Dennis name meaning
On This Page
What does Dennis mean?
Dennis's meaning is God of Wine, Mountain of Zeus, Named for Saint Denys, Follower of Dionysius or Servant of is used majorly in Greenlandic, English, Finnish, French, Faroese, Swedish, Danish, German, Norwegian, Dutch and Icelandic.
Its origin is in Old Greek is a gender-neutral name . Dennis is variant of prevailing and pious Denis. Denis is a form of venerable, saintly and renowned Dennis. Denis is French cognate of Dionysius.
Also Denis is equivalent of Dionysius in French language. Dominant and Perennial Old Greek Denis, meaning of Denis is "Named for Saint Denys, Mountain of Zeus and God of the Vine".
Also Dennis is equivalent of Dionysius in English language. The name is celebrated on October 9.
How does Dennis sound as a baby name?
Dennis, with its Greek origin, is a popular name for baby boys. The name means "follower of Dionysus," the Greek god of wine and fertility.
Many parents choose this name for their little ones because of its strong and powerful meaning. It also has a vintage feel to it that never goes out of style. Dennis sounds charming and friendly, an ideal choice for parents looking for a traditional yet unique name for their son.
Moreover, the nickname "Den" is catchy and easy to remember, making it easy for kids to introduce themselves as they grow up. Overall, Dennis is an excellent choice that's sure to stand the test of time.
How do I pronounce Dennis?
Two syllabled Dennis is pronounced as d(en)-nis.
Variants of DennisNames that rhyme with Dennis
How popular is the name Dennis?
Dennis was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 620559 babies have been named Dennis since 1880. When at its peak in 1949, 24555 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 16th position.
However after 238 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 34 times In England and Wales, Dennis was once a common name since emerging in 1996 it has been given to over 2020 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2005,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but it is still going strong. Also, In Denmark, Dennis was once a common name since emerging in 1985 it has been given to over 3338 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 1985,. After 10 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 10 times Also, Dennis used to be a common name in Sweden, first appeared in 1998 and over 1969 babies have been given the name in 9 years.
When at its peak in 1998,. After 9 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, A common name in Belgium with over 799 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
At the peak of its usage in 1995, 122 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 100th position. Also, Dennis used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1952 and over 2177 babies have been given the name in 18 years.
When at its peak in 1952,. After 18 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Dennis is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2002, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 104 on boy names chart when 76 babies were given the name Dennis. Over 692 babies in Switzerland have been named Dennis.
The name is a unique baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 400 names. In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 389 on boy names chart when 39 babies were named Dennis.
Also, in Queensland, the name had been in use for 13 years beginning from 1960 and had secured the place in top 100 names. In 1964, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 73 on boy names chart when 49 babies were named Dennis.
Over 487 people have been named Dennis in Queensland.
Dennis is an uncommon baby name in Ireland, even after 52 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 200.
Over 403 people have been named Dennis in Ireland. During its 52 years of usage in France, it had made up to just the top 500 boy names. There are over 466 babies that have been given the name Dennis in France.
However things change on global perspective, Dennis is extremely popular in Kenya where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in Philippines. Also the baby name is popular in England, Canada, Nigeria, Ghana, Germany, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi, Australia, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Malaysia, Honduras, Peru, Sudan, New Zealand, Jamaica, Venezuela, Brazil, Rwanda and Wales.
As per our evaluation, over 1800000 people has been named Dennis globally.
What numbers say about Dennis?
You often get involved with people who have a hard time to express how they actually feel. No one dares to say bad things about you. Not everyone wants to change the world as you do. You are a strong, awake, down-to-earth person. And you need someone with total opposite traits. You need to start looking out for yourself more. Find out what drives you. You lack self-discipline. It's time you set up a positive mind-set, open up to new adventures and explore the world.
You would love these names similar to Dennis
- Euseby - Boy name Euseby means "Pious" which originated from Old Greek is used especially in English
- Melita - Meaning of Melita is Honey or Abbreviation of Carmelita is notably used in Finnish and Danish and is used for baby girls came from Spanish, Old Greek and Hebrew
- Meagin - Unorthodox Meagin has its origin in Old Greek is a baby girl name, Meagin means "A Person who Looks Like the Sky, Diminutive of Margaret and Strong and Capable". Meagin is derived from Megan.
