Carl name meaning
On This Page
What does Carl mean?
Meaning of Carl is Place Name, Farmer's Settlement, Man, Husband, Strong, Vigorous or Army came from Breton, Germanic, Irish, Gaelic, Old English and Old High German used as a unisex name is specifically used in Greenlandic, Danish, Norwegian, German, Finnish, Scandinavian, Swedish, English and Icelandic.
Carl is variant form of durable and celebrated Carlisle. Substantially used in English durable and celebrated, Carlisle, meaning of Carlisle is "From the Castle Tower, Carl's Island and From the Walled City" is rooted from Breton.
Carl is a variation of Carlin. Carlin is a variant of famous and perennial Carl. Carlin is English form of Carla. Origin of Loved and Evergreen Carlin is in Gaelic and Irish, meaning of Carlin is "Female Version of Carl and Charles".
Carl is variant form of noteworthy and conifer Karl. Karl is form of durable and renowned Carl. Karl is equivalent of Háriolus in German language. Acclaimed and Conifer Karl came from Old Norse, Old High German and Germanic, meaning of Karl is "Strong and Masculine, Strong and Husband".
Carl is resultant of Charles. Charles is English form of Karl. Also Charles is English and French equivalent of Karl. Trendy and Enduring Charles is originated from Germanic and Old High German, Charles means "Free Man, A Man and Manly".
It is celebrated on March 2 or November 4.
How do I pronounce Carl?
The most common pronunciation of two syllabled Carl is kar-l.
Variants of CarlNames that rhyme with Carl
How popular is the name Carl?
Carl was a very popular name in United States. Over 506230 babies have been given the name in 249 years. At the peak of its usage in 1894, 8304 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 22nd position.
However after 249 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names an amazing 78 times Also, Carl is a popular in Sweden where over 8033 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
At its zenith in 1998, 653 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 21st position. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 11 times
Carl is a common name in England and Wales given to over 2930 babies in 23 years.
At present the name is rising, in 1996, the moniker grabbed the 116th spot and 387 baby boys were given the name. Also, Carl was a common name in France. Over 5038 babies have been named Carl since 1946.
At the peak of its usage in 1974,. After 67 years, the name has past its prime. Also, Carl is common in Denmark where over 5133 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
When at its peak in 2015, the moniker grabbed the 10th spot and 418 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 10 baby names 1 times
Carl is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 1993, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 102 on boy names chart when 54 babies were given the name Carl. Over 1474 people have been named Carl in Ireland.
In Switzerland, Carl is a unique name where it has been in use since 2002 and has secured the place in top 300 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 250 on boy names chart when 37 babies were named Carl.
There are over 245 babies that have been given the name Carl in Switzerland.
Carl is an uncommon baby name in Belgium, its highest ever rank is 510 (1998) in its 15 years run on Belgium naming chart.
Over 144 people have been named Carl in Belgium. But Carl is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 800 have the name as well as in, Canada, Philippines, South Africa, Germany, Haiti, Australia, Ghana, Wales and Norway.
At least, 860000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our findings.
Numerological analysis of Carl
You can become a great leader if you want. The question is how do you want to succeed in life? Lies can be comforting, but you always prefer to hear the ugly truth instead. It's time you realize that your life success and accomplishments don't depend on other people and their opinion of you but on you and your opinion of yourself. You have the heart of a warrior. You are dominant when it comes to relationships.
Do you like Carl? Other names you would love
- Mack means Son is of Gaelic and Latin origin, predominantly used in English and Scandinavian is given to both sexes. In 1968, dominant name Mack bagged 499th position on baby boy chart in United States
- Denise - Renowned and Evergreen unisex name Denise is majorly used in English and Finnish. It is rooted from Old Greek, Denise means "God of the Vine, God of Wine or To Advise"
- Asher means Son of Jacob, Fortunate or Lucky is originated from Hebrew and Old English bestowed upon both genders is used especially in Hindi and Marathi
- Billy - Pleasing and Ceaseless Germanic and Old High German Billy is used especially in English, German and Norwegian, meaning of Billy is "Resolute Guardian or Will Helmet" is a gender insensitive name
- Minnie - Minnie's meaning is Protection, Offered to the Lord or Helmet is predominantly used in Swedish, Danish and Finnish that of Hebrew and Latin origin is a gender insensitive name
Sibling Names for Carl
If you're considering the name Carl for your baby, you may be interested in exploring sibling names that complement it. Here are some suggestions for girl and boy names that pair well with Carl and create a harmonious sibling set.
