Mairead meaning and origin
Of Old Greek origin, Trendy Mairead is a girl name, primarily used in Finnish, Swedish and Scottish, Mairead means "The Pearl". Mairead is English and Gaelic form of Margaret. Also Mairead is Scottish form of Mairéad.
Variants of Mairead
Margaret, Mairéad, Marguerite, Margareta, Grieta, Margaux, Mamie, Tita, Margueritte, Annemargaret, Griet, Margarita, Magga, Maret, Marga, Greta, Margau, Margeaux, Margot, Mammie, Maria, Mariam, Mariamne, Mirjam, Mary, Thita, Christina, Margueriette, Ann, Anna, Anders, Arne, AnneNames that rhyme with Mairead
Popularity of Mairead
Mairead is a common name in Ireland given to over 4042 babies in 55 years. At its zenith in 1982, it ranked 46th when 200 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Mairead is a familiar baby name in United States, it has been in use since 1967 and was able to reach the top 3000 names. In 1997, it ranked 2448th when 59 girl were named Mairead. Over 1211 babies in United States have been named Mairead.
Mairead is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 700 names. In 2000, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 645 on girl names chart when 39 babies were named Mairead. Over 311 people have been named Mairead in England and Wales. Mairead is a common name in England while somewhat familiar name in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Australia and Canada. As per our estimate, over 9000 babies have been bestowed Mairead around the globe.
Here's what numbers has to say about Mairead
You are passionate when it comes to relationships but cool off too easily. You have a curious mind and wish to explore the world. If you have things to be handled, you handle them right away, without much waiting. People often mistake you for a fool but you always find an indirect way to prove them wrong. You encourage people to walk the harder path and fight for what they believe is right. Besides being a good friend, you are a caring, passionate partner and devoted to your family.
If you like Mairead, you would love these names
- Grethel - Unfamiliar Grethel came from Old Greek language is a baby girl name, prevalently used in Norwegian and Danish, meaning of Grethel is "Name of a Saint, Pearl and The Pearl". Grethel is short of Margaret.
- Colas means Victory or People used for boys is originated from Greek and Old Greek is primarily used in French
- Nicolette - Prevailing unisex name Nicolette is used predominantly in French and English, Nicolette means "Victory of the People" has its origin in Old Greek
- Cattalen - The Cattalen came from Greek, meaning of Cattalen is "Pure"
- Gretel means The Pearl, Child of Light or Pearl is commonly used in Danish, German and Swedish and a girl name is of Old Greek origin
Namesakes of Mairead
- Mairead Maguire, peace activist from Northern Ireland
- Mairead McGuinness, Irish politician
- Mairead Carty in A Mind to Murder as Actress
- Mairead McKinley in Edge of Tomorrow as Actress
- Mairead Armstrong in Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation as Actress
- Mairead Devanney is renowned for her acting in TV series The Carousel