Laurence name meaning
On This Page
What does Laurence mean?
Illustrous and Evergreen unisex name Laurence is used in English, Danish, Finnish, French, Norwegian and Swedish has its roots in Latin, meaning of Laurence is "Crowned with Laurels, Form of Lawrence, Too: Laurel Wreath or From Laurentum Stem End".
Laurence is a variant of popular Laurent. Laurent is variant of prevalent, virtuous and immutable Laurence. Also Laurent is version of Laurentius. Laurent's meaning is Laurel has origin in Latin. Also Laurence is form of Laurentia in French language..
The name is celebrated on October 19 or August 10.
Is the name Laurence suitable for a newborn?
Laurence is a classic, timeless name that exudes strength and intelligence. It has a charming sound to it, making it perfect for parents seeking a baby name that's both elegant and masculine.
Laurence is versatile in terms of its usage, as it can be shortened to nicknames like Larry or Ren. The name has been prominent throughout history, with notable figures such as Saint Laurence and Laurence Olivier bearing the moniker.
Additionally, the name is not overly common, making it distinctive without being too obscure. Overall, choosing Laurence as your baby's name will give them a strong foundation for their future endeavors while also adding a touch of sophistication to their identity.
How do I pronounce Laurence?
Two syllabled Laurence is pronounced as la(u)-ren-ce. Some people pronounce it as laur(e)-nce.
Variants of LaurenceNames that rhyme with Laurence
How popular is the name Laurence?
Laurence was a popular name in United States. Over 39698 babies have been given the name in 202 years. When at its peak in 1898, 843 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 201st position.
After 202 years, the name has past its prime. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 500 baby names a staggering 91 times Also, an extremely popular name in France with over 181777 new-borns have been given the name since 1900.
When at the peak of its usage in 1969, the moniker grabbed the 6th spot and 11784 baby girls were given the name. Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 7 times
Laurence used to be a common name in England and Wales, first appeared in 1996 and over 2819 babies have been given the name in 23 years.
At its zenith in 1997,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but it is still going strong. Also, Laurence is common in Ireland where over 2590 new-borns have been given the name since 1964.
When at the peak of its usage in 1968, 141 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 47th position.
Laurence is a familiar baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 1995, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 143 on girl names chart when 82 babies were given the name Laurence. There are over 655 babies that have been given the name Laurence in Belgium.
Also, during its short run of just 5 years in New South Wales, it had made it to the top 100 names. In 1952, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 86 on boy names chart when 70 babies were given the name Laurence.
Over 312 people have been named Laurence in New South Wales.
Laurence is a unique baby name in Queensland during its short run, it been to the top 100 names.
In 1960, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 92 on boy names chart when 34 babies were named Laurence. The first name is a rare baby name in Queensland and may not be used now.
But Laurence is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 3000 have the name as well as in, Rwanda, DR Congo, Philippines, Madagascar and Canada. As per our estimate, over 530000 babies have been bestowed Laurence around the globe.
Laurence in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Laurence
Work on your personal progress. You want to help others and leave an impression. You never get too obsessed with a person because you know that everything in life is temporary, especially relationships. Your failures motivate you. Your independence and narcissism make you more attractive than you already are in people's eyes. You love to change and can't stand constancy and monotony. You always have the best ideas and persistence to realize each and one of them at work.
If you like Laurence, you would love these names
- Julion - Queer boy name Julion means "Jove's Child and Youthful" is originated from Latin. Julion is resulted from Julian.
- Diviana - Unusual and Contemporary Divianas origin is Latin and Indoeuropean is notably used in English and is given to girls, meaning of Diviana is "Divine, of a God with Indo-European Roots, *Deiwos = Sky, Day or Shining"
- Auriane - Auriane's meaning is The Golden or Gold used for baby girls used in French is originated from Latin
- Fortunée means Chance is originated from Latin
- Romini - Used mainly in Marathi and Gujarati, Romini is originated from Latin, Romini means "Beautiful Girl or Pretty" is aimed at baby girls
Middle names for Laurence
We've compiled a list of the flourishing and sought-after middle names for Laurence below.
View more middle names that goes with Laurence.
Famous people named Laurence
- Laurence Olivier, English actor and director who
- Laurence Tomson, English politician, author, and translator
- Laurence Manning, Canadian science fiction author
- Laurence Alma-Tadema, English novelist and poet of the late 19th and early 20th centuries
- Laurence Saunders, English Protestant martyr whose story is recorded
- Laurence Housman, English playwright, writer and illustrator
- Laurence Sydney Brodribb Irving, well known English dramatist and novelist
- Laurence Henry Hicks, English-born military bandmaster and composer
- Laurence Shirley, 4th Earl Ferrers, English nobleman
- Laurence Canter,
- Laurence Echard, English historian and clergyman
- Laurence Oliphant, South African-born British author, traveller
- Laurence Minot, English poet
- Laurence Hilliard, English miniature painter
- Laurence Rees, British historian
- Laurence Lerner, South African-born British literary critic and poet and novelist
- Laurence Lampert, Canadian philosopher and a leading scholar
- Laurence Thompson, World War II veteran, sinologist
- Laurence Whistler, British poet and artist
- Laurence Oliphant, Jacobite army officer
- Laurence Iannaccone, Professor of Economics at Chapman University
- Laurence Nowell, English antiquarian
- Laurence Borremans, was Miss Belgium 1996 and a semi-finalist at the Miss World pageant
- Laurence Clarkson, English theologian and accused heretic
- Laurence Whalen, retired senior judge of the United States Tax Court
- Laurence Skog, American botanist
- Laurence Wedgwood, director of the Wedgwood pottery firm
- Laurence Rochat, Swiss cross-country skier
- Laurence Jackson, Scottish curler
- Laurence Higgins, founder and Pastor Emeritus of the St
- Laurence Collier, British ambassador to Norway between 1939 and 1950
- Laurence Moody, English television director who, after reading English at Cambridge University
- Laurence Crane, composer of contemporary classical music
- Laurence Bruce, son of John Bruce of Cultmalindie and Eupheme Elphinstone
- Laurence Goldstein, poet, editor
- Laurence Lynn Jr., Laurence E. Lynn Jr
- Laurence Waddell,
- Laurence Dunmore, graphic designer and film director whose first major collaboration was the British production of 'The Libertine'
- Laurence Hutton, American essayist and critic
- Laurence Freeman, Catholic priest and a Benedictine monk of Turvey Abbey
- Laurence Hawley Watres, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Laurence Coughlan, Irish-born itinerant preacher
- Laurence Edmondston, Dr
- Laurence Galian, dervish of the Halveti-Jerrahi Order from Istanbul
- Laurence F. Johnson, American futurist, author, and educator
- Laurence Villiers, 7th Earl of Clarendon, British peer from the Villiers family
- Laurence Bily, retired French sprinter
- Laurence of Canterbury, second Archbishop of Canterbury
- Laurence BonJour, American philosopher and Emeritus of Philosophy at the University of Washington
- Laurence Monroe Klauber, American herpetologist and the foremost authority on rattlesnakes
- Laurence Sterne, Irish-born English language novelist and an Anglican clergyman
- Laurence Janifer, American science fiction author
- Laurence Binyon, English poet, dramatist and art scholar
Lists having Laurence
- Boys names beginning with L
- Girls names beginning with L
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Girl names that starts with Lau
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1980)
- Popular Girl Names in France (1985)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1956)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1960)
- Baby Names that mean Crowned
- Baby Names that mean Laurels
- Baby Names that mean Laurel
- Baby Names that mean Stem
- Baby Names that mean End
- Baby Names that mean Wreath