Anthony name meaning
What does Anthony mean?
The name Anthony is of English origin. The meaning of Anthony is "priceless one". It is derived from the Latin Antonius, which was a family name. The name was popularized by the 13th-century Saint Anthony of Padua.
The name has been used in England since the 12th century. It was first used in the form Antonius, which was the Latin form of the name. The Normans introduced the French form Antoine into England.
The name Anthony has been used by a number of notable people throughout history, including saints, popes, and kings. Some well-known people with the name Anthony include:
-Saint Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), a doctor of the Church and one of the most famous Franciscan friars
When it comes to choosing a baby name, there are many factors to consider. But if you're looking for a strong, traditional name with a lot of meaning, Anthony is a great choice. Anthony has been around for centuries and has been associated with some of the most important moments in history. Plus, it's a popular name that's sure to stand the test of time. So if you're looking for a classic baby name with a lot of meaning, Anthony is a great option.
How is Anthony seen as a baby name?
Anthony is a popular name for baby boys and has been used for centuries. It has a classic sound to it and is associated with qualities such as strength, bravery, and wisdom. Parents who choose this name often want their son to stand out and be known as an individual who possesses unique characteristics. Anthony is also a versatile name that can be shortened to nicknames like Tony or Ant, giving the child more options as they grow up. Additionally, the meaning of Anthony in Latin translates to "priceless one", which adds an extra layer of significance to the name's popularity. Overall, Anthony is a beloved name with great historical significance that continues to remain relevant today.
How do I pronounce Anthony?
The three syllabled name Anthony is pronounced, an-thuh-nee. It can also be pronounced as an-tuh-nee.
Variants of Anthony
Antonius, Akoni, Tonio, Briananthony, Anthonyjames, Brian, Anton, Antoine, Anaton, Anthonius
Nicknames for Anthony
Ton of nicknames available for the baby name Anthony include:
How popular is the name Anthony?
Anthony was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 1447698 babies have been named Anthony since 1880. At its zenith in 2007, the moniker grabbed the 7th spot and 25074 baby boys were given the name. However after 250 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 6 times Also, Anthony was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 12114 babies have been given the first name in 23 years. When at its peak in 1996, it ranked 65th when 1045 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 8 times Also, Anthony was among the popular names in Ireland. Since emerging in 1964 around 16995 babies have been given the moniker. At its zenith in 1964, the moniker grabbed the 12nd spot and 663 baby boys were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 56 years. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 34 times Also, Anthony was a very popular name in France. Over 173114 babies have been given the name in 82 years. When at the peak of its usage in 1988, 9088 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 4th position. However after 82 years, the name is on free fall on the charts. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 2 times Also, a popular name in New South Wales having over 32039 recievers in 66 years of usage. At the peak of its usage in 1968, the moniker grabbed the 8th spot and 1107 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 10 baby names 11 times
Anthony used to be a common name in Switzerland, first appeared in 1998 and over 1135 babies have been given the name in 21 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2001,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 21 years. Also, In Belgium, Anthony was once a common name since emerging in 1995 it has been given to over 3871 babies. At its zenith in 1995,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 24 years. Also, Anthony used to be a common name in Queensland, first appeared in 1960 and over 11156 babies have been given the name in 47 years. At its zenith in 1965,. After 47 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Anthony is a familiar baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 300 names. In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 299 on boy names chart when 54 babies were given the name Anthony. There are over 212 babies that have been given the name Anthony in Netherlands. Also, in Victoria, in just 6 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. In 2008, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 75 on boy names chart when 95 babies were given the name Anthony. Over 468 babies in Victoria have been named Anthony.
However things change on global perspective, Anthony is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 200 have the name as well as in, Nigeria and Philippines. Also the baby name is popular in Ghana, Uganda, Kenya, Australia, South Africa, Tanzania, Canada, India, Sudan, Wales, Malawi, Malaysia, Zambia, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Madagascar, Venezuela, Sri Lanka, Scotland, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, Jamaica, Cameroon, Indonesia, New Zealand and Mozambique. According to our findings, at least 2730000 people have been bestowed Anthony around the globe.
Anthony in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Anthony
You have a sharp mind and focus. You are always excited about new beginnings, challenges, unexpected problems and complex situations that require thinking outside the box and finding a creative solution. Unrestricted lifestyle is your mark. You are inspiring and have a strong charisma. Romantic relationships are definitely not your thing. You are often taken as crazy because of your fearlessness and courageous acts you take to achieve your aspirations.
