Christian name meaning
What does Christian mean?
The name Christian is derived from the Latin Christiānus, which comes from the Ancient Greek Χριστιανός (Khristianos). The meaning of Christian is "follower of Christ". It is celebrated on November 12th.
Some famous people with the name Christian include:
-Christian Bale, actor
-Christian Dior, fashion designer
-Christian Laettner, former basketball player
The name Christian is a good choice for a baby name because it has a rich history and meaning. It also has a strong association with famous people in a variety of fields.
Could Christian be an appropriate name for your new bundle of joy?
For Christians, it represents a belief in Jesus Christ and his teachings. Naming your child Christian is a personal choice that should reflect your values and beliefs. If you are looking for a name with religious significance, then Christian may be appropriate for your new bundle of joy. Ultimately, the decision on what to name your child should be influenced by what you feel comfortable with and what will make your child happy and proud of their identity later in life.
How do I pronounce Christian?
The most common pronunciation of two syllabled Christian is ch-ris-tian. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., chr(i)-stian.
Variants of Christian
Chrestian, Christianus, Christo, Christopher, Chrisline, Christé, Christiandaniel, Krestian, Chrisopher, Christoph, Christoff, Christopherjohn, Christophoros, Christophorus, Chrislyn
Nicknames for Christian
There are ton of nicknames to go along with Christian. Some of those include:
How popular is the name Christian?
Christian was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 440831 babies have been given the given name. At its zenith in 2006, the moniker grabbed the 21st spot and 16054 baby boys were given the name. However after 237 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 26 times Also, Christian was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 8644 babies have been given the moniker in 23 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1996, 627 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 90th position. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 100 baby names 3 times Also, an extremely popular name in France having over 405481 recievers in 138 years of usage. Presently the moniker is on a rise, in 1951, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 17299 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 4 times Also, Christian was a popular name in Spain. Over 4409 babies have been given the name in 8 years. When at its peak in 2002, the moniker grabbed the 65th spot and 688 baby boys were given the name. After 8 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 100 baby names 8 times Also, Christian was among the popular names in Italy. Since emerging in 1999 around 55066 babies have been given the moniker. At its zenith in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 17th spot and 3759 baby boys were given the name. However after 20 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 20 times Also, Christian was a popular name in Denmark. Over 27942 babies have been named Christian since 1985. At its zenith in 1990, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 1314 baby boys were given the name. However after 35 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 15 times
Christian was a common name in Switzerland. Over 1841 babies have been named Christian since 1998. When at the peak of its usage in 1998,. However after 21 years, the name is on free fall on the charts. Also, Christian used to be a common name in Sweden, first appeared in 1998 and over 1069 babies have been given the name in 7 years. At its zenith in 1998,. After 7 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, Christian was a common name in New South Wales. Over 5455 babies have been named Christian since 1971. At its zenith in 2006,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 39 years but it is still going strong. Also, A common name in Victoria with over 1056 new-borns have been given the name since 2008. Recently the name is rising, in 2009, the moniker grabbed the 44th spot and 142 baby boys were given the name.
Christian is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1968 and was able to reach the top 100 names. In 2007, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 86 on boy names chart when 90 babies were given the name Christian. Over 1521 babies in Ireland have been named Christian. Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 300 names. Recently in 2016, 64 babies were given Christian and it reached its peak ranking, 247 on boy names chart. Over 268 people have been named Christian in Netherlands. Also, in Queensland, the name has been in use since 1973 and has secured the place in top 100 names. In 2006, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 64 on boy names chart when 86 babies were given the name Christian. Over 1036 babies in Queensland have been named Christian.
Christian is a unique baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 1996, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 293 on boy names chart when 37 babies were named Christian. Over 659 people have been named Christian in Belgium. However things change on global perspective, Christian is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Philippines, Nigeria and Mexico. Also the baby name is popular in Madagascar, DR Congo, Austria, Burundi, Chad, Ecuador, Ghana, Congo, Central African Republic, Canada, Cameroon, Chile, Rwanda, Peru, Argentina, England, Indonesia, Tanzania, Brazil, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Norway, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Venezuela, Paraguay, Sudan, Gabon, Benin, Egypt, Australia, Mozambique, Togo, Guatemala, Ivory Coast and Dominican Republic. At least, 3060000 people globally have been given the name as per our research.
Numerological aspects of Christian
The sky is your only limit. If your name ends with letter N, you are not an ordinary person. When you like someone in a romantic way, it makes you nervous. Having letter I as your first vowel represents your elegance, impulsive attitude, big heart, and gentle soul. You have a strong will to succeed and survive on your own. You believe that what you give is what you will receive. In fact, you are known as the original weirdo who creates cool stuff.
Looking for names similar to Christian? Please go through the following names
- Chrisie - Atypical Chrisies origin is Latin, Chrisie means "Disciple of the Christ and Christ-bearer" is used for baby girls. Chrisie is resulted from Christina.
