Daniel name meaning
On This Page
What does Daniel mean?
The name Daniel is Hebrew in origin and means "God is my judge". The name is found in the Biblical book of Daniel, where Daniel is a young man who is taken captive to Babylon.
He becomes a close friend of the king's son, and is eventually put in charge of the entire kingdom.
Famous people named Daniel include:
-Daniel Boone (1734-1820), American frontiersman
-Daniel Day-Lewis (b. 1957), Academy Award-winning actor
-Daniel Radcliffe (b.
1989), actor best known for his role as Harry Potter
There are many reasons why the name Daniel is a good choice for a baby. It is strong and masculine, yet also has a soft and gentle side.
It is a popular name, but not so common that it will be lost in a sea of other Daniels. And finally, it has a long history and meaning behind it, which can be passed down to your child.
How do I pronounce Daniel?
The two syllabled name Daniel is commonly pronounced as dan-yul.
Variants of Daniel
Daniyel, Daiel, Dan, Dangelo, Dante, Danr, Danila, Daniela, Angeldaniel, Danieljames, Angelos, Angelus, Angela, Angel, Daniyyel, Daaiel, Dahn, Dany, Jodan, Deangelo, Dantrell, Durante, Danilah, Danela, Dania, Danka, Agathangelos, Angelous, Aingeal, Angelia, Angelina, Angelica, Angelamaria, Anela, Engelina, Angie, Chrisangel
Nicknames for Daniel
If you're looking for a nickname, there is a Mountain that works with the the baby name Daniel. Some of these are:
How popular is the name Daniel?
Daniel was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 1926493 babies have been given the name. When at its peak in 1985, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 38533 baby boys were given the name.
However after 248 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 4 times Also, Daniel was an extremely popular name in England and Wales.
Over 114145 babies have been named Daniel since 1996. When at its peak in 1996, 10338 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 2nd position. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 9 times Also, Daniel was among the popular names in Ireland. Since emerging in 1964 around 28032 babies have been given the moniker.
When at its peak in 2009, 842 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 3rd position. However after 56 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 5 baby names 14 times Also, an extremely popular name in France having over 434972 recievers in 153 years of usage. Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 1944, the moniker grabbed the 3rd spot and 21349 baby boys were given the name.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 7 times Also, a very popular name in Spain having over 82950 recievers in 15 years of usage. At its zenith in 2007, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 7873 baby boys were given the name.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 14 times Also, Daniel was among the popular names in Italy. Since emerging in 2005 around 17357 babies have been given the moniker.
At the peak of its usage in 2015, the moniker grabbed the 41st spot and 1348 baby boys were given the name. However after 14 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 14 times Also, Daniel is a popular name in Denmark given to over 14809 babies in 30 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 1985, the moniker grabbed the 13rd spot and 789 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 30 times Also, Daniel is a popular in Sweden where over 4426 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
When at the peak of its usage in 1998, 768 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 13rd position. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 6 times Also, Daniel is a popular in New South Wales where over 43813 new-borns have been given the name since 1952.
At its zenith in 1979, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 1451 baby boys were given the name. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 23 times Also, Daniel was among the popular names in Queensland.
Since emerging in 1960 around 20335 babies have been given the given name. When at the peak of its usage in 1980, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 714 baby boys were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 60 years. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 21 times
Daniel used to be a common name in Switzerland, first appeared in 1998 and over 3981 babies have been given the name in 21 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 1998,. However after 21 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 21 times Also, A common name in Netherlands with over 1380 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
When at the peak of its usage in 2019, the moniker grabbed the 42nd spot and 286 baby boys were given the name. Also, Daniel used to be a common name in Finland, first appeared in 1978 and over 1855 babies have been given the name in 29 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2005,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 29 years. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 5 baby names 5 times Also, Daniel used to be a common name in Belgium, first appeared in 1995 and over 1830 babies have been given the name in 24 years.
When at its peak in 2015,. However after 24 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Daniel used to be a common name in Western Australia, first appeared in 1973 and over 9403 babies have been given the name in 34 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 1988,. After 34 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 5 baby names 24 times Also, Daniel was a common name in Victoria.
Over 2275 babies have been named Daniel since 2008. When at its peak in 2008,. However after 12 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong.
Daniel is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory where it is still in use. There are over 113 babies that have been given the name Daniel in Northern Territory. However things change on global perspective, Daniel is extremely popular in Mexico where every 1 in 300 have the name as well as in, Brazil, Nigeria, Argentina, DR Congo, England, Kenya, Ghana, Romania, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Poland, Germany, Canada, South Africa, Uganda, Philippines, Venezuela and Angola.
Also the baby name is popular in Colombia, Eritrea, Peru, Chile, Indonesia, Cameroon, Mozambique, Malawi, Czech Republic, Australia, Sudan, Ecuador, Madagascar, Zambia, Bolivia, Guatemala, Cuba, Haiti, Portugal, Sierra Leone, Dominican Republic, Zimbabwe, Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Chad, Uruguay, Benin, Central African Republic, Liberia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, India, Paraguay, Honduras, El Salvador, Austria, Costa Rica, Scotland, Panama, Egypt, Wales, Togo, Congo, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Nicaragua, Namibia, Puerto Rico, New Zealand, Burkina Faso, Russia, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Norway, East Timor, Mali, Jamaica, Ivory Coast, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, China and Northern Ireland.
At least, 9410000 people globally have carried Daniel as their given name according to our evaluation.
Daniel in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Daniel
You are known for your lively spirit, eternal patience and lack of belief when it comes to love. Helping people, protecting nature and animals are your main preoccupation. Once you lay your eyes on someone, that person is yours. You are truthful and prefer the cold truth over warm lies. There isn't a person you can't charm. You are a born artist even if you won't admit it. You love life and life loves you.
