Charles name meaning
On This Page
What does Charles mean?
The name Charles is of French origin and means "free man" or "manly". It was introduced to England by the Normans and was popular among the royalty during the medieval period. The name has been used by several Saints and popes, as well as kings of France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, and Denmark.
Notable people with the name include Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Charlie Chaplin, and Prince Charles.
Choosing a baby name is one of the most exciting and challenging tasks parents face. There are so many factors to consider! But if you're looking for a strong, classic name with royal ties, Charles is definitely a top contender.
Is the name Charles suitable for a newborn?
Charles is a classic and timeless name that has been popular for centuries. It has a strong and regal sound, which makes it perfect for parents who are looking for a traditional name with a touch of sophistication.
One of the main attractive features of Charles is its versatility as it can be shortened to Chuck, Charlie or Chaz, giving parents options when choosing a nickname for their little one.
Charles also carries an air of refinement and intelligence, which can make it an excellent choice for parents who want their child to have an influential and successful future. Overall, Charles is a name that exudes confidence and character, making it ideal for parents who want their baby boy to have a commanding presence from birth onward.
How do I pronounce Charles?
The proper pronunciation of three syllabled Charles is char-ul-z.
Variants of Charles
Nicknames for Charles
If you're looking for a nickname, there is a Ton that works with the name Charles. Some of these are:
How popular is the name Charles?
Charles was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 2404958 babies have been given the moniker. When at its peak in 1880, 40771 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 4th position.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 277 years but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 5 baby names 37 times Also, Charles was among the popular names in England and Wales.
Since emerging in 1996 around 29672 babies have been given the moniker. At its zenith in 1998, 1868 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 41st position. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 11 times Also, Charles was among the very popular names in France. Since emerging in 1900 around 240382 babies have been given the moniker.
At the peak of its usage in 1900, it ranked 11st when 5269 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 163 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 49 times
Charles was a common name in Ireland. Over 3532 babies have been named Charles since 1964. When at its peak in 1964,.
However after 56 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Also, In Belgium, Charles was once a common name since emerging in 1995 it has been given to over 2209 babies.
At its zenith in 2017,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 24 years. Also, Charles is a common name in New South Wales given to over 5171 babies in 49 years.
At present the name is rising, in 1952, 149 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 57th position. Also, Charles used to be a common name in Victoria, first appeared in 2008 and over 1055 babies have been given the name in 12 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2008,. However after 12 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Charles is a familiar baby name in Queensland, it has been in use since 1960 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
Recently in 2016, 98 babies were given Charles and it reached its peak ranking, 66 on boy names chart. There are over 1558 babies that have been given the name Charles in Queensland.
Charles is a unique baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 280 on boy names chart when 32 babies were named Charles.
Over 382 babies in Switzerland have been named Charles. Also, in Netherlands, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 600 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 542 on boy names chart when 26 babies were named Charles.
Charles is a rare baby name in Netherlands still in use today. However things change on global perspective, Charles is extremely popular in Uganda where every 1 in 100 have the name as well as in, Tanzania, DR Congo, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, England and Zambia.
Also the baby name is popular in Malawi, Brazil, Canada, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, South Africa, Cameroon, Haiti, Sudan, Burundi, Philippines, Madagascar, Mozambique, Chad, Scotland, Indonesia, Central African Republic, Sierra Leone, Jamaica, Malaysia, Benin, Togo, Australia, Liberia, India, Congo, Ivory Coast, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea, Guinea, Ethiopia, Angola, Bahamas, Burkina Faso and Peru.
According to our findings, at least 4790000 people have been bestowed Charles around the globe.
Charles in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Charles?
You are hard-working by nature and success drives you. You have a restless spirit and booming energy. Playing with words and using metaphors to confuse people is your specialty. You have to think of your own purpose and reason for waking up in the morning. You can't imagine yourself tied to one person for the rest of your life. Your heart is as big as a mountain. Changes don't represent a problem for you. On the contrary, you are all about change.
Looking for names similar to Charles? Please go through the following names
- Justin - Widely Accepted and Conifer Justin has its origin in Latin, Justin means "Judicious or Upright" used in Finnish, Hindi and Tamil is a unisex name . In 2018, admired Justin ranked 141 on the list of baby boy names in United States
- Dewey - Trendy and Conifer Dewey is originated from Hebrew, Dewey means "Form of David or Prized", prevalently used in Welsh and English is used as a gender-neutral name
- Garrett - Meaning of Garrett is Hardy or Powerful with the Spear came from Germanic and Irish prevalently used in English and Irish is used as a gender-neutral name
- Sophia - Celebrated and Enduring Sophias origin is Old Greek is used commonly in Norwegian and Italian bestowed upon both boys and girls, meaning of Sophia is "Skill or Wisdom"
- Gladys means Country or Disabled is substantially used in Welsh, Swedish and Norwegian and is used for both sexes is rooted from Celtic and Old Welsh
Middle names for Charles
Here is a list of all the rage and widely-accepted middle names that go with the baby name Charles.
