Oscar name meaning
On This Page
What does Oscar mean?
Famed and Evergreen unisex name Oscar is used mostly in English, French, Irish, Finnish, Italian, Gaelic, Scandinavian, Danish, Swedish, Greenlandic and Norwegian has its origin in Old Norse, German and Celtic, Oscar means "God's Spear, Dear Friend, Divine Strength, Ase, Deity, Name of a Nordic Divinity or God Spear".
Oscar is English cognate of Osgar.. Oscar is combination of Irish Gaelic os = 'deer' and cara/caraid = 'friend, relative'. Oscar is combination of Irish Gaelic os = 'deer' and cara/caraid = 'friend, relative'.
It is celebrated on February 3rd.
How do I pronounce Oscar?
The proper pronunciation of three syllabled Oscar is aw-ss-kur.
Variants of Oscar
Nicknames for Oscar
Possible nicknames for the child named Oscar include:Names that rhyme with Oscar
How popular is the name Oscar?
Oscar was a popular name in United States. Over 201841 babies have been named Oscar since 1880. When at its peak in 1883, it ranked 26th when 3601 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 242 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 22 times Also, Oscar was a popular name in England and Wales.
Over 49560 babies have been named Oscar since 1996. When at the peak of its usage in 2013, the moniker grabbed the 7th spot and 4511 baby boys were given the name.
However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 10 baby names 6 times Also, a popular name in France having over 21671 recievers in 119 years of usage.
Currently peaked at the charts, it ranked 66th when 1048 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 13 times Also, a popular name in Spain with over 18567 new-borns have been given the name since 2002.
When at its peak in 2002, it ranked 24th when 1818 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 9 times Also, a popular name in Denmark having over 9327 recievers in 22 years of usage.
Currently the moniker is on a rise, in 2019, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 551 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 6 times Also, Oscar was a popular name in Sweden.
Over 20255 babies have been given the name in 20 years. At the peak of its usage in 1999, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 1340 baby boys were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 20 years but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 19 times
A common name in Ireland with over 2430 new-borns have been given the name since 1969.
Currently at its peak, it ranked 37th when 185 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, In Netherlands, Oscar was once a common name since emerging in 2015 it has been given to over 845 babies.
When at its peak in 2016,. However after 5 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Oscar is a common name in Belgium given to over 3087 babies in 24 years.
At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2016, it ranked 15th when 292 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, Oscar is a common name in New South Wales given to over 4724 babies in 21 years.
Presently the moniker is on a rise, in 2018, 294 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 21st position. Also, In Queensland, Oscar was once a common name since emerging in 2001 it has been given to over 2587 babies.
When at the peak of its usage in 2019,. However after 19 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Oscar was a common name in Western Australia.
Over 114 babies have been named Oscar since 2019. When at the peak of its usage in 2019,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 1 times Also, A common name in Victoria with over 2924 new-borns have been given the name since 2008.
Currently the name is rising, in 2019, it ranked 11st when 307 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 12 times
Oscar is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
Recently in 2018, 77 babies were given Oscar and it reached its peak ranking, 114 on boy names chart. Over 858 babies in Switzerland have been named Oscar. The moniker is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today.
Over 114 people have been named Oscar in Western Australia. However things change on global perspective, Oscar is extremely popular in Mexico where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela and Philippines.
Also the baby name is popular in Guatemala, Chile, DR Congo, Honduras, El Salvador, Brazil, Ecuador, Paraguay, Bolivia, Cuba, Tanzania, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Kenya, Uruguay, Burundi, Zambia, Dominican Republic, Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Rwanda, South Africa, Malawi, Ghana, Panama and Zimbabwe.
According to our evaluation, over 2880000 babies have been named Oscar globally.
Numerological analysis of Oscar
Your only mistake is that you are trying to prove others you can do it, instead of proving yourself. You are an intuitive person who sees through people and their intentions, which can be irritating sometimes. You respect rules but not enough to follow them blindly. Liberating from your self-imposed restrictions will affect your life in a positive rather than negative way as you assume. When it comes to giving an honest advice, you can be hard.