- Timothe - Outlandish Timothe came from Old Greek, meaning of Timothe is "Honoring God" bestowed upon baby boys is used in French
- Nikolaï - The Nikolaï has its origin in Greek, Nikolaï means "Victory or People" is mostly used in Russian language
Sibling Names for Dennis
If you have decided on the name "Dennis" for your little one, it's natural to want to pick a matching sibling name. Whether you're looking for a classic or modern name, we've compiled a list of 20 sibling names that pair perfectly with Dennis. Check out our top picks below!
Sister to Dennis
Brother to Dennis
Famous people named Dennis
- Dennis Brain, British virtuoso horn player
- Dennis Hayes, founder of 'Hayes Microcomputer Products'
- Dennis Murphy, composer, musician, instrument maker, artist
- Dennis di Cicco, American amateur astronomer and a discoverer of minor planets
- Dennis Walsh, English astronomer
- Dennis Lewiston, cinematographer and former camera operator with a career spanning the 1960s through the 1990s
- Dennis Heeney, Manitoba politician
- Dennis Bennett, American Episcopal priest, who, starting in 1960
- Dennis Schmitt, veteran explorer and adventurer
- Dennis McKenna, American ethnopharmacologist
- Dennis Trudeau, Canadian broadcaster based in Montreal
- Dennis Gruending, Canadian journalist and politician
- Dennis Hart Mahan, father of American naval historian and theorist Rear Admiral Alfred Thayer Mahan
- Dennis J. Hutchinson, Senior Lecturer
- Dennis Danvers, American author of science fiction novels
- Dennis Looze, athlete from the Netherlands
- Dennis Callahan, American politician from Annapolis, Maryland
- Dennis O'Keeffe, was Professor of Social Science at the University of Buckingham and formerly editor of the 'Salisbury Review'
- Dennis L. McKiernan, American writer best
- Dennis Hammond, was
- Dennis Kozlowski, former CEO of Tyco International
- Dennis Mahony, was one of the founders of the Dubuque 'Herald'
- Dennis Jonsson, Swedish football defender currently playing for Örgryte IS
- Dennis Olsen, Australian singer, actor, director and pianist
- Dennis Wyness, Scottish footballer who plays for Huntly
- Dennis Scott, Jamaican poet, playwright, actor and dancer
- Dennis Corrigan, American illustrator
- Dennis Darling, Bahamian athlete who specializes in the 400 metres
- Dennis McNerney, American Democratic Party politician
- Dennis Feltham Jones,
- Dennis Patrick, American character actor, primarily in television
- Dennis Chamberland, American bioengineer, explorer, and author
- Dennis Dreith, motion picture music composer, arranger
- Dennis Altman, Australian academic and pioneering gay rights activist
- Dennis Jürgensen, is one of the most popular Danish writers for kids and young adults
- Dennis Crouch, American patent attorney
- Dennis Gahagan, immigrant in the Mexican Pueblo de San Diego
- Dennis Vance, British television producer and director
- Dennis Bock, Canadian novelist and short story writer
- Dennis Byron, former President of the Caribbean Court of Justice
- Dennis Byars, Nebraska state senator from Beatrice
- Dennis L. Serrette, New Alliance Party candidate for United States President
- Dennis Russell Davies, American conductor and pianist
- Dennis Ippolito, professor of political science at Southern Methodist University and considered a leading historian and expert on governmental budget theory
- Dennis Ritchie, scientist
- Dennis Gabor, Hungarian-British electrical engineer and physicist
- Dennis Tito, American engineer and multimillionaire
- Dennis Joseph Dougherty, American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Dennis W. Sciama, British physicist who
- Dennis Lindley, English statistician
- Dennis Hopper, American actor, director, writer, film editor
- Dennis Bergkamp, Dutch former professional footballer
- Dennis Conner, American yachtsman
- Dennis Potter, English television dramatist
- Dennis Price, English actor
- Dennis Hastert, former American politician
Lists having Dennis
- Boys names beginning with D
- Girls names beginning with D
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Girl names that starts with Den
- Popular Boy Names in United States (1984)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (1990)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1970)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1973)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2009)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Wine
- Baby Names that mean Mountain
- Baby Names that mean Saint
- Baby Names that mean Follower
- Baby Names that mean Servant
- Baby Names that mean Dedicated
- Baby Names that mean Vine