If you like Anthony, you would love these names
- Tertia - Atypical Tertia substantially is used in Swedish, Danish and English is a baby girl name that came from Latin, meaning of Tertia is "Third"
- Cyprienne - The Cyprienne is originated from Latin, Cyprienne means "Native to Cyprus"
- Venanzio - Of Latin origin, Venanzio is specifically used in Italian, Venanzio means "Hunter or Venari" is used for baby boys
- Carina means The Word Carino Which is of the Meaning Pretty Cute, Keel of a Ship or Pure is of Italian and Latin origin and a unisex name is used majorly in Danish, German and Scandinavian
- Savya - Unexpected choice and Modernistic Latin Savya is used majorly in Kannada and Marathi, meaning of Savya is "Perfect or Lord Vishnu" is given to both sexes
Sibling Names for Anthony
If you're considering the name Anthony for your baby, you might be looking for sibling names that complement it well. Whether you prefer traditional or modern names, here are some ideas to inspire you and help you find the perfect sibling names for your little one.
Sister for Anthony
For a brother
Famous people named Anthony
- Anthony the Great, Christian monk from Egypt
- Anthony of Padua, Portuguese Catholic priest and friar of the Franciscan Order
- Anthony van Hoboken, musical collector, bibliographer, and musicologist
- Anthony of Sourozh, was best known as a writer and broadcaster on prayer and the Christian life
- Anthony St Leger, English politician and Lord Deputy of Ireland during the Tudor period
- Anthony Munday, English playwright and miscellaneous writer
- Anthony Traill, provost of Trinity College, Dublin
- Anthony Van Egmond,
- Anthony Maglica, owner and founder of Mag Instrument Inc
- Anthony Lacen, jazz tubist and band leader
- Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury, English politician, philosopher and writer
- Anthony Davis, American pianist and composer
- Anthony Tether, served as Director of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- Anthony Denny, confidant of King Henry VIII of England
- Anthony Heinrich, first "full-time" American composer
- Anthony St Leger, successful soldier
- Anthony Maria Zaccaria, early leader of the Counter Reformation
- Anthony Nutting, British diplomat and Conservative Party politician
- Anthony Collett, author and writer on natural history subjects and was nature correspondent for 'The Times' during the 1910s and 1920s
- Anthony Herrera, American actor
- Anthony Gilbert, cousin of actor-screenwriter Miles Malleson
- Anthony Salz, British solicitor
- Anthony Walton, former New Zealand political party president
- Anthony John Clark, founder of applying molecular technology to farm animals
- Anthony Hecht, American poet
- Anthony O. Calabrese Jr., Anthony Orlando Calabrese Jr
- Anthony Daly, native of Rahruddy, a townland west of Loughrea
- Anthony Duane, Protestant Irish immigrant to New York
- Anthony Holborne, same as the composer
- Anthony Winkler Prins, Dutch writer
- Anthony A. Hoekema, Calvinist minister and theologian
- Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland, Scottish nobleman and English politician
- Anthony Babington, English nobleman convicted of plotting the assassination of Elizabeth I of England and conspiring with the imprisoned Mary
- Anthony Bertram, British novelist and art historian
- Anthony Mason, Australian judge
- Anthony Thwaite, English poet and critic
- Anthony Holden, English writer, broadcaster and critic, particularly known as a biographer of artists including Shakespeare, Tchaikovsky, Leigh Hunt, Lorenzo da Ponte and Laurence Olivier
- Anthony Green, English realist painter and printmaker best
- Anthony Collins, English philosopher, and a proponent of deism
- Anthony Kenny, English philosopher whose interests lie
- Anthony Giddens, British sociologist
- Anthony Traill, linguist
- Anthony W. England, American, former NASA astronaut
- Anthony James Leggett, Leggett is widely recognised as a world leader
- Anthony Panizzi, naturalised British librarian of Italian birth and an Italian patriot
- Anthony O'Regan, Irish prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Anthony Bevilacqua, American cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Anthony Francis Lucas, American Croatian-born oil explorer
- Anthony S. Fauci, American immunologist
- Anthony David, FMedSci is Professor of cognitive neuropsychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry
- Anthony Hopkins, Welsh actor, director, and producer
- Anthony of Saxony, King of Saxony from the House of Wettin
- Anthony Quinn, Mexican actor, painter and writer
- Anthony Zinni, former United States Marine Corps general and a former Commander
- Anthony Burgess, English writer and composer
- Anthony Fokker, Dutch aviation pioneer and aircraft manufacturer
- Anthony Trollope, English novelist of the Victorian era
- Anthony Wayne, United States Army officer and statesman
- Anthony Berry, British politician
- Anthony Franciosa, American film, TV and stage actor
- Anthony Shaffer, English playwright, screenwriter, novelist
- Anthony Perkins, American actor and singer
Lists having Anthony
- Boys names beginning with A
- Girls names beginning with A
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Ant
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2003)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2009)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2001)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2004)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2006)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2014)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Praiseworthy
- Baby Names that mean Priceless
- Baby Names that mean Inestimable
- Baby Names that mean Flower
- Baby Names that mean Flourishing
- Baby Names that mean Invaluable
- Baby Names that mean Beyond
- Baby Names that mean Price