Matthew name meaning
On This Page
What does Matthew mean?
Matthew means Gift of the Lord or Gift of Yahweh is used as a gender-neutral name and is particulary used in Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and English is of Hebrew origin. Matthew is English equivalent of Matthæus.
Customary and All time favorite Matthew is originated from Hebrew language, Matthew means "Gift of the Lord, Gift of God and Bear and Gift of God". Matthew is English equivalent of Matthæus.
Matthew is celebrated on September 21st.
Could Matthew be an appropriate name for your new bundle of joy?
Matthew is a timeless and enduring name for baby boys that exudes strength, charm, and charisma. It carries a rich history and has been popular for generations due to its religious connotations.
Parents who choose this name for their little ones are usually drawn to its uniqueness and the fact that it's not overly common. Matthew easily lends itself to several endearing nicknames such as Matt, Matty or even Mateo in Spanish-speaking countries.
The name is renowned for embodying qualities like wisdom, intelligence, and generosity - attributes most parents would want their children to possess. Overall, Matthew is an excellent choice for parents looking for a strong yet sophisticated name with a touch of spirituality.
How do I pronounce Matthew?
You can pronounce the two syllabled name Matthew as m(a)-tthew.
Variants of Matthew
Nicknames for Matthew
If you're looking for a nickname, there is a Plenty that works with the the given name Matthew. Some of these are:
How popular is the name Matthew?
Matthew was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 1605766 babies have been named Matthew since 1880. At its zenith in 1995, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 50207 baby boys were given the name.
However after 214 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 26 times Also, Matthew was a very popular name in England and Wales.
Over 78116 babies have been given the first name in 23 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1996, 7443 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 6th position.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but still going strong on charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 6 times Also, Matthew was a popular name in New South Wales.
Over 48915 babies have been named Matthew since 1957. At the peak of its usage in 1982, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 1583 baby boys were given the name.
However after 62 years, the name is on free fall on the charts. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 27 times Also, Matthew was a popular name in Queensland.
Over 23583 babies have been named Matthew since 1960. At its zenith in 1981, it ranked 1st when 888 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 60 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 27 times
Matthew is common in Ireland where over 11429 new-borns have been given the name since 1964.
Currently the moniker is on a rise, in 2007, it ranked 15th when 430 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, In France, Matthew was once a common name since emerging in 1956 it has been given to over 4072 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2016,. However after 58 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Matthew was a common name in Western Australia.
Over 9895 babies have been named Matthew since 1972. When at the peak of its usage in 1985,. After 34 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 27 times Also, Matthew used to be a common name in Victoria, first appeared in 2008 and over 1584 babies have been given the name in 12 years.
At its zenith in 2008,. However after 12 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Matthew is a familiar baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2013, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 171 on boy names chart when 72 babies were given the name Matthew. Over 1154 babies in Belgium have been named Matthew.
The moniker is a unique baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 2014, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 288 on boy names chart when 29 babies were named Matthew.
Over 370 babies in Switzerland have been named Matthew. Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 400 names. Recently in 2016, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 320 on boy names chart when 49 babies were named Matthew.
There are over 197 babies that have been given the name Matthew in Netherlands.
Matthew is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory where it may not be used now since it isn't seen since 2008.
However things change on global perspective, Matthew is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 300 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Nigeria, Australia, Canada, Ghana, Wales, South Africa, Liberia, Scotland, New Zealand, Sierra Leone and Zimbabwe.
At least, 1780000 people globally have carried Matthew as their given name according to our research.
Matthew in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Matthew?
You remind people that life is for you to live it, and not survive, something many do these days. You need to communicate with people in order to expand your knowledge and widen your perspective. You have the heart of a warrior. Finding a way to express those hidden emotions you keep inside is the key to be content. You are also a great storyteller and always share the best experiences. You have a quick mind.
