Ethan name meaning
What does Ethan mean?
Ethan is a Hebrew name meaning "firm, strong, enduring". The name has been in use since the early days of the Old Testament. The first recorded use of Ethan as a given name was in the book of Genesis, when Ethan was the son of Ezrah. In the Bible, Ethan is one of three men who are described as being "more wise than all other men" (1 Kings 4:31).
The name Ethan was brought to public attention in the United States by President Abraham Lincoln, who had an ancestor named Ethan Allen (1738-1789), a hero of the American Revolution. Lincoln also gave his second son the middle name "Ethan" in honor of Allen.
Since the mid-20th century, Ethan has been one of the most popular names for baby boys in the United States. It peaked at number 2 on the list of most common names for boys born in 2009 and has remained in the top 20 since past 21 years.
There are many famous people named Ethan, including:
-Ethan Hawke: an American actor, writer, and director; Ethan Embry: an American actor; Ethan Coen: an American film director, producer, screenwriter, and editor; Ethan Ackerley: a British businessman and former CEO of the football club Everton FC; Ethan Zohn: a former professional soccer player and reality television personality
Ethan is a strong and handsome name that has been rising in popularity in recent years. Ethan is a great choice for parents who want their son to have a strong and masculine name. Ethan is also a versatile name that can be shortened to "Ettie" for a more playful nickname.
Is Ethan a suitable baby name?
Yes, Ethan is a suitable baby name. The name is of Hebrew origin and means "gift of God". It is a strong, traditional name that has been popular in recent years. Ethan can be shortened to the more modern version of "Ethan" which could make the baby's name stand out even more. It is easy to pronounce and spell which makes it easier for the child as they grow up. Overall, Ethan is a great choice for parents looking for a classic yet timeless name for their little one.
How do I pronounce Ethan?
Two syllabled Ethan is most commonly pronounced as e-than.
Variants of Ethan
Nicknames for Ethan
Here is the list of Possible nicknames for the baby name Ethan:Names that rhyme with Ethan
How popular is the name Ethan?
Ethan was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 425614 babies have been given the moniker in 152 years. When at its peak in 2009, 22204 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 2nd position. However after 152 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 9 times Also, Ethan was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 69220 babies have been named Ethan since 1996. When at its peak in 2011, it ranked 11st when 4581 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 21 times Also, Ethan was a popular name in France. Over 59836 babies have been named Ethan since 1989. When at its peak in 2012, 4799 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 5th position. However after 32 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 2 times Also, Ethan was among the popular names in New South Wales. Since emerging in 1991 around 11518 babies have been given the name. At its zenith in 2011, 658 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 4th position. However after 29 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 2 times
Ethan was a common name in Ireland. Over 4016 babies have been named Ethan since 1989. When at the peak of its usage in 2012,. However after 31 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Ethan is a common name in Switzerland given to over 1503 babies in 21 years. Currently the name is rising, in 2014, the moniker grabbed the 55th spot and 129 baby boys were given the name. Also, In Belgium, Ethan was once a common name since emerging in 1995 it has been given to over 4480 babies. At its zenith in 2015,. However after 24 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Ethan used to be a common name in Queensland, first appeared in 1990 and over 7799 babies have been given the name in 30 years. At its zenith in 2002,. However after 30 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Ethan was a common name in Western Australia. Over 3348 babies have been named Ethan since 2001. At its zenith in 2011,. However after 19 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 8 times Also, A common name in Victoria having over 4162 recievers in 12 years of usage. When at its peak in 2012, 445 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 4th position. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 3 times
Ethan is a familiar baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 300 names. Recently in 2019, 69 babies were given Ethan and it reached its peak ranking, 234 on boy names chart. Over 246 people have been named Ethan in Netherlands. Ethan is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory still in use today. Ethan is a common name in Spain, Canada, England, Australia and China while somewhat familiar name in Malaysia, Kenya, Bangladesh, Taiwan, South Africa, Nigeria, New Zealand, Namibia, Philippines, India, Malawi, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Mexico. According to our research, over 590000 babies have been named Ethan globally.
Ethan in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Ethan?
You want to inspire people to do more in life and thrive to accomplish more. Even if you help people fight their battles, you prefer to fight yours on your own. Love is most important in your life. Nothing escapes your eye, your sense of smell is highly developed, such as your sense of touch. You like to enjoy all the pleasures life has to give such as alcohol, music, food, sex, and sleeping.