Sister to Carl
Brother for Carl
Famous people named Carl
- Carl Meinhof, German linguist and one of the first linguists to study African languages
- Carl Friedrich Abel, German composer of the Classical era
- Carl Maria von Weber, German composer, conductor, pianist
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, German Classical period musician and composer
- Carl Oscar Borg, Swedish-born painter
- Carl Wilhelm Wirtz, astronomer
- Carl Fredrik Hill, Swedish painter
- Carl Loewe, German composer, tenor singer and conductor
- Carl Schuricht, German conductor
- Carl Auer von Welsbach, Austrian scientist and inventor,
- Carl Stamitz, German composer of partial Czech ancestry
- Carl Gustaf Nordin, Swedish statesman, historian and ecclesiastic
- Carl Gyllenhielm, Swedish soldier and politician
- Carl Gräbe, German industrial and academic chemist
- Carl Thompson, luthier and musician specializing
- Carl Hilty, Swiss philosopher, writer and lawyer
- Carl Flesch, violinist and teacher
- Carl Jonas Love Almqvist, was a romantic poet, early feminist, realist
- Carl Jacobsen, Danish brewer, art collector and philanthropist
- Carl Rakosi, last surviving member of the original group of poets
- Carl Heinrich Graun, German composer and tenor singer
- Carl Christian Rafn, Danish historian, translator and antiquarian
- Carl Ritter, German geographer
- Carl Strandlund, Swedish-born American inventor and entrepreneur
- Carl Diem, German sports administrator
- Carl Hindenburg, German mathematician born in Dresden
- Carl Theodor Zahle, prime minister
- Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf, Austrian composer, violinist and silvologist
- Carl Linnaeus, Swedish botanist, physician, and zoologist
- Carl Friedrich Gauss, German mathematician and physicist
- Carl Sagan, American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist
- Carl Rogers, American psychologist and among the founders of the humanistic approach to psychology
- Carl Woese, American microbiologist and biophysicist
- Carl Jung, Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst
- Carl Wilhelm Scheele, Swedish Pomeranian and German pharmaceutical chemist
- Carl Bosch, German chemist and engineer and Nobel Laureate
- Carl Zeiss, German scientific instrument maker
- Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi, German mathematician,
- Carl Adam Petri, German mathematician and computer scientist
- Carl Wieman, American physicist and educationist at Stanford University
- Carl Ferdinand Cori, Czech-American biochemist and pharmacologist
- Carl Nägeli, Swiss botanist
- Carl Sassenrath, architect of operating systems and computer languages
- Carl Hellmuth Hertz, German physicist known primarily for being involved
- Carl David Anderson, American physicist
- Carl F. H. Henry, American evangelical Christian theologian
- Carl Schmitt, conservative German jurist and political theorist
- Carl Wilhelm Borchardt, German mathematician
- Carl Stumpf, German philosopher and psychologist
- Carl Emil Schorske, American cultural historian and professor emeritus at Princeton University
- Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian general and military theorist
- Carl Menger, Austrian economist and the founder of the Austrian School of economics
- Carl Barks, American cartoonist, author, and painter
- Carl Sandburg, American poet, writer, and editor
- Carl Bildt, Swedish politician and diplomat
- Carl Orff, German composer
- Carl Lewis, American former track and field athlete
- Carl von Ossietzky, German pacifist and the recipient of the 1935 Nobel Peace Prize for his work
- Carl Hiaasen, American writer
- Carl Yastrzemski, baseball biography
- Carl Larsson, Swedish painter representative of the Arts and Crafts movement
- Carl Michael Bellman, Swedish songwriter, composer, musician
- Carl Nielsen, Danish musician, conductor and violinist
- Carl Perkins, American singer-songwriter
- Carl McCall, American politician of the Democratic Party
- Carl Wilhelm Siemens, German-born engineer and entrepreneur
- Carl Reiner, American comedian, actor, director
- Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, King of Sweden
- Carl Koch, German film director and writer with many secondary credits including collaborations with his wife Lotte Reiniger
- Carl Crack, Swazi-born German techno artist best
- Carl W. Stalling, American composer and arranger for music
- Carl Czerny, Austrian composer, teacher
Lists having Carl
- Boys names beginning with C
- Girls names beginning with C
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Gaelic Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Girl names that starts with Carl
- Popular Boy Names in United States (1979)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1989)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (1985)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Place
- Baby Names that mean Farmer
- Baby Names that mean Settlement
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Free
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean Vigorous
- Baby Names that mean Army