Marcus name meaning
On This Page
What does Marcus mean?
Originated from Latin and Greek, Well-Known and Enduring Marcus is dominantly used in German, Danish, Greenlandic, English, Swedish, Old Norse, Scandinavian, Finnish, French and Norwegian used as a gender-neutral name, Marcus means "War-like, Mars, The Roman God of War or War-Like Dedicated to Mars"..
The name is celebrated on April 25.
How does Marcus sound as a baby name?
Marcus is a strong and classic baby boy name that originates from Latin. The name means "dedicated to Mars", the Roman god of war, which gives it an aura of strength and power.
Many parents choose Marcus for their son because of its timeless appeal, and it has been a popular name for centuries. It has also been used in various cultures and languages, which further adds to its versatility.
Marcus sounds sophisticated yet down-to-earth, making it suitable for both formal and casual settings. Overall, Marcus is an excellent choice for parents looking for a traditional yet distinctive name with a rich historical background.
How do I pronounce Marcus?
m(a)-rcus is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Marcus. Some people pronounce it as mar-cus.
Variants of Marcus
Nicknames for Marcus
Check out these nickaname options for baby name Marcus:Names that rhyme with Marcus
How popular is the name Marcus?
Marcus was a very popular name in United States. Over 232184 babies have been named Marcus since 1880. At the peak of its usage in 1984, it ranked 57th when 5993 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 205 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 31 times Also, a popular name in England and Wales having over 10036 recievers in 23 years of usage.
At the peak of its usage in 2001, the moniker grabbed the 83rd spot and 674 baby boys were given the name. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 8 times Also, Marcus is a popular in Denmark where over 10110 new-borns have been given the name since 1994.
When at the peak of its usage in 2005, it ranked 14th when 716 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 23 times Also, Marcus was among the popular names in Sweden.
Since emerging in 1998 around 5303 babies have been given the name. At the peak of its usage in 1998, 908 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 9th position.
After 9 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 10 baby names 1 times
Marcus is common in France where over 3156 new-borns have been given the name since 1907.
Recently peaked at the charts, 318 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 213rd position. Also, In New South Wales, Marcus was once a common name since emerging in 1971 it has been given to over 3162 babies.
At its zenith in 2010,. However after 25 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Marcus is common in Victoria where over 937 new-borns have been given the name since 2008.
When at the peak of its usage in 2008, the moniker grabbed the 61st spot and 114 baby boys were given the name.
Marcus is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
In 1972, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 99 on boy names chart when 59 babies were given the name Marcus. Over 1523 babies in Ireland have been named Marcus.
Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 300 names. In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 299 on boy names chart when 54 babies were given the name Marcus.
Over 225 people have been named Marcus in Netherlands. Also, in Queensland, in just 7 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. In 2007, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 87 on boy names chart when 77 babies were given the name Marcus.
Over 401 people have been named Marcus in Queensland.
In Belgium, Marcus is a unique name where it has been in use since 1998 and has secured the place in top 300 names.
Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 265 on boy names chart when 44 babies were named Marcus. Over 321 babies in Belgium have been named Marcus. However things change on global perspective, Marcus is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 2000 have the name.
Also the baby name is popular in Germany, England, Nigeria, Australia, South Africa, Malaysia and Liberia. As per our estimate, over 470000 people has been named Marcus globally.
Marcus in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Marcus
You get easily stressed when things don't go as planned. You deserve the best because you are simply the best. Unrestricted lifestyle is your mark. You often bring your work at home because you are a workaholic. You need to learn how to appreciate your life because no one will do it for you. You love life and life loves you. You are passionate when it comes to relationships but cool off too easily.
Other names similar to Marcus, for name hunters
- Félicina - Félicinas origin is Latin is particulary used in Italian, meaning of Félicina is "Luck"
- Renate - Outlandish Renate is originated from Latin, Renate means "Regenerate or Born Again" and is given to both genders is majorly used in Finnish and Swedish
- Lauraleen - Meaning of Lauraleen is Laurel is originated from Latin
- Marina - Used chiefly in Tamil, Portuguese and Finnish unfading and famous, Marina means "From the God Mars or Of the Sea Which Belong" is originated from Latin is mostly given to both genders
- Julissa - Darling Julissa prevalently is used in English is a unisex name, meaning of Julissa is "Julie or Lisa" is rooted from Latin and English
Celebrity Baby News
- Carey Mulligan & Marcus Mumford's Growing Family: Celebrity Parents Expecting Baby No. 3
Carey Mulligan and her singer-songwriter husband Marcus Mumford, are thrilled to be expecting their third child together. A rep for the British actress, 37, confirmed the news on Friday (January 13), following an appearance by the She Said star at the AFI Awards in Los Angeles, where she was seen debuting her baby bump on the red carpet alongside her costar Zoe Kazan.