Do you like Ethan? Read these names too
- Robin - Loved and Venerable unisex name Robin came from Old High German and Germanic mainly used in Kannada, English and Oriya languages, meaning of Robin is "European Robin, Famed or Glory or Brilliant". On baby girl chart, famous Robin bagged 430th position in 1997 in United States
- Brooklyn - Meaning of Brooklyn is Broken Land or Water is used in English and rooted from English and Dutch is used as a unisex name
- Judith - Ever lasting and Pleasing unisex name Judith means "Judäerin or Praise". Its origin is in Hebrew is used particulary in Faroese and English
- Rita - Rita's meaning is Honest, Child of Light or True is used principally in Sanskrit, Italian and Marathi is a gender-neutral name has its origin in Old Greek
- Allison - Allison's meaning is Alice or Noble or Fight has its origin in German and Germanic aimed at both sexes is used predominantly in Finnish and Scottish
Sibling Names for Ethan
If you're considering naming your baby boy Ethan, you might also be on the hunt for a complementary name for his future sibling. Luckily, there are plenty of names that pair well with Ethan and share similar vibes. Here are some options to consider!
Sister to Ethan
Brother for Ethan
Famous people named Ethan
- Ethan Coen, Category:People from St
- Ethan James, musician, record producer
- Ethan Allen boating accident, 40-foot
- Ethan Leib, law professor at Fordham Law School
- Ethan Allen Andrews, American lexicographer and educator
- Ethan Allen Andrews, American biologist
- Ethan Mordden, American author
- Ethan Kenning, when he led 1960s acid rock band, H. P. Lovecraft
- Ethan A.H. Shepley, chancellor of Washington University in St
- Ethan Paquin, American poet and a native of New Hampshire
- Ethan Stroud, Indian Commissioner on the Texas frontier
- Ethan Vishniac, American astrophysicist
- Ethan Zuckerman, American media scholar, blogger
- Ethan Allen, farmer, businessman, land speculator, philosopher, writer
- Ethan Hawke, American actor, writer, and director
- Ethan Allen Brown, Democratic-Republican politician
- Ethan Allen, major American arms maker from Massachusetts
- Ethan Embry, American film and television actor
- Ethan Zohn, former American professional soccer player
- Ethan Phillips, American actor and playwright
- Ethan A. Hitchcock, served under Presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt as U.S. Secretary of the Interior
- Ethan Canin, American author, educator, and physician
- Ethan Suplee, American film and television actor best
- Ethan Allen, American center fielder in Major League Baseball
- Ethan Albright, former American football long snapper
- Ethan Stiefel, American dancer, choreographer, and director
- Ethan Winthrop, fictional character on the NBC/DirecTV daytime drama 'Passions'
- Ethan Moreau, Canadian former professional ice hockey player
- Ethan Van Sciver, American comics artist,
- Ethan Nadelmann, founder of the Drug Policy Alliance
- Ethan Kelley, former American football defensive tackle He was drafted by the New England Patriots
- Ethan Johns, English record producer, engineer, mixer
- Ethan Luck, American musician, producer
- Ethan A. Hitchcock, career United States Army officer and author
- Ethan Brown, American investigative journalist and author
- Ethan Erickson, American television and film actor and TV host
- Ethan Kilmer, former American football safety of the National Football League
- Ethan Bronner, senior editor at Bloomberg News following 17 years at 'The New York Times'
- Ethan Wayne, American actor
- Ethan Iverson, pianist, composer
- Ethan Wiley, producer, screenwriter and director
- Ethan Berkowitz, American politician
- Ethan Sandler, American actor
- Ethan Strimling, mayor of Portland, Maine
- Ethan Horton, former professional American football tight end
- Ethan Juan, Taiwanese actor and model
- Ethan Fixell, writer and beverage educator from New York City
- Ethan Watts, member of the United States men's national volleyball team that finished in ninth place at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Ethan Laidlaw, American film actor
- Ethan Cutkosky is an American actor known for his role as Carl in the television series Shameless, broadcast by Showtime.
- In 1998, Ethan Hunt played the role of Mel in sci-fi film Virtual Encounters 2.
- Ethan Stone, from 1981 drama, horror film The Territory, who played Ron - young boy.
- Ethan Barker, from comedy film Convenience Man, who characterized Henry.
- In 2004, Ethan Cadoff characterized the role of Michael Adams in drama and horror film The Chest.
- In 2008, Ethan Keogh played the role of Jack Goldwater in action and comedy film Lady Magdalene's.
- Ethan Sharrett, from 2016 comedy and drama film Before the Fall, who portrayed Ben Bennett.
- In 2013, Ethan Bortnick portrayed the role of Nathan in drama and family film Anything Is Possible.
Lists having Ethan
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Heaven
- Baby Names that mean Enduring
- Baby Names that mean Long
- Baby Names that mean Strong