Eleanor name meaning
On This Page
What does Eleanor mean?
The name "Eleanor" is of Greek origin, and it means "light." It is a feminine form of the name "Elias." It's a feminine form of the name Elior or Eleazar, which are both Hebrew names.
The name Eleanor was first introduced to England by the Normans in the 12th century.
It was popularized in the 18th century by Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who was queen consort of King George III. Today, the name Eleanor is still quite popular in England, as well as in other English-speaking countries such as Australia and Canada.
The name "Eleanor" has been used by many famous people throughout history, including:
- Eleanor of Aquitaine (12th century), one of the most powerful women in medieval Europe
- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962), American First Lady and social reformer
- Eleanor Holmes Norton (b.
1937), American politician and civil rights activist
- Eleanor Rigby (fictional character in the Beatles song)
Baby name Eleanor is a great choice for many reasons. First, it is a timeless name that has been around for centuries.
Second, it is a beautiful name that has many different meaning options. Third, it is a strong and powerful name that will give your child confidence as they grow up. Lastly, baby name Eleanor can be easily paired with a middle or last name to create a unique and special moniker for your little one.
How do I pronounce Eleanor?
The most common pronunciation of three syllabled Eleanor is el-ah-nor. e-lea-nor is another way(s) to say the name.
Variants of Eleanor
Nicknames for Eleanor
If you are looking for a nickname for a baby named Eleanor, There are plenty of choices
How popular is the name Eleanor?
Eleanor was a very popular name in United States. Over 288942 babies have been given the given name in 181 years. At the peak of its usage in 1920, it ranked 25th when 8498 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 181 years. Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 29 times Also, Eleanor was a popular name in England and Wales.
Over 35568 babies have been given the name in 23 years. At its zenith in 1999, the moniker grabbed the 18th spot and 2747 baby girls were given the name. However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 13 times
A common name in New South Wales with over 717 new-borns have been given the name since 2014.
At present peaked at the charts, it ranked 46th when 140 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Eleanor is common in Victoria where over 461 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 2019, 131 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 42nd position.
Eleanor is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
In 1968, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 93 on girl names chart when 74 babies were given the name Eleanor. There are over 2536 babies that have been given the name Eleanor in Ireland.
Also, in France, it has been in use since 1982 and was able to reach the top 700 names. In 2007, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 611 on girl names chart when 88 babies were named Eleanor.
Over 1266 people have been named Eleanor in France. Also, in Queensland, in just 6 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2018, 97 babies were given Eleanor and it reached its peak ranking, 44 on girl names chart.
Over 431 people have been named Eleanor in Queensland.
Eleanor is a unique baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 400 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 332 on girl names chart when 39 babies were named Eleanor. Over 142 babies in Netherlands have been named Eleanor. Also, in Belgium, the name has been in use since 2002 and has secured the place in top 400 names.
In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 355 on girl names chart when 29 babies were named Eleanor. Over 242 people have been named Eleanor in Belgium. Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 40 on girl names chart when 47 babies were named Eleanor.
Eleanor is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, although it has been in use since 1998 but could not make beyond the top 400.
Over 144 people have been named Eleanor in Switzerland. Eleanor is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today. But Eleanor is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 2000 have the name as well as in, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Canada, South Africa, Scotland and Ghana.
As per our findings, over 330000 babies have been bestowed Eleanor around the globe.
Eleanor in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Eleanor?
Searching for answers can sometimes make you feel miserable and disappoint you because you can't find answers to all your questions. Sometimes, you make your own rules in order to prove that not everything is as it seems. You hate being in the center of attention but somehow you always are because of your aura and charming expression. You are lagging behind on motivational front. You are persistent but without motivation, you won't accomplish anything.
