Karl name meaning
On This Page
What does Karl mean?
Celebrated and Venerable unisex name Karl is of Old High German, Old Norse and Germanic origin, meaning of Karl is "Farmer, Free Man or Strong and Masculine" is largely used in English, Finnish, Old Norse, Greenlandic, Danish, Faroese, Scandinavian, Swedish, German, Norwegian and Icelandic languages.
Karl is a form of prominent and perennial Carl. Carl is a form of prominent and evergreen Karl. Also Carl is variant form of Carlin. Carl is also variant of long standing and prevalent Carlisle.
Carl is derived from Charles. Carl means Man, Free Man and Farmer's Settlement is of Gaelic, Irish and Breton origin. Karl is German equivalent of Háriolus. Karl is celebrated on March 2 or November 4.
How do I pronounce Karl?
The proper pronunciation of two syllabled Karl is k(a)-rl.
Variants of Karl
How popular is the name Karl?
Karl is a popular name in United States given to over 100958 babies in 194 years. When at its peak in 1960, 2595 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 135th position.
Additionally, the first name has been in the top 500 baby names an astounding 119 times Karl was a common name in England and Wales. Over 2570 babies have been named Karl since 1996.
At the peak of its usage in 1996,. But after 23 years, the name has lost its appeal a bit and is now ranking low. Also, Karl was a common name in Ireland.
Over 3416 babies have been named Karl since 1970. When at its peak in 1989,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 37 years. Also, In France, Karl was once a common name since emerging in 1912 it has been given to over 9962 babies.
At its zenith in 1970,. However after 86 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong.
Karl is a familiar baby name in New South Wales during its short run, it been to the top 100 names.
In 1974, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 100 on boy names chart when 71 babies were given the name Karl. In Switzerland, Karl is a unique name where it has been in use since 1998 and has secured the place in top 400 names.
Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 339 on boy names chart when 26 babies were named Karl. There are over 217 babies that have been given the name Karl in Switzerland.
Karl is an uncommon baby name in Belgium where it has been in use since 1995 and peaked in 1998 when it ranked 399th. Over 183 babies in Belgium have been named Karl.
The moniker is a rare baby name in New South Wales and may not be used now as it was last seen in 1974. However things change on global perspective, Karl is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 200 have the name as well as in Austria.
Also the baby name is popular in England, Philippines, Canada, Australia and South Africa. At least, 1190000 people globally have been given the name as per our findings.
What numerology tells about Karl?
You are loved by many but when it comes to your personal life, you don't allow anyone to peek. It takes a long time for someone to gain a special place in your heart. You have no enemies. Having number 6 as your expression number says you are responsible and trustworthy. You never take a leap of faith but do things with a plan. Having no 5 as your personality number represents your extraordinary personality and creativity.
Do you like Karl? Other names you would love
- Lakisha - The prevalent unisex name Lakisha is largely used in English and Tamil, Lakisha means "She who Lives or Happy" is of Swahili and English-American origin. In 1984, preeminent name Lakisha managed to bag 434th position on the list of baby girl names in United States
- Marisela - Dominantly used in Spanish and English eminent, Marisela is rooted from Italian, Spanish and Latin, meaning of Marisela is "María or Celia" is used for both boys and girls
- Alva - Used mostly in Faroese, Scandinavian and Swedish unfading and customary, Alva means "Exalted or Brilliance" is a unisex name has its origin in Hebrew and Old Norse
- Carrol - Preeminent and Venerable unisex name Carrol has origin in Germanic, meaning of Carrol is "Song of Joy and Man" is substantially used in Romanian. Carrol is another transcription of Carol.
- Francesca - Meaning of Francesca is Little Frenchwoman or Free Condition used for both sexes used primarily in Italian is originated from Latin and Italian
Famous people named Karl
- Karl Andree, German geographer
- Karl Verner, Danish linguist
- Karl Salomo Zachariae von Lingenthal, father of Karl Eduard Zachariae
- Karl Eduard Zachariae von Lingenthal, eminent German jurist and the son of Karl Salomo Zachariae von Lingenthal
- Karl Gottlob Zumpt, German classical scholar known for his work
- Karl Krumbacher, German scholar
- Karl Friedrich Bahrdt, unorthodox German Protestant biblical scholar
- Karl Schenk, Swiss pastor
- Karl Kobelt, Swiss politician and member of the Swiss Federal Council
- Karl Haushofer, German general, geographer and politician
- Karl Wolfskehl, German Jewish author who wrote poetry
- Karl Schwarz, German Protestant theologian
- Karl Hase, German Protestant theologian and church historian
- Karl Immanuel Nitzsch, German Lutheran church leader
- Karl Rudolf Hagenbach, Swiss church theologian and historian
- Karl Friedrich Eichhorn, German jurist
- Karl Wilhelm Dindorf, German classical scholar
- Karl August von Hardenberg, Prussian statesman and Prime Minister of Prussia
- Karl Lachmann, German philologist and critic
- Karl Wilhelm Ramler, German poet
- Karl Daub, German Protestant theologian
- Karl Rosenkranz, German philosopher and pedagogue
- Karl Ludwig Michelet, German philosopher
- Karl Scheurer, Swiss politician
- Karl Carstens, German politician
- Karl Böhm, Austrian conductor
- Karl August Varnhagen von Ense, German biographer, diplomat and soldier
- Karl Goldmark, Hungarian-born Viennese composer
- Karl von Abel, Bavarian statesman
- Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Prussian architect, city planner
- Karl Maria Wiligut, Austrian Occultist and SS-Brigadeführer
- Karl Josef von Hefele, Roman Catholic bishop and theologian of Germany
- Karl Oskar Medin, Swedish pediatrician
- Karl King, United States march music bandmaster and composer
- Karl Jatho, German pioneer and inventor
- Karl Joseph Simrock, German poet and writer
- Karl Lehrs, German classical scholar
- Karl Popper, Austrian-British philosopher and professor
- Karl Ferdinand Braun, German inventor
- Karl Ernst von Baer, Baltic German scientist and explorer
- Karl Weierstrass, German mathematician often cited as the "father of modern analysis"
- Karl Menger, Austrian-American mathematician
- Karl Schwarzschild, German physicist and astronomer
- Karl Wilhelm Feuerbach, German geometer and the son of legal scholar Paul Johann Anselm Ritter von Feuerbach
- Karl Pearson, English mathematician and biostatistician
- Karl Guthe Jansky, American physicist and radio engineer
- Karl von Frisch, Austrian ethologist
- Karl Barth, Swiss Reformed theologian
- Karl H. Pribram, professor at Georgetown University,
- Karl Jaspers, German-Swiss psychiatrist and philosopher
- Karl Marx, German philosopher, economist, historian
- Karl Dönitz, German admiral
- Karl Benz, German engine designer and automobile engineer
- Karl Gustav Ahlefeldt, Danish film actor
- Karl Böttiger, German archaeologist and classicist
- Karl Amadeus Hartmann, German composer
- Karl Brandt, German physician and 'Schutzstaffel' officer
- Karl Weyprecht, Austro-Hungarian explorer
- Karl Koch, ", after Hagbard Celine
- Karl Renner, Austrian politician of the Socialist Party
- Karl May, German writer best
- Karl Mannheim, Hungarian-born sociologist
- Karl Lagerfeld, living in Paris
Lists having Karl
- Boys names beginning with K
- Girls names beginning with K
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Boy names that starts with Kar
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2005)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1974)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1989)
- Baby Names that mean Farmer
- Baby Names that mean Free
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean Husband
- Baby Names that mean Vigorous
- Baby Names that mean Army