Thomas name meaning
On This Page
What does Thomas mean?
Originated from Aramaic and Hebrew, Popular and Conifer Thomas means "Twin or Gemini" used in German, Danish, Faroese, French, Finnish, Scandinavian, English, Norwegian, Old Norse, Greenlandic, Dutch, Swedish, Aramaic, Icelandic and Tamil is used in general as a gender insensitive name.
Thomas is English cognate of Thomas. Also Thomas is Latin and Greek cognate of Aramaic תָּאוֹמָא = Twin. The name is celebrated on July 3rd or January 28th.
Does Thomas work as a baby name?
Thomas is a popular baby boy name that has been in use for centuries. Its origin can be traced back to the Aramaic language, where it means 'twin.' This name gained popularity after being used as a biblical name of one of Jesus' apostles.
The meaning behind the name also suggests that it might have been given to male twins in earlier times. The name Thomas has become a staple within English-speaking countries and beyond, making it an international classic.
Although some parents may prefer more unique choices, many others will continue to use this traditional moniker for their little ones as it remains timeless and charming.
How do I pronounce Thomas?
The two syllabled name Thomas is pronounced, taw-miss.
Variants of Thomas
Nicknames for Thomas
Check out these nickaname options for given name Thomas:Names that rhyme with Thomas
How popular is the name Thomas?
Thomas was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 2320144 babies have been given the moniker in 276 years. When at its peak in 1880, 48621 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 8th position.
However after 276 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 10 baby names an amazing 58 times Also, Thomas was among the very popular names in England and Wales.
Since emerging in 1996 around 147490 babies have been given the given name. At its zenith in 1998, it ranked 2nd when 9603 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 13 times Also, Thomas is a popular name in Ireland given to over 35268 babies in 56 years.
At its zenith in 1965, it ranked 5th when 1367 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 2 times Also, Thomas was an extremely popular name in France.
Over 277666 babies have been given the moniker in 168 years. At the peak of its usage in 1996, it ranked 1st when 10454 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 168 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 17 times Also, a popular name in Italy having over 21643 recievers in 15 years of usage.
At the peak of its usage in 2018, it ranked 34th when 1677 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Moreover, the name has been to the top 50 baby names 15 times Also, Thomas is a popular in Netherlands where over 2412 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2015, it ranked 12nd when 530 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 5 times Also, Thomas was a popular name in Denmark.
Over 11565 babies have been given the name in 22 years. At its zenith in 1985, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 962 baby boys were given the name. After 22 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 2 times Also, a popular name in Belgium with over 15284 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
When at the peak of its usage in 1995, it ranked 1st when 1157 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 14 times Also, a popular name in New South Wales with over 27433 new-borns have been given the name since 1952.
At its zenith in 2000, it ranked 3rd when 865 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 11 times Also, Thomas was among the popular names in Queensland.
Since emerging in 1960 around 14576 babies have been given the name. When at its peak in 1999, it ranked 3rd when 519 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 60 years. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 11 times Also, Thomas is a popular in Victoria where over 4656 new-borns have been given the name since 2008.
When at its peak in 2008, 522 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 3rd position. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 10 times
Thomas was a common name in Switzerland.
Over 3485 babies have been named Thomas since 1998. When at its peak in 2001,. However after 21 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong.
Also, In Western Australia, Thomas was once a common name since emerging in 1990 it has been given to over 4868 babies. When at the peak of its usage in 2006,.
However after 26 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 8 times
Thomas is a familiar baby name in Sweden during its short run, it been to the top 100 names.
In 1998, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 80 on boy names chart when 92 babies were given the name Thomas. Over 237 people have been named Thomas in Sweden.
In Northern Territory, Thomas is a unique name where it has been in use since 2002 and has secured the place in top 100 names. In 2003, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 2 on boy names chart when 29 babies were named Thomas.
Over 304 people have been named Thomas in Northern Territory.
However things change on global perspective, Thomas is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 100 have the name as well as in, England, India and DR Congo.
Also the baby name is popular in South Africa, Canada, Nigeria, Tanzania, Austria, Kenya, Scotland, Ghana, Cameroon, Uganda, Australia, Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Greece, Zambia, Malawi, Eritrea, Papua New Guinea, Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Norway, Wales, Ethiopia, Chad, Sudan, Malaysia, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Liberia, Rwanda, Burundi, Benin, Madagascar, Mozambique, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Namibia, Philippines, Congo, Egypt, Jamaica, Togo and Burkina Faso.
At least, 6210000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our estimate.
Thomas in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Thomas?
Doing what you are passionate about is the best thing ever, and the only way to feel real joy and happiness. Not everyone wants to change the world as you do. You love to help the people you care for. Your weird habit of enjoying melancholy helps you express more creatively and develop into a better version of yourself. Allow your creativity to take over your mind and just be who you truly are.
If you like Thomas, you would love these names
- Liesbeth - Liesbeth's meaning is My God is Perfect or My God has Sworn came from Hebrew used as a gender insensitive name is used in Dutch and German
- Anoesj has its origin in Hebrew language is a baby girl name dominantly used in Dutch, Anoesj means "Angel, Full of Grace and God has Shown Favour". Anoesj is derived from Anna.