- Signa - Origin of Darling and Orthodox Signa is in Latin language is a girl name especially used in Finnish and Faroese, meaning of Signa is "To Bless"
- Gloriana - Gloriana's meaning is Glory or Glorious Grace has its origin in Latin, used predominantly in English, Finnish and Swedish is given to girls
- Maralyn - Customary Maralyn has its origin in Hebrew, French and Egyptian is majorly used in English and English, a gender-neutral name, Maralyn means "Blend of Marie or Mary or Lyn or Beautiful Waterfall"
- Marius - Used chiefly in Faroese and English persistent and prominent, Marius aimed at boys and originated from Latin, Marius means "Sea or Mars"
Sibling Names for Christian
Looking for some unique and meaningful names to pair with the popular name "Christian"? Look no further! We've curated a list of sibling names that complement the name Christian perfectly, while still offering a distinct and individual identity for each child. From classic and timeless picks to more modern and trendy options, there's something for every family on this list.
Sister to Christian
Brother for Christian
Famous people named Christian
- Christian Pineau, noted French Resistance fighter
- Christian Thomasius, German jurist and philosopher
- Christian Lobeck, German classical scholar
- Christian Lassen, Norwegian-born orientalist and professor of Old Indian language and literature at the University of Bonn
- Christian August Crusius, German philosopher and Protestant theologian
- Christian Wolff, American composer of experimental classical music
- Christian Sinding, Norwegian composer
- Christian Daniel Rauch, German sculptor
- Christian Bernard, current Imperator of AMORC
- Christian Gmelin, German chemist
- Christian Jacq, French author and Egyptologist
- Christian Metz, French film theorist, best
- Christian Jobin, Canadian politician and was the Member of Parliament for the district of Lévis-et-Chutes-de-la-Chaudière
- Christian August Brandis, German philologist and historian of philosophy
- Christian Winther, Danish lyric poet
- Christian Friedrich, Baron Stockmar, German physician and statesman
- Christian Heinrich Friedrich Peters, German–American astronomer
- Christian Rohlfs, German painter
- Christian Pollas, French astronomer an discoverer of minor planets and observer of Supernovae
- Christian Rakovsky, Bulgarian socialist revolutionary
- Christian Ludwig Brehm, German pastor and ornithologist
- Christian Poncelet, conservative French politician
- Christian Gottfried Daniel Nees von Esenbeck, prolific German botanist, physician, zoologist
- Christian Ludwig Ideler, German chronologist and astronomer
- Christian August Friedrich Peters, German astronomer
- Christian Friedrich Wilhelm Jacobs, a German classical scholar, was born at Gotha
- Christian Graf von Haugwitz, German statesman
- Christian Otto Mohr, German civil engineer
- Christian Ferras, French violinist
- Christian Günther, was Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Christian von Koenigsegg, founder and CEO of the Swedish high-performance automobile manufacturer Koenigsegg Automotive AB
- Christian Lautenschlager, German Grand Prix motor racing champion
- Christian Friedrich Schwarz, German Lutheran missionary to India
- Christian Michelsen, Norwegian shipping magnate and statesman
- Christian Friedrich Daniel Schubart, German poet, organist, composer, and journalist
- Christian Daniel Beck, German philologist, historian
- Christian de Quincey, philosopher and author who teaches consciousness
- Christian Gotthilf Salzmann, German educational reformer and the founder of the Schnepfenthal institution
- Christian Goldbach, German mathematician who also studied law
- Christian Doppler, Austrian mathematician and physicist
- Christian Jürgensen Thomsen, Danish antiquarian
- Christian Hermann Weisse, German Protestant religious philosopher and professor of philosophy at the University of Leipzig
- Christian Wolff, German philosopher
- Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg, German naturalist, zoologist, comparative anatomist
- Christian Lous Lange, Norwegian historian, teacher
- Christian de Duve, Nobel Prize-winning Belgian cytologist and biochemist
- Christian Friedrich Schönbein, German-Swiss chemist
- Christian Leopold von Buch, German geologist and paleontologist
- Christian B. Anfinsen, Christian Boehmer Anfinsen Jr
- Christian von Ehrenfels, Austrian philosopher
- Christian X of Denmark, was King of Denmark from 1912 to 1947
- Christian IX of Denmark, was King of Denmark from 1863 to 1906
- Christian Science, set of beliefs and practices belonging to the metaphysical family of new religious movements
- Christian Morgenstern, German author and poet from Munich
- Christian Dior, French fashion designer
- Christian II of Denmark, Scandinavian monarch under the Kalmar Union
- Christian III of Denmark, reigned as King of Denmark
- Christian IV of Denmark, in Norway
- Christian V of Denmark, was king of Denmark and Norway
- Christian VII of Denmark, monarch of the House of Oldenburg
- Christian VIII of Denmark, King of Norway in 1814
- Christian Gottlob Heyne, German classical scholar and archaeologist as well as long-time director of the Göttingen State and University Library
Lists having Christian
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with C
- Girls names beginning with C
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Chris
- Girl names that starts with Chris
- Boy names that ends with -ian
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (1998)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2009)
- Popular Boy Names in France (1980)
- Popular Boy Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2006)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2009)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2007)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2010)
- Baby Names that mean Follower
- Baby Names that mean Christ
- Baby Names that mean Anointed
- Baby Names that mean Christian
- Baby Names that mean Woman
- Baby Names that mean Disciple
- Baby Names that mean Belonging
- Baby Names that mean One