Looking for names similar to Matthew? Please go through the following names
- Walter - Meaning of Walter is To Govern or Loved, Commander of the Army or Powerful Warrior has its origin in Old High German and Germanic is a gender insensitive name is used mostly in Danish, French and Finnish. In 2018, dominant Walter ranked 271 on the list of baby boy names in United States
- Alyssa - Used substantially in Danish, Swedish and Hebrew hot and lofty, Alyssa has origin in Hebrew, Old High German and Germanic and is aimed at both genders, Alyssa means "Joy, German or Noble Sort"
- Shawn - Meaning of Shawn is Present or Variant of John from Sean used for both sexes has its origin in Hebrew is mostly used in Finnish and Tamil
- Nannie - The widely accepted and classic unisex name Nannie has origin in Hebrew and English, Nannie means "He (God) Was Gracious" is majorly used in English and Swedish
- Nathaniel - Of Hebrew origin, Admired and Conifer Nathaniel means "Gift of God or God has Given Gift from God" and is used specifically in English and Norwegian is a gender insensitive name
Famous people named Matthew
- Matthew the Apostle, was, according to the Christian Bible
- Matthew of Kraków, renowned German-Polish scholar and priest of the fourteenth century
- Matthew George Easton, Scottish minister and writer
- Matthew Paris, Benedictine monk, English chronicler, artist
- Matthew Cook, mathematician and computer scientist
- Matthew Parker, was Archbishop of Canterbury
- Matthew Newcomen, English nonconformist churchman
- Matthew Hopkins, English witch-hunter whose career flourished during the English Civil War
- Matthew Davenport Hill, English lawyer and penologist
- Matthew J. Bruccoli, American professor of English at the University of South Carolina
- Matthew Leydt, first graduate of Queen's College in New Brunswick
- Matthew Prior, English poet and diplomat
- Matthew Tindal, eminent English deist author
- Matthew Robinson, 2nd Baron Rokeby, English landowner, politician and nobleman
- Matthew Bloxam, Warwickshire antiquary and amateur archeologist
- Matthew Stewart, Scottish mathematician and minister of the Church of Scotland
- Matthew Griswold, 17th Governor of Connecticut from 1784 to 1786
- Matthew Tilghman, American planter and Revolutionary leader
- Matthew Whitworth-Aylmer, 5th Baron Aylmer, British military officer and colonial administrator
- Matthew McDaniel, American indigenous rights activist, from Oregon
- Matthew Kneale, British writer
- Matthew Birir, former athlete from Kenya
- Matthew Green, British poet born of Nonconformist parents
- Matthew Beard, Matthew Beard Jr
- Matthew Locke, general during the American Revolutionary War
- Matthew Poole, English Nonconformist theologian
- Matthew Brimson, former English cricketer
- Matthew Turner, a Liverpool physician
- Matthew Locke, English Baroque composer and music theorist
- Matthew Forster Heddle, FRSE was Scottish physician and amateur mineralogist active through the 19th century
- Matthew Laird, Canadian academic, activist and politician
- Matthew Decker, English merchant
- Matthew James Higgins, title of his first magazine article
- Matthew Hall, Canadian figure skater
- Matthew Smith,
- Matthew R. Sutherland, (born July 18, 1894 in Griswood, Manitoba;
- Matthew Fitt, Scots poet and novelist
- Matthew Kauffman, American investigative journalist and two-time Pulitzer Prize finalist
- Matthew O'Conor, Irish historian
- Matthew Cooke, Irish immigrant to the United States
- Matthew Digby Wyatt, British architect and art historian
- Matthew Luckiesh, physicist and
- Matthew Hutton, was archbishop of York from 1595 to 1606
- Matthew Goldstein, is formerly the chancellor of The City University of New York
- Matthew Stanbridge, (1876 – May 20, 1939
- Matthew Ketcher, #REDIRECT Columbine High School massacre#11:29 a
- Matthew Scully, American author, journalist, and speechwriter
- Matthew Fox, American priest and theologian
- Matthew Meselson, geneticist and molecular biologist currently at Harvard University
- Matthew J. Holman, Smithsonian Astrophysicist and lecturer at Harvard University
- Matthew F. Hale, American white supremacist
- Matthew Shepard, American student at the University of Wyoming
- Matthew Arnold, English poet and cultural critic
Lists having Matthew
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Mat
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2008)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (2004)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Gift
- Baby Names that mean Lord
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Bear
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh