Selma name meaning
On This Page
What does Selma mean?
Persistent and Desirable Selma mostly is used in Faroese, Danish, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Sanskrit, Swedish, Tamil, Icelandic, Arabic, Telugu, Norwegian, Gujarati, German, Finnish, Marathi, English and Bengali aimed at both sexes, meaning of Selma is "Fair, Protected by God, Helmet of God, Sacrifice, Beautiful View or Perfectly Healthy" has its origin in Germanic, Celtic and Arabic.
Selma is variant of Selima. Selima means Tranquil and Safe and Sound is rooted from Arabic and Hebrew is dominantly used in Arabic. Selma is effeminate variant of Selmer. Selmer is a form of Zelmer.
Also Selmer is variant of Selmar. Selmer is also version of Selm.
How does Selma feel as a baby name?
The name Selma is a beautiful and unique choice for parents who want to give their baby girl a name that has both roots in Germanic history and an air of sophistication.
Selma means God's helmet, which represents strength and protection, as well as beautiful view or peace. This name is perfect for parents who want to instill these values in their daughter from an early age.
It's also versatile enough to be paired with many different middle names, making it a wonderful choice for parents who prefer more traditional names or those looking for something more modern.
Whether you choose Selma because of its meaning or simply because you love the sound of it, your daughter is sure to stand out with this special name.
How do I pronounce Selma?
s(e)-lma is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Selma. sel-ma is another way(s) to say the name.
Variants of SelmaNames that rhyme with Selma
How popular is the name Selma?
Selma was a popular name in United States. Over 26707 babies have been given the first name in 180 years. At its zenith in 1891, it ranked 162nd when 798 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 180 years. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 500 baby names an amazing 59 times Also, Selma was a popular name in France.
Over 10135 babies have been named Selma since 1900. When at the peak of its usage in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 112nd spot and 553 baby girls were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 68 years but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 500 baby names 30 times Also, a popular name in Sweden with over 2229 new-borns have been given the name since 1999.
Recently peaking at the charts, 534 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 16th position. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 4 times
Selma was a common name in Denmark.
Over 462 babies have been named Selma since 2005. At its zenith in 2010,. After 3 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 3 times Selma is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2007, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 127 on girl names chart when 54 babies were given the name Selma. Over 869 babies in Switzerland have been named Selma.
Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names. In 2012, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 190 on girl names chart when 55 babies were given the name Selma.
There are over 828 babies that have been given the name Selma in Belgium.
Selma is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 2000 names.
In 2005, it ranked 1082nd when 28 girls were named Selma. There are over 330 babies that have been given the name Selma in England and Wales. Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 400 names.
Recently in 2016, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 343 on girl names chart when 39 babies were named Selma. There are over 166 babies that have been given the name Selma in Netherlands.
However things change on global perspective, Selma is extremely popular in Turkey where every 1 in 500 have the name as well as in Brazil. Also the baby name is popular in Mozambique, Sudan, Namibia, Morocco, Algeria, Germany, Angola and Tunisia.
According to our estimate, at least 520000 people have been bestowed Selma around the globe.
Selma in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Selma
Reveal your pain and let people who've hurt you know how you feel. Be the living proof to those who ignored you, they need to realize you were right this whole time. You often get involved with people who have a hard time to express how they actually feel. If letter A is your capstone in your name, it reveals your challenging nature and ambitious perspective. You should be more careful with your actions. You can hurt people with your recklessness.
If you like Selma, you would love these names
- Raitah - The girl name Raitah means "A Narrator of Hadith or Narrator of Hadith" is used largely in Sindhi and Arabic
- Suriah - Meaning of Suriah is Glittering Sun and Beauty of the Stars is rooted from Sanskrit is used for both boys and girls. Suriah is derivation of Surya.
- Riyansika - The rare and fresh girl name Riyansika is used specifically in Arabic and Tamil, Riyansika means "Goddess"
- Rad - Unfamiliar Rad has its origin in Old English and Hebrew is used as a baby boy name, Rad means "Adviser" is dominantly used in English and Arabic
- Firas - Unorthodox Firas came from Arabic is mainly used in Sindhi and Arabic and is aimed at boys, meaning of Firas is "Knight or Perspicacious"
Middle names for Selma
These familiar and attractive middle names fit well with Selma.
View more middle names that goes with Selma.
Famous people named Selma
- Selma Meerbaum-Eisinger, Romanian-born German-language poet
- Selma Jeanne Cohen, historian, teacher, author, and editor
- Selma Chalabi, British radio producer and journalist for BBC Wales
- Selma Fraiberg, child psychoanalyst, author and social worker
- Selma Blair, American actress
- Selma Björnsdóttir, Icelandic actress and singer born on 13 June 1974
- Selma Diamond, Canadian-American comedic actress and radio and television writer
- Selma Bajrami, Bosnian pop-folk singer
- Selma Burke, American sculptor and a member of the Harlem Renaissance movement
- Selma Hassan, Minister of Labor and Human Welfare of Eritrea
- Selma Urfer, Swiss author, translator and actress
- Selma Kurz, Austrian operatic soprano
- Selma Botman, American academic
- Selma Yağcı, Turkish female boxer competing
- Selma Lagerlöf in Körkarlen as Writer
- Selma Copijn in Skinhearts as Actress
- Selma Sins in Love Boat XXX: A Parody as Actress
- Selma Güneri in Mum kokulu kadinlar as Actress
- Selma Archerd in Die Hard as Actress
- Selma Stern in Bruce Almighty as Actress
- Selma Ergeç is a Turkish-German actress, model, designer, psychologist and doctor.
- In 2010, Selma El Mouissi characterized the role of Laetitia in drama and mystery movie Simon Werner a disparu....
- Selma Sevil, from 1956 drama, romance movie Birakin yasayalim, who portrayed N.
- Selma Sanchez characterized vital role of Esposa Horacio in 2015 drama flick Enero.
Lists having Selma
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- Arabic Baby Names
- American Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Sanskrit Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Fair
- Baby Names that mean Protected
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Helmet
- Baby Names that mean Safe
- Baby Names that mean Protection
- Baby Names that mean Divinely
- Baby Names that mean Sacrifice
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful
- Baby Names that mean Healthy