Freya name meaning
On This Page
What does Freya mean?
The name Freya is of Norse origin, and means "lady." It was borne by the goddess Freya in Norse mythology. She was the goddess of love and beauty, and also associated with war and death.
The name was introduced to England by the Scandinavians in the 8th century. It has been used in England since the 16th century.
The name Freya is used extensively in Scandinavia, particularly in Sweden where it ranks amongst the top 50 names for girls.
In England it is less common, but has been steadily gaining popularity over recent years, currently sitting just outside the top 1000 names for girls.
If you're looking for a beautiful baby name with a strong meaning attached, Freya could be perfect for you!
There are many famous people named Freya, including:
-Freya the goddess of love, beauty, fertility, and war in Norse mythology
-Freya Stark, an English explorer and travel writer
-Freya Churchill, one of the first female Photojournalists
-Freya Hasanthi, a Sri Lankan surgeon and author
-Freya Roy, an Indian environmental activist
Freya is a lovely name for a baby girl, and it has many positive connotations.
First and foremost, Freya is the name of the goddess of love, beauty, and fertility in Norse mythology. She is also associated with gold and precious possessions. What's more, Freya is a popular given name in Scandinavia as well as Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and other German-speaking countries.
If you are looking for a beautiful and unique name for your daughter that has meaning and history behind it, then Freya might be the perfect choice for you.
How do I pronounce Freya?
One syllabled Freya is pronounced as FRAY-ah. There should be emphasis on first FRAY syllable while speaking. The other ways to say the name are fray-ah or fray-uh.
Variants of Freya
Nicknames for Freya
From plateful of nicknames for given name Freya, we love these names:Names that rhyme with Freya
How popular is the name Freya?
a popular name in United States having over 6911 recievers in 75 years of usage. Currently the name is hotter than ever, it ranked 266th when 1231 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
In addition to that, the name has been in the top 500 baby names 4 times Also, Freya was among the popular names in England and Wales. Since emerging in 1996 around 37954 babies have been given the name.
When at its peak in 2018, the moniker grabbed the 18th spot and 2619 baby girls were given the name. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 17 times
Freya is common in Ireland where over 2087 new-borns have been given the name since 1987.
When at its peak in 2019, 209 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 22nd position. Also, A common name in New South Wales having over 399 recievers in 4 years of usage.
At present the name is rising, in 2019, it ranked 49th when 131 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Freya is common in Victoria where over 242 new-borns have been given the name since 2017.
Recently the name is rising, in 2019, 106 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 58th position.
Freya is a familiar baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2001, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 174 on girl names chart when 60 babies were given the name Freya. Over 519 babies in Belgium have been named Freya.
Also, in Queensland, in just 4 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2019, 91 babies were given Freya and it reached its peak ranking, 53 on girl names chart.
There are over 309 babies that have been given the name Freya in Queensland.
In France, Freya is a unique name where it has been in use since 1996 and has secured the place in top 2000 names.
Recently in 2018, it ranked 1077th when 39 girls were named Freya. There are over 194 babies that have been given the name Freya in France. Also, in Netherlands, in just 3 years, it has made it to the top 300 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 276 on girl names chart when 50 babies were named Freya. Over 105 babies in Netherlands have been named Freya. Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 44 on girl names chart when 42 babies were named Freya.
Freya is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, even after 21 years of use, it could not make it big.
Over 163 babies in Switzerland have been named Freya. The name is a rare baby name in Western Australia however it is still in use. Freya is a common name in Germany and England while somewhat familiar name in Australia, Ecuador, Philippines, China, Mexico, Canada, Venezuela, Scotland, Austria and Brazil.
At least, 40000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our research.
Freya in Nordic countries
What numbers say about Freya?
Having the letter A as your capstone reveals your true personality. You often get involved with people who have a hard time to express how they actually feel. You can't stand people without a purpose. Having letter A as your capstone reveals your greediness and ambition. Your days of pretending to be Mother Theresa are over. Now it's time you take care of that hole inside your heart. Nothing escapes your eye, your sense of smell is highly developed, such as your sense of touch.
Do you like Freya? You would love these names
- Sara - Used commonly in Sindhi and Oriya durable and trendy, Sara is originated from Hebrew and is aimed at both genders, Sara means "Precious, Noble Lady or Excellent". Frequently Used name Sara reached 172nd position on baby girl names chart in 2018 in United States
- Kouther - Prevalently used in Kannada and Bengali, Kouther means "River in Jennah (Paradise) or River In Jannat Paradise" is used for baby girls
- Insaf - Unisex name Insaf is originated from Arabic, meaning of Insaf is "Justice or Righteousness" is chiefly used in Arabic and Arabic
- Naina means Love or Eyes in general aimed at both sexes is used mostly in Norwegian, Faroese and Bengali
- Aliya - Used in Malayalam, Norwegian and Bengali darling, Aliya is used as a baby girl name, Aliya means "Towering or Sublime" came from Hebrew and Arabic
Sibling Names for Freya
If you've decided to name your baby girl Freya, you might be looking for the perfect names to match her siblings. From classic and timeless choices to trendy and unique options, we've compiled a list of sibling names that perfectly complement the Nordic-inspired moniker. Here are some great ideas to help you find the ideal name for your growing family.
Names for Freya's sister
Brother for Freya
Famous people named Freya
- Freya Aswynn,
- Freya Stark, Anglo-Italian explorer and travel writer
- Freya von Moltke, participant
- Freya Stafford, Australian actress
- Freya North, British writer, active since 1996
- Freya Lim, Taiwan-born Malaysian Mandopop singer and radio deejay
- Freya Van den Bossche, Belgian politician and daughter of prominent former Belgian politician Luc Van den Bossche
- Freya Clausen, Danish singer/songwriter and television personality
- Freya Fumic in Nanny McPhee as Actress
- Freya Berry in Mnemophrenia as Actress
- Freya Copeland in Emmerdale Farm as Actress
- Freya Milner in The Lovely Bones as Actress
- Freya Galpin in Anna Karenina as Actress
- Freya Ravensbergen in Two Worlds II as Actress
- Freya Edmondson in Episode #2.1 as Actress
- Freya Adams in Advantageous as Actress
- Actor Freya Neilsen, renowned for short Eve of Adha
- In 1979, Freya Crane characterized the role of Kathy Baker in comedy flick Scoring.
Lists having Freya
- Girl names beginning with F
- American Girl Names
- English Girl Names
- Norse Girl Names
- Arabic Girl Names
- Danish Girl Names
- Finnish Girl Names
- German Girl Names
- Hindi Girl Names
- Bengali Girl Names
- Gujarati Girl Names
- Kannada Girl Names
- Malayalam Girl Names
- Marathi Girl Names
- Sindhi Girl Names
- Tamil Girl Names
- Telugu Girl Names
- Norwegian Girl Names
- Swedish Girl Names
- Indian Girl Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -eya
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Goddess
- Baby Names that mean Love
- Baby Names that mean Queen
- Baby Names that mean Beloved
- Baby Names that mean Lady
- Baby Names that mean Noble
- Baby Names that mean Woman
- Baby Names that mean High
- Baby Names that mean Mistress