerstone reveals much about your great personality. Sometimes you fear the stupidest things while other times you act fearless and surprise others, even yourself.
If you like Iris, you would love these names
- Adelpha - Adelphas origin is Old Greek and Greek, meaning of Adelpha is "Beloved Sister or Brother" used as a baby girl name is used notably in Greek
- Theodosios - Originated from Old Greek, Theodosios is used as a baby boy name which is largely used in Greek, Theodosios means "Giving to God or The Elements Theos Meaning God"
- Gog - Used dominantly in Breton, Gog means "Pearl" has origin in Greek
- Eugenie - Eugenie's meaning is Well-Born, Noble or Well Born is used as a baby girl name which is specifically used in Danish, Swedish and Norwegian is rooted from Old Greek
- Nicolina - Primarily used in Finnish and Danish eternal and sufficiently quirky, Nicolina means "Victory of the People" that originated from Old Greek is aimed at baby girls
Sibling Names for Iris
When it comes to naming your little one, the possibilities are endless. If you have already decided on the name "Iris," congratulations! Now, it's time to choose a perfect sibling name to complement it. Here are some great options that would go well with Iris, from classic to modern and everything in between.
Names for Iris's sister
For a brother
Famous people named Iris
- Iris Tree, English poet, actress and artists' model
- Iris Gower, Welsh novelist
- Iris Woolcock, artist, photographer, and writer
- Iris Williams, Welsh singer
- Iris Habib Elmasry, prominent Coptic Historian
- Iris Fuentes-Pila, Spanish middle distance runner
- Iris von Arnim, internationally acclaimed German fashion designer
- Iris Origo, English-born biographer and writer
- Iris Murdoch, philosopher
- Iris Marion Young, American political theorist and feminist focused on the nature of justice and social difference
- Iris M. Ovshinsky, American businesswoman and scientist
- Iris Chacón, Puerto Rican dancer, singer, and entertainer
- Iris Robinson, former Northern Ireland Unionist politician
- Iris Chang, American-born Chinese journalist
- Iris, American synthpop band
- Iris du Pré, English pianist, composer, conductor and educator
- Iris DeMent, American two-time Grammy nominated singer and songwriter
- Iris Adrian, American stage, film actress and dancer
- Iris Johansen, American author of crime fiction, suspense fiction
- Iris, Romanian rock band established
- Iris Kyle, American professional female bodybuilder
- Iris Weinshall, Chief Operating Officer of The New York Public Library
- Iris Rainer Dart, American author and playwright for television and the stage
- Iris Bannochie, Barbadian horticulturalist
- Iris Martinez, Democratic member of the Illinois Senate
- Iris Clert, owner of the Galerie Iris Clert from 1955 to 1971
- Iris Häussler, conceptual and installation art artist of German origin
- Iris Evans, former Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta and Minister of International and Intergovernmental Relations for the Canadian province
- Iris Bahr, American actress, comedian, director, writer
- Iris Faircloth Blitch, United States Representative from Georgia
- Iris Stuart, motion picture actress of the silent film era
- Iris Hoey, British actress
- Iris Peterson, retired flight attendant
- Iris Estabrook, Democratic former member of the New Hampshire Senate
- Iris K. Shim in The House of Suh as Editor
- Iris Fry in Murder by Decree as Actress
- Iris Junik in Das Ende eines Sommers as Actress
- Iris Gilad in Bad Hurt as Actress
- Iris Aschenbrenner in Die Abschlussklasse as Actress
- Iris Hall in The Symbol of the Unconquered as Actress
- Iris Mann in Room for One More as Actress
- Iris Apfel is an American businesswoman, interior designer and fashion icon.
- Iris Berben is noted for her acting in tvMovie Silberhochzeit
- In 1998 documentary flick, De ydmygede, Iris Albøge characterized Qualified Carer.
- Iris Ashton, from 1921 movie The Lamplighter, who portrayed the Emily Graham.
- In 1944, Iris Belmonte portrayed the role of N in comedy film Romance de um Mordedor.
- Iris Borer played central character of N in 1992 drama movie Erev Bli Na'ama.
- In 1990 biography, drama film, An Angel at My Table, Iris Churn portrayed Mother.
- In 1928, Iris Darbyshire characterized the role of Amelia Lovett in crime, drama film Sweeney Todd.
- In 1957, Iris Delmar characterized the role of Bibi in comedy, musical flick Um Pirata do Outro Mundo.
- Iris del Valle played the pivotal role of N in 1948 drama flick Mis espuelas de plata.
- In 1968 drama movie, Les poneyttes, Iris Frank portrayed Valérie.
- In 1931, Iris Knape portrayed the role of Elina Jaakkola in comedy flick Rovastin häämatkat.
- In 1937, Iris March characterized the role of Joan in comedy film Leave It to Me.
- In 1961 family, fantasy film, Frau Holle, Iris Mayer portrayed Pechmarie.
- In 1940 action and music film, Texas Stagecoach, Iris Meredith characterized Jean Harper.
- In 2009, Iris Minich portrayed the role of Grit in drama and mystery flick Rückenwind.
- In 1996, Iris Orozco characterized the role of Isis in comedy film Un ángel muy pillo.
- In 1988, Iris Oyola portrayed the role of Blanca in drama, romance film La boda del acordeonista.
- Iris Vandeleur played critical role of Ma Butler in 1942 comedy flick Gert and Daisy's Week-end.
- Iris De Busschere played important role of Le petite fille in 2005 drama and mystery movie Nuit noire.
- In 2008 comedy flick, Ha-Proyect Shel Piter Shmychel, Iris Pen characterized Dana.
- Iris Corliss, from 2009 sci-fi film Enigma, who portrayed Eidolon.
Lists having Iris
- Boys names beginning with I
- Girls names beginning with I
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Boy names that ends with -ris
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Flower
- Baby Names that mean Radiance