You would love these names similar to Eleanor
- Elna means Shining or Longing is of Old Provençal and Old Greek origin aimed at baby girls is used particulary in Bengali and Nordic
- Ellie - Ellie's meaning is All, Exalted or Sun Ray is used majorly in Tamil and Finnish. Its origin is in Germanic, Old Greek and Old Provençal is used as a unisex name
- Arcadius - Boy name Arcadius has origin in Old Greek is particulary used in Swedish. Arcadius is Latin form of The Greek Name Αρκαδιος = of Arcadia In Greek
- Claus - Old-school and Loved Claus commonly is used in Dutch and Greenlandic, meaning of Claus is "Victory or People, Nikolaus or Indication of the Gender of the Claudian". Its origin is in Old Greek is a baby boy name
- Zotikos - Originated from Old Greek, Zotikos means "Holy" is a baby boy name
Middle names for Eleanor
Some great options for well-received and familiar middle names to go with Eleanor.
View more middle names that goes with Eleanor.
Sibling Names for Eleanor
Looking for sibling names to go with the timeless baby name "Eleanor"? Look no further! We've curated a list of beautiful and complementary names that will perfectly match your little one's classic moniker. From traditional picks to modern choices, there is something for every family on this list.
For a sister
Brother to Eleanor
Famous people named Eleanor
- Eleanor Butler, indentured white woman
- Eleanor Hovda, composer and dancer
- Eleanor of Arborea, was one of the most powerful and important
- Eleanor Thornton, English actress and artist's model
- Eleanor, dance music singer and producer
- Eleanor Clymer, writer of children's books
- Eleanor Glanville, 17th-century English entomologist
- Eleanor McLaughlin, Scottish politician
- Eleanor FitzAlan, alleged daughter of Richard FitzAlan
- Eleanor V. E. Sharpston, Advocate General at the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Eleanor Race, field hockey player from the United States
- Eleanor Jorden, American linguistics scholar and an influential Japanese language educator and expert
- Eleanor Clark, American writer
- Eleanor of Champagne, French noblewoman
- Eleanor Percy Lee, American writer of Mississippi
- Eleanor Aller, American cellist and founding member
- Eleanor Hall, Australian journalist and presenter
- Eleanor Doorly, British writer of children's books
- Eleanor Thom, was born in London in 1979
- Eleanor Mildred Sidgwick, physics researcher assisting Lord Rayleigh
- Eleanor Frances Lattimore, American author and illustrator
- Eleanor Cory, American composer
- Eleanor Mayo, American novelist of the mid twentieth century
- Eleanor Flexner, distinguished independent scholar and pioneer
- Eleanor Searle, independent woman of means
- Eleanor Humes Haney, American feminist theologian and community activist
- Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale, English artist
- Eleanor R. Morse,
- Eleanor Constance Lodge, CBE, was born on 18 September 1869 at Hanley
- Eleanor of Naples, Duchess of Ferrara, was duchess consort of Ferrara by marriage to Ercole I d'Este
- Eleanor Bergstein, American writer,
- Eleanor Bond, Canadian artist and art educator
- Eleanor Sherman Thackara, is most known as the daughter of Gen
- Eleanor Eden, eldest daughter of Lord Auckland
- Eleanor Davies-Colley, British surgeon
- Eleanor Swift, professor at the University of California
- Eleanor McGovern, wife of George McGovern,
- Eleanor F. Helin, American astronomer
- Eleanor Anne Ormerod, English entomologist
- Eleanor Rosch, professor of psychology at the University of California
- Eleanor J. Gibson, American psychologist
- Eleanor of Aquitaine, was queen consort of France and England and duchess of Aquitaine
- Eleanor Bron, English stage, film and television actress
- Eleanor Hibbert, English author
- Eleanor Parker, American actress
- Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile,
- Eleanor of Provence, was Queen consort of England
- Eleanor de Montfort, Princess of Wales, English noble
- Eleanor Holmes Norton, American politician serving as a non-voting Delegate to the United States House of Representatives
- Eleanor Lambert, American fashion publicist
- Eleanor Farjeon, English author of children's stories and plays
- Eleanor Powell, American dancer and actress
- Eleanor Laing, British Conservative politician
- Eleanor of Lancaster, fifth daughter of Henry
Lists having Eleanor
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1968)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Sun
- Baby Names that mean Ray
- Baby Names that mean Torch
- Baby Names that mean Foreign
- Baby Names that mean Mercy
- Baby Names that mean Pity
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Shining