Famous people named Marcus
- Marcus Claudius Tacitus, was Roman Emperor from 275 to 276
- Marcus Aurelius, was Roman emperor from
- Marcus Cornelius Fronto, was Roman grammarian, rhetorician, and advocate
- Marcus Claudius Marcellus, important Roman military leader during the Gallic War of 225 BC and the Second Punic War
- Marcus Clarke, English-born Australian novelist, journalist, poet
- Marcus Furius Camillus, Roman soldier and statesman of patrician descent
- Marcus Valerius Probus, Roman grammarian and critic
- Marcus Terentius Varro, ancient Roman scholar and writer
- Marcus Velleius Paterculus, Roman historian
- Marcus Minucius Felix, was one of the earliest of the Latin apologists for Christianity
- Marcus Valerius Corvus, important military commander and politician
- Marcus Aurelius Marius, was emperor of the Gallic Empire
- Marcus Manlius Capitolinus, brother of Aulus Manlius Capitolinus
- Marcus Chong, American actor
- Marcus Antistius Labeo, Ancient Roman jurist of the gens Antistia
- Marcus Dods, Scottish divine and controversial biblical scholar
- Marcus George Singer, American philosopher
- Marcus Livius Drusus, Roman politician who served as consul in 112 BC.
- Marcus Antonius Primus, senator and general of the Roman Empire
- Marcus Furius Bibaculus, Roman poet
- Marcus Brigstocke, English comedian, actor and satirist
- Marcus Antonius Creticus, Roman politician, member of the Antonius family
- Marcus Antonius, Roman politician of the Antonius family and one of the most distinguished Roman orators of his time
- Marcus Harvey, English artist and painter
- Marcus Junius Silanus, Marcus Junius M. f
- Marcus Valerius Messala Barbatus, Roman Senator and father of Messalina
- Marcus Klingberg, Israeli scientist and the highest ranking Soviet spy ever caught
- Marcus Tullius Tiro, was first a slave, then a freedman of Cicero
- Marcus Caelius Rufus, orator and politician in the late Roman Republic
- Marcus Appius Bradua, Roman politician
- Marcus Valerius Messalla Messallinus, Roman senator who was elected consul in 4 BC.
- Marcus Antius Crescens Calpurnianus, Roman senator,
- Marcus Antonius Antyllus, to distinguish him from his famous father
- Marcus Aemilius Lepidus Minor, only child of triumvir Marcus Aemilius Lepidus
- Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, Roman senator, politician and general
- Marcus, Roman usurper emperor in Roman Britain
- Marcus Morton Rhoades, American cytogeneticist
- Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, Roman statesman
- Marcus Gjøe Rosenkrantz, Norwegian Government Minister and Member of Parliament
- Marcus Scribonius Libo, younger son of the consul Lucius Scribonius Libo by his wife
- Marcus Livius Drusus Claudianus, senator of the Roman Republic
- Marcus Jastrow, German born American Talmudic scholar
- Marcus Musurus, Greek scholar and philosopher
- Marcus Hyman, M.A., LL.B. (July 13, 1883—December 21, 1938
- Marcus Samuel, 1st Viscount Bearsted, Lord Mayor of London and the founder of the Shell Transport and Trading Company
- Marcus Zuerius van Boxhorn, Dutch scholar
- Marcus Schmuck, Austrian mountaineer
- Marcus Stone, English painter
- Marcus O'Day, American physicist
- Marcus Elieser Bloch, German medical doctor and naturalist
- Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Roman consul, statesman, general and architect
Lists having Marcus
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Marc
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2000)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2003)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1972)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2010)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2011)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2014)
- Baby Names that mean War
- Baby Names that mean Mars
- Baby Names that mean Roman
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Dedicated
- Baby Names that mean Sea