Joan name meaning
What does Joan mean?
Joan's meaning is God is Gracious, Merciful or Yahweh is Gracious is used in Finnish, Catalan, Faroese, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English and Greenlandic, rooted from Hebrew is given to both boys and girls. Joan is variation of perpetual and famed Joanna. Joanna is variation of darling, long standing and biblical Jeanne. Joanna is equivalent of Johanna in Portuguese and English languages. Also Joanna is form of Jane in Polish and English languages. Joanna is also English and Polish form of Joan. Of Hebrew origin, Well-Liked and Ever lasting Joanna, Joanna means "Gift from God, God is Gracious and Gift of the Lord".. Also Joan is equivalent of Ióan in Swedish language. It is celebrated on December 27th.
How do I pronounce Joan?
You can pronounce the one syllabled name Joan as joan.
Variants of Joan
Jehanne, Ieuan, Johanan, Ioana, Joanna, Iolana, Iona, Jane, Jeanne, Johanna, Joannamarie, Jovanka, Joanthony, Ióan, Hansi, Jona, IóhanNames that rhyme with Joan
How popular is the name Joan?
Joan is an extremely popular in United States where over 486355 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. Presently the name is rising, in 1931, it ranked 5th when 21046 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 3 times Also, Joan is a popular name in Spain given to over 10621 babies in 14 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2002, the moniker grabbed the 52nd spot and 1050 baby boys were given the name. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 100 baby names 14 times
Joan used to be a common name in Ireland, first appeared in 1964 and over 2879 babies have been given the name in 33 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1964,. After 33 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, In France, Joan was once a common name since emerging in 1925 it has been given to over 7449 babies. At the peak of its usage in 1985,. However after 127 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Joan used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1952 and over 235 babies have been given the name in 2 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1952,. After 2 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
In Switzerland, Joan is a unique name where it has been in use since 2001 and has secured the place in top 400 names. In 2014, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 312 on boy names chart when 27 babies were named Joan. Over 215 people have been named Joan in Switzerland. Joan is an uncommon baby name in England and Wales, even after 23 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 2000. Over 219 babies in England and Wales have been named Joan. Also, it appeared first time in 2004 on baby boy names list of Belgium.
Joan is a rare baby name in New South Wales and may not be used now. Over 235 people have been named Joan in New South Wales. However things change on global perspective, Joan is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Philippines and Kenya. Also the baby name is popular in Uganda, Canada, Syria, South Africa, Nigeria, Scotland, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Venezuela, Iraq, Wales, Australia, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Tanzania, Northern Ireland, Rwanda and New Zealand. At least, 1660000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our research.
Joan in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Joan
You solve problems systematically and diplomatically. You love to help the people you care for. Your life dream is to become a role model and inspire people. You have a curious mind and wish to explore the world. You stay true to your opinion and beliefs. Liberating from your self-imposed restrictions will affect your life in a positive rather than negative way as you assume. You are the manager of events and organizer of partying among your friends.
Parents who liked Joan, loved these names
- Anula - Anulas origin is Hebrew is dominantly used in Sindhi, Marathi and Polish and is used for baby girls, meaning of Anula is "Gentle or Not Wild"
- Jeren - Used in English uncustomary, Jeren is used as a baby boy name, Jeren means "Holy Name, To Sing or Spear Rule" came from Hebrew
- Ephron - Unorthodox Ephron has its origin in Hebrew is used particulary in Hebrew and English given to baby boys, Ephron means "Double Fertile, Doubly Fruitful and Inspired By a Field Name". Ephron is derived from Ephraim.
- Raychelle - Used notably in English atypical, Raychelle is used as a girl name has its roots in Hebrew, Raychelle means "Jacob's Wife and Little Lamb". Raychelle is resultant of Rachel.
- Jabel - Unusual and Fresh boy name Jabel has its origin in Hebrew, meaning of Jabel is "Like the Arrow That Flies"
Famous people named Joan
- Joan of Arc, "
- Joan Apsley, wife of Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork
- Joan Riudavets,
- Joan Tower, Grammy-winning contemporary American composer
- Joan La Barbara, American vocalist and composer
- Joan Oró, Spanish biochemist
- Joan Coromines, linguist
- Joan Dingley,
- Joan Puigcercós, Spanish Catalan politician
- Joan Ure, a Scottish poet and playwright
- Joan Calabuig, Calabuig began his political career as a deputy
- Joan Cadden, beautician and former politician from Maryland
- Joan of France, Duchess of Berry,
- Joan Hendry, member of the Canadian 1968 Olympic and 1970 Commonwealth Games team
- Joan Acocella, staff writer for 'The New Yorker
- Joan Derk van der Capellen tot den Pol, Dutch nobleman
- Joan Blades, American businessperson and progressive political activist
- Joan Coxsedge, Australian artist, activist
- Joan C. Edwards, New Orleans jazz singer and well-known West Virginia-based philanthropist
- Joan van der Mey, Dutch architect best
- Joan Haslip, author of historical books
- Joan Chaworth, heiress of the manor of Alfreton
- Joan Tate, prolific translator
- Joan Milke Flores, member of the Los Angeles City Council
- Joan Grant, English author of historical novels and a reincarnationist
- Joan Vizcarra, Spanish cartoonist
- Joan Cererols, Catalan musician and Benedictine monk
- Joan Lino Martínez, Spanish athlete
- Joan London, writer and the older of two daughters born to Jack London and his first wife
- Joan Bocher, English Anabaptist burned at the stake for heresy during the rule of King Edward VI. She has also been known as Joan Boucher or Butcher
- Joan Lingard, Scottish novelist
- Joan Barfoot, Canadian novelist
- Joan E. Goody, leading Boston
- Joan van Broekhuizen, Dutch classical scholar and poet
- Joan Little, African-American woman whose trial for the 1974 murder of a white prison guard at Beaufort County Jail
- Joan Carlyle, English opera singer
- Joan Canning, 1st Viscountess Canning, wife of British prime minister George Canning
- Joan Barry, American politician
- Joan Metelerkamp, South African poet
- Joan Bauer, American writer of young adult literature currently residing
- Joan Pau Pujol, Catalan and Spanish composer and organist of the late Renaissance and early Baroque
- Joan Lippincott, American concert organist and former head of the organ department at Westminster Choir College
- Joan Crawford, former basketball player and member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Joan Weston, U.S. athlete and was the most famous personality
- Joan Abse, English art historian and the wife of poet Dannie Abse
- Joan Martí i Alanis, former Bishop of Urgell and hence former co-Prince of Andorra
- Joan Daemen, Belgian cryptographer
- Joan E. Strassmann, North American evolutionary biologist and the Charles Rebstock Professor of Biology at the Washington University
- Joan Higginbotham, American engineer and a former NASA astronaut
- Joan Roughgarden, American ecologist and evolutionary biologist
- Joan Crawford,
- Joan Baez, American singer, songwriter, musician
- Joan Collins, English actress, author, and columnist
- Joan Miró, Spanish painter, sculptor
- Joan Kirner, Australian politician
Lists having Joan
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with J
- Girls names beginning with J
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Catalan Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (1964)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1977)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (1956)
- Popular Girl Names in Western Australia (1939)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Gracious
- Baby Names that mean Merciful
- Baby Names that mean Gift
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh