Dion name meaning
What does Dion mean?
Widespread unisex name Dion means "God, Follower of Dionysius, Greek God of Wine, Of Zeus, Dedicated to Dionysos or Of the God Dionysus Devotees" and of Old Greek origin is predominantly used in Norwegian, Faroese, English, French, Finnish, Danish, Swedish and German. Dion is variation of sacred Dionysius. Dionysius is variant form of noteworthy, virtuous and timeless Dennis. Dionysius is form of Διονυσος, the Greek God of Wine, Fertility, Revelry;Dance in Greek and Latin languages. Dionysius's meaning is Dedicated to Dionysos and God Dionysus Sanctified has origin in Old Greek is substantially used in Swedish, Finnish and German. Dion is a short version of Dennis. Dennis is a version of venerable, saintly and dominant Denis. Dennis is English form of Denis. Also Dennis is form of Dionysius in English language. Dennis's meaning is Follower of Dionysos and Servant of is of Old Greek origin.
How do I pronounce Dion?
DEE-on is the most common way to pronounce one syllabled Dion. The pronunciation choose to emphasis on first DEE syllable. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., dion.
Variants of DionNames that rhyme with Dion
How popular is the name Dion?
Dion was a popular name in United States. Over 18687 babies have been given the name in 159 years. At its zenith in 1969, 555 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 338th position. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 159 years. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 500 baby names 18 times Dion is a common name in England and Wales given to over 1839 babies in 40 years. At present the moniker is on a rise, in 1999, it ranked 271st when 103 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
In Switzerland, Dion is a familiar name where it has been in use since 1998 and has secured the place in top 200 names. In 2010, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 122 on boy names chart when 68 babies were given the name Dion. Over 734 babies in Switzerland have been named Dion. Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 300 names. Recently in 2017, 53 babies were given Dion and it reached its peak ranking, 296 on boy names chart. Over 216 babies in Netherlands have been named Dion.
Dion is an uncommon baby name in Ireland where it is still in use. There are over 112 babies that have been given the name Dion in Ireland. Also, it is uncommon in France, where it has been in use since 2004 and peaked in 2011 when it ranked 2169th. In Belgium, it has been in use since 2000 and peaked in 2006 when it ranked 651st. Over 122 people have been named Dion in Belgium. But Dion is a popular baby name in Indonesia where every 1 in 40000 have the name as well as in Ivory Coast. According to our evaluation, at least 50000 people have been bestowed Dion around the globe.
Dion in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Dion?
You don't need people to tell you that you are awesome and special because you already know. Having letter I as your first vowel represents your elegance, impulsive attitude, big heart, and gentle soul. You neglect your own issues and helping other is more important to you. You are an inspirational person who respects the rules and social restrictions. As every person has its flaws, you are not an exception.
If you like Dion, you would love these names
- Dimitria means Dedicated to Demeter and Follower of Demeter is a baby girl name has its roots in Old Greek is used in English. Dimitria is spelling variation of Demetria.
- Niklaus - Originated from Old Greek, Unfamiliar Niklaus bestowed upon boys, Niklaus means "Victory or People or Victory of the People" is predominantly used in Swedish, German and Finnish
- Damiana - Unorthodox Damianas origin is Old Greek is substantially used in Danish, Swedish and Italian, a baby girl name, meaning of Damiana is "Subdue, The Word Daman Which is of the Meaning to Tame to Subdue to Kill or Tame"
- Elénaïc has its origin in Greek language which is used predominantly in Breton, Elénaïc means "Burst of the Sun"
- Onesimus - The uncommon boy name Onesimus is rooted from Old Greek, Onesimus means "Profitable"
Middle names for Dion
Here is a list of rising and famous middle names that go with the baby name Dion.
View more middle names that goes with Dion.
Famous people named Dion
- Dion McGregor, American songwriter known for talking in his sleep
- Dion Boucicault Jr., Dion Boucicault Jr
- Dion Forster, Prof
- Dion Graus, Dutch politician and animal rights activist
- Dion Aroner, Democrat
- Dion Payton, American Chicago blues guitarist and singer
- Dion Fortune, British occultist, Christian Qabalist
- Dion Boucicault, Irish actor and playwright famed for his melodramas
- Dion DiMucci, American singer and songwriter whose work has incorporated elements of doo-wop
- Dion Dublin, English television presenter and former footballer
- Dion Nash, played for the New Zealand cricket team
- Dion Phaneuf, Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League
- Dion James, former Major League Baseball player
- Dion Ebrahim, former Zimbabwean cricketer
- Dion Glover, American former professional basketball player
- Dion Lam, Hong Kong action choreographer and actor
- Dion Beebe, Australian-South African cinematographer
- Dion Workman, musician from New Zealand
- Dion Crabbe, sprinter from the British Virgin Islands
- Dion Byrum, American football cornerback
- Dion Ignacio, Filipino actor and musician
- Dion Valle, Chilean-Australian footballer
- Dion Waller, former New Zealand rugby union footballer
- Dion and the Belmonts, leading American vocal group of the late 1950s
- Dion Woods, former professional Australian rules footballer
- Dion O'Cuinneagain, former rugby union player
- Dion Basco, American film and television actor of Filipino heritage
- Dion Frazer, Belizean professional football striker
- Dion Foxx, former American football linebacker
- Dionisia Cirasola in Focaccia blues as Production Designer
- Dionne Pitsikoulis in Across the Universe as Make-Up Department
- Dionne Houle in Valley of Love as Actress
- Dionne Mendez in Episode dated 30 August 2013 as
- Dionne Walker in Black Voters Speak as Producer
- Dionne Monsanto in Kabilang dulo as Actress
- Dion Casio Coceyano, full name Lucius Claudius Cassius DiÅ Cocceiënus, also known as Dio Cassius or Cassius Dio, was a Roman historian and senator.
- Dion Abu Bakar, from 1995 action and comedy film Bisikan Cinta, who characterized the N.
- In 1979, Dion Pride played the role of Specks in family, mystery film The Double McGuffin.
- In 2006, Dion Day played the role of Jackson in action and horror film The Quick and the Undead.
Lists having Dion
- Boys names beginning with D
- Girls names beginning with D
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Boy names that ends with -ion
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Follower
- Baby Names that mean Greek
- Baby Names that mean Wine
- Baby Names that mean Dedicated