- Odelia - Chiefly used in Hebrew and English long standing and predominant, Odelia is originated from Hebrew and Old High German, meaning of Odelia is "The Word Oide Meaning Song or Wealth" is aimed at girls
- Pluto - Pluto's meaning is Wealth is a boy name and rooted from Old Greek is used in Finnish, English and Dutch
- Wibe means Battle, War or Fight is chiefly used in Frisian, Dutch and Finnish is originated from German is used for both boys and girls
Middle names for Thomas
Possible options for a child named Thomas include these flying high and familiar middle names:
View more middle names that goes with Thomas.
Celebrity Baby News
- Rumer Willis and Derek Richard Thomas Are Expecting Their First Child
It’s a new era for the Willis family! On Wednesday, Rumer Willis, the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, announced that she is expecting her first child with her boyfriend Derek Richard Thomas. The news was met with an outpouring of love and congratulations from fans, friends, and fellow celebrities alike.
Famous people named Thomas
- Thomas Cranmer, leader of the English Reformation and Archbishop of Canterbury during the reigns of Henry VIII
- Thomas Abel, English priest
- Thomas Bowdler, English physician best
- Thomas the Apostle, was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus
- Thomas L. Cleave, surgeon captain
- Thomas Kyd, English playwright
- Thomas Dilworth, English cleric and author of a widely used schoolbook
- Thomas Middleton, English Jacobean playwright and poet
- Thomas Fincke, Danish mathematician and physicist
- Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr, English politician, for whom the bay, the river, and, consequently
- Thomas Cavendish, English explorer and a privateer known as "The Navigator" because he was the first
- Thomas Gresham, English merchant and financier
- Thomas Tollemache, English soldier
- Thomas Baker, English antiquarian
- Thomas Beecham, English conductor and impresario best
- Thomas Banks, important 18th-century English sculptor
- Thomas Chippendale, was born in Otley in the West Riding of Yorkshire
- Thomas Walsingham, English chronicler
- Thomas Holenstein, Swiss politician and member of the Swiss Federal Council
- Thomas Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury in the Church of England
- Thomas Tenison, English church leader
- Thomas Arne, English composer
- Thomas De Quincey, English essayist
- Thomas Fuller, English churchman and historian
- Thomas Sankara, Burkinabé revolutionary, Marxist
- Thomas Corneille, French dramatist
- Thomas Holcroft, English dramatist, miscellanist
- Thomas Kelly Cheyne, English divine and Biblical critic
- Thomas Campion, English composer, poet, and physician
- Thomas Reid, religiously trained British philosopher
- Thomas Hobbes, English philosopher
- Thomas Henry Huxley, English biologist specialising
- Thomas Paine, com/paine
- Thomas Hunt Morgan, American evolutionary biologist, geneticist
- Thomas Lovejoy, Senior Fellow at the United Nations Foundation and University Professor
- Thomas Becket, – 29 December 1170)
- Thomas Joannes Stieltjes, Dutch mathematician
- Thomas Graham, British chemist known for his pioneering work
- Thomas Young, British polymath and physician
- Thomas Szasz, Hungarian-American academic
- Thomas Newcomen, English inventor
- Thomas Johann Seebeck, Baltic German physicist, who, in 1822
- Thomas Midgley Jr., Thomas Midgley Jr
- Thomas Bayes, English statistician
- Thomas Bourchier, medieval English cardinal
- Thomas Bradwardine, English cleric, scholar, mathematician, physicist
- Thomas Gold, Austrian-born astrophysicist
- Thomas Langton, was chaplain to King Edward IV, before becoming successively Bishop of St David's
- Thomas Romney Robinson, 19th-century astronomer and physicist
- Thomas Browne, English polymath and author of varied works which reveal his wide learning
- Thomas Edison, American inventor and businessman
- Thomas Jefferson, American Founding Father
- Thomas Mann, German novelist, short story writer, social critic
- Thomas Gray, English poet, letter-writer, classical scholar
- Thomas More, English lawyer, social philosopher, author
- Thomas Malory, English writer
- Thomas Nast, German-born American caricaturist and editorial cartoonist considered to be the "Father of the American Cartoon"
- Thomas Hare, British proponent of electoral reform
- Thomas Pynchon, Thomas Ruggles Pynchon Jr
- Thomas Brackett Reed, U.S. Representative from Maine
- Thomas Wolsey, English bishop
- Thomas Gainsborough, English portrait and landscape painter
- Thomas Mifflin, American merchant and politician from Philadelphia
- Thomas Vinterberg, Danish film director who
- Thomas McKean, American lawyer and politician
- Thomas R. Marshall, American politician
- Thomas J. Watson, Thomas John Watson Sr
- Thomas Robert Malthus, English cleric and scholar
- Thomas Telford, Scottish civil engineer, architect and stonemason
- Thomas à Kempis, German-Dutch canon regular of the late medieval period and the author of 'The Imitation of Christ'
- Thomas F. Bayard, American lawyer, politician, and diplomat
Lists having Thomas
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with T
- Girls names beginning with T
- Aramaic Baby Names
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (1997)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2000)
- Baby Names that mean Twin