Other names similar to Oscar, for would be moms
- Brigitta - Atypical Brigitta is used specifically in Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish is a girl name and came from Celtic, Brigitta means "Strength, Force or Sublime"
- Goulvena - Goulvena came from Celtic, meaning of Goulvena is "Sparrow"
- Quinlan - Anomalous Quinlan came from Celtic is commonly used in English, meaning of Quinlan is "Descendant of Caoinlean Descendant of the Slender One or Athletic" is aimed at both sexes
- Dai - Of Mandarin and Celtic origin, Anomalous Dai is primarily used in Mandarin, Welsh and Kanji symbol, Dai means "Blackened Eyebrows, The Element Dei Meaning to Shine or Black Color" is a gender insensitive name
- Winifred - Dominant and Perpetual German and Celtic Winifred is used as a gender-neutral name, meaning of Winifred is "Frewi or Peace Friend" is largely used in Swedish, Danish and English
Famous people named Oscar
- Oscar Torp, Torp attended primary school before joining the workforce at age 13
- Oscar Kiss Maerth, author of 'The Beginning Was the End'
- Oscar Kjellberg, Swedish inventor and industrialist
- Oscar Berger, well-known caricaturist and cartoonist
- Oscar Tschirky, Swiss-American restaurateur
- Oscar Straus, Viennese composer of operettas and film scores and songs
- Oscar Temaru, French politician
- Oscar Shumsky, Oscar Shumsky married Louise Sophia Carboni on October 4
- Oscar Gustave Rejlander, pioneering Victorian art photographer and an expert
- Oscar van Dillen, Dutch composer, conductor, and instrumentalist
- Oscar Hartzell, American con man
- Oscar A. C. Lund, Swedish-born silent film actor
- Oscar Herrero, Flamenco guitarist from Spain
- Oscar Levertin, Swedish poet, critic and literary historian
- Oscar Deutsch, British businessman
- Oscar Chisini, Italian mathematician
- Oscar Panno, Argentine chess Grandmaster
- Oscar Wisting, Norwegian Naval officer and polar explorer
- Oscar Alin, Swedish historian and politician
- Oscar Sala,
- Oscar W. Greenberg, American physicist and professor at University of Maryland College of Computer
- Oscar Cox, Brazilian sportsman
- Oscar Galíndez, triathlete
- Oscar Bjornson, (February 14, 1906
- Oscar Janiger, experimental psychiatrist and a University of California Irvine psychiatrist and psychotherapist
- Oscar Jacobsson, Swedish comic creator and cartoonist
- Oscar Cullmann, Christian theologian in the Lutheran tradition
- Oscar Williams, American anthologist and poet
- Oscar Klein, Austrian born jazz trumpeter
- Oscar Redding, Australian actor, screenwriter and director
- Oscar Rivadeneira, retired Peruvian boxer
- Oscar Levy, German Jewish physician and writer
- Oscar Neebe, anarchist
- Oscar von Sydow, Swedish politician
- Oscar Asche, Australian actor, director and writer, best
- Oscar Eckenstein, English rock climber and mountaineer
- Oscar B. Cintas, prominent sugar and railroad magnate
- Oscar Chajes, American chess player
- Oscar Jacobsen, Norwegian engineer and politician for the Liberal Party
- Oscar Comery, Canadian-American chauffeur hanged in Concord
- Oscar Sigvald Julius Strugstad, Norwegian military officer and politician
- Oscar Milani, was born in Rosario, Argentina, November 24, 1946
- Oscar Quitak, British film and television actor
- Oscar Zariski, Russian-born American mathematician and one of the most influential algebraic geometers of the 20th century
- Oscar Buneman, made advances in science, engineering
- Oscar Montelius, Swedish archaeologist
- Oscar Werwath, founder and first president of the Milwaukee School of Engineering
- Oscar Hertwig, German zoologist and professor,
- Oscar Schlömilch, German mathematician, born in Weimar
- Oscar Hugh Lipscomb, retired Roman Catholic Archbishop of Mobile
- Oscar Peterson, Canadian jazz pianist and composer
- Oscar Wilde, Irish poet and playwright
- Oscar Hammerstein II, American librettist, theatrical producer
- Oscar I of Sweden, was King of Sweden and Norway
- Oscar Niemeyer, Brazilian architect considered to be one of the key figures
- Oscar E. Berninghaus, American artist and a founding member of the Taos Society of Artists
- Oscar De La Hoya, American former professional boxer who, in 2002
Lists having Oscar
- Boys names beginning with O
- Girls names beginning with O
- American Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Gaelic Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (1925)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Spear
- Baby Names that mean Dear
- Baby Names that mean Friend
- Baby Names that mean Lover
- Baby Names that mean Deer
- Baby Names that mean Strength
- Baby Names that mean Divine
- Baby Names that mean Deity
- Baby Names that mean Divinity