View more middle names that goes with Charles.
Sibling Names for Charles
Charles, a timeless name that exudes sophistication and elegance, has been a popular choice among parents for centuries. If you are considering naming your baby boy Charles, why not pair it with a sibling name that complements it perfectly? Here are some options to consider.
For a sister
Brother for Charles
Famous people named Charles
- Charles Baxter, American novelist, essayist, and poet
- Charles d'Abancour, French statesman, minister to Louis XVI
- Charles Goren, American bridge player and writer
- Charles Badham, English classical philologist, textual critic
- Charles Hapgood, American college professor and author
- Charles Gounod, French composer, best
- Charles Townley, wealthy English country gentleman
- Charles Bannister, English actor, comedian and singer
- Charles Jean Marie Barbaroux, French politician of the Revolutionary period and Freemason
- Charles Waterton, English naturalist and explorer
- Charles Longley, bishop in the Church of England
- Charles Tournemire, French composer and organist
- Charles Barrois, French geologist and palaeontologist
- Charles Annibal Fabrot, French jurisconsult
- Charles E. Silberman, American journalist and author
- Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, The Hon
- Charles Connell, Canadian politician
- Charles de Rémusat, French politician and writer
- Charles McCarron, United States Tin Pan Alley composer and lyricist
- Charles Percier, neoclassical French architect
- Charles Christie, motion picture studio owner
- Charles Hallé, Anglo-German pianist and conductor
- Charles Dupuy, French statesman, three times prime minister
- Charles de Sainte-Maure, duc de Montausier, French military man and,
- Charles Auguste Désiré Filon, French historian
- Charles W. Chesnutt, African-American author, essayist
- Charles William King, British Victorian writer and collector of gems
- Charles Cowden Clarke, English author and Shakespearian scholar, was
- Charles Sibley, American ornithologist and molecular biologist
- Charles Babbage, English polymath
- Charles Sanders Peirce, American philosopher, logician, mathematician
- Charles Edward Jones, United States Air Force officer
- Charles Messier, French astronomer most notable for publishing an astronomical catalogue consisting of 110 nebulae and star clusters
- Charles Lyell, Scottish geologist
- Charles F. Hockett, American linguist
- Charles Lane Poor, American astronomy professor
- Charles K. Kao, physicist and electrical engineer
- Charles Best, Canadian medical scientist and one of the co-discoverers of insulin
- Charles Wheatstone, English scientist and inventor of many scientific breakthroughs of the Victorian era
- Charles Piazzi Smyth, English astronomer
- Charles Hatchett, British chemist who discovered the element niobium
- Charles W. Morris, American semiotician and philosopher
- Charles Manners-Sutton, bishop in the Church of England
- Charles James Blomfield, British divine and classicist
- Charles Coughlin, Canadian-American Roman Catholic priest based
- Charles Bernard Renouvier, French philosopher
- Charles R. Drew, American physician, surgeon
- Charles Mason, English astronomer
- Charles Bonnet, Genevan naturalist and philosophical writer
- Charles Geschke, American businessman
- Charles Baudelaire, French poet
- Charles Dickens, English writer and social critic
- Charles Tupper, Canadian father of Confederation: as the Premier of Nova Scotia
- Charles Robert Malden, nineteenth-century British naval officer
- Charles Ancillon, French jurist and diplomat
- Charles Farrar Browne,
- Charles Proteus Steinmetz, German-born American mathematician and electrical engineer and professor at Union College
- Charles Martel, Frankish statesman and military leader
- Charles Williams, British poet, novelist, playwright, theologian
- Charles McCarry, American writer, primarily of spy fiction
- Charles Alston, African-American painter, sculptor, illustrator
- Charles Evers, American civil rights activist and former politician
- Charles I of England, monarch over the three kingdoms of England
- Charles Evans Hughes, Charles Evans Hughes Sr
- Charles Mingus, Charles Mingus Jr
- Charles C. Krulak, retired United States Marine Corps officer
- Charles XIV John of Sweden, was King of Sweden and King of Norway
- Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia and the first King of Bohemia to also become Holy Roman Emperor
- Charles Pierce, was one of the 20th century's foremost female impersonators
- Charles I of Anjou, member of the royal Capetian dynasty and the founder of the second House of Anjou
- Charles XV of Sweden, ; Swedish: 'Karl XV' and Norwegian: 'Karl IV' was King of Sweden and Norway
Lists having Charles
- Boys names beginning with C
- Girls names beginning with C
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Girl names that starts with Charl
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2009)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2007)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2017)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Manly
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean Free
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Full
- Baby Names that mean Husband
- Baby Names that mean Vigorous
- Baby Names that mean Army