Other names liked by soon-to-be-parents that are similar to Daniel
- Alija - Meaning of Alija is Sublime used for both boys and girls and is used in Finnish and Danish has its origin in Hebrew
- Qisaf - Meaning of Qisaf is Daughter of Abdullah Bin Damirah, A Student of Hadith or Brittle used for baby girls is mostly used in Arabic and Sindhi
- Nazindah - Used mainly in Arabic and Sindhi, Nazindah means "Liberal or Name of a Liberal Woman of Baghdad who Founded a Religious School" is aimed at baby girls
- Ridwan - Uncommon unisex name Ridwan is of Arabic origin which is used specifically in Finnish, Hindi and Norwegian languages, Ridwan means "Satisfaction or One who is Accepting"
- Aidh - Aidh's meaning is Name of a Reciter of the Holy Quran is mainly used in Sindhi and Arabic is used for boys
Sibling Names for Daniel
Choosing the perfect name for your baby can be a challenging task, especially when you want to find a name that complements your family's naming tradition. If you already have a son named Daniel and are expecting another child soon, then you might be looking for sibling names that sound great with Daniel. Here are some excellent options to consider.
Sister for Daniel
Names for Daniel's brother
Famous people named Daniel
- Daniel Chodowiecki, Polish—and later German—painter and printmaker with Huguenot ancestry
- Daniel le Pelley, was Seigneur of Sark from 1742 to 1752
- Daniel Albert Wyttenbach, German Swiss classical scholar
- Daniel Cornelius Danielssen, Norwegian physician
- Daniel Waldo, American clergyman
- Daniel Salamanca Urey, was President of Bolivia
- Daniel Rutherford Haldane, prominent Scottish physician
- Daniel Rudge, British engineer
- Daniel David Moses, First Nations poet and playwright from Canada
- Daniel Poliquin, Canadian novelist and translator
- Daniel Johnson Jr., Daniel Johnson Jr
- Daniel Odier, Swiss author and screenwriter
- Daniel Clark, first Delegate
- Daniel Heinsius, was one of the most famous scholars of the Dutch Renaissance
- Daniel Marot, French Protestant, an architect
- Daniel Wakefield, was born in Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex, England
- Daniel Johnson Sr., Francis Daniel Johnson Sr
- Daniel Chorzempa, American organist and architect
- Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, French soldier and explorer
- Daniel Gluckstein, French Trotskyist politician best
- Daniel Lambert, gaol keeper The term was sometimes spelled "jail"
- Daniel Giguère, last mayor of Ville de Jonquière
- Daniel Massey, blacksmith in what is now Newcastle, Ontario
- Daniel Moore, U.S. poet, essayist and librettist
- Daniel Joseph Greene, Newfoundland politician
- Daniel Carroll, American politician and plantation owner
- Daniel A. Grout, school teacher and principal and school board administrator
- Daniel Okrent, American writer and editor
- Daniel Lionel Hanington, New Brunswick, Canada politician and jurist
- Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, Dutch-German-Polish physicist, inventor
- Daniel Dennett, American philosopher, writer, and cognitive scientist whose research centers on the philosophy of mind
- Daniel Bernoulli, Swiss mathematician and physicist and was one of the many prominent mathematicians
- Daniel McFadden, American econometrician
- Daniel Sleator, Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University
- Daniel Kahneman, Israeli-American psychologist notable for his work on the psychology of judgment and decision-making
- Daniel J. Bernstein, German-American mathematician, cryptologist
- Daniel Dolan, sedevacantist Traditionalist Catholic bishop
- Daniel Ziegler, scientist
- Daniel Solander, Swedish naturalist and an apostle of Carl Linnaeus
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek, American physician and medical researcher
- Daniel Bensaïd, philosopher and a leader of the Trotskyist movement
- Daniel Quillen, American mathematician
- Daniel Rutherford, Scottish physician
- Daniel C. Burbank, retired American astronaut and a veteran of two Space Shuttle missions
- Daniel Bell, American sociologist, writer, editor
- Daniel Brandenstein, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of United Space Alliance
- Daniel du Toit, South African astronomer
- Daniel T. Barry, American engineer, scientist
- Daniel W. Bursch, former NASA astronaut
- Daniel Defoe, English trader, writer, journalist
- Daniel Jones, London-born British phonetician
- Daniel Ortega, Nicaraguan politician serving as President of Nicaragua since 2007; previously he was leader of Nicaragua
- Daniel Burnham, American architect and urban designer
- Daniel Schultz, He painted many Polish and Lithuanian nobles, members of the royal family
- Daniel Webster, American statesman
- Daniel Boone, American pioneer, explorer, woodsman
- Daniel Handler, American writer and musician
- Daniel Ellsberg, American activist and former United States military analyst who, while employed by the RAND Corporation
- Daniel D. Tompkins, American politician
- Daniel Quinn, American author, cultural critic
- Daniel Radcliffe, English actor and producer best
- Daniel Chester French,
- Daniel arap Moi, former Kenyan politician
- Daniel O'Connell, Irish political leader
- Daniel Day-Lewis, retired English actor
- Daniel Massey, English actor and performer
- Daniel Drew, American businessman
- Daniel Baldwin, American actor, director and producer
- Daniel Santiago, American-born Puerto Rican former professional basketball player
Lists having Daniel
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with D
- Girls names beginning with D
- Armenian Baby Names
- American Baby Names
- Czech Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Polish Baby Names
- Portuguese Baby Names
- Roman Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Dan
- Boy names that ends with -iel
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (1986)
- Popular Boy Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2003)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2015)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (2007)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2004)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Judge
- Baby Names that mean Lord
- Baby Names that mean Judged