Gabriel name meaning
On This Page
What does Gabriel mean?
The name Gabriel is derived from the Hebrew name גַבְרִיאֵל (Gavri'el) which means "God is my strong man". The name first appears in the Bible in the book of Daniel. It was popularized as a given name by the angels in early Christian tradition.
Gabriel is one of the archangels in Judeo-Christian tradition. He is known as the "messenger angel" and he appeared to various figures in the Bible, including Daniel and Mary. In Islam, Gabriel is one of the main archangels who reveal divine messages to prophets.
He is also known as Jibril or Djibril in Arabic.
The name Gabriel has been used for many different characters over the years, both fictional and real. Some notable examples include:
-The Archangel Gabriel from The Bible and other religious texts
-Gabriel Oak from Thomas Hardy's novel Far From the Madding Crowd
-Gabrielle Doyle from Edith Wharton's short story "Roman Fever"
-Gabriel Byrne, Irish actor
There are many famous people who share the name Gabriel, including:
-Gabriel García Márquez, Nobel Prize-winning author of One Hundred Years of Solitude
-Gabriel Byrne, Irish actor and director
-Gabriel Iglesias, American stand-up comedian and actor
-Gabriel Macht, American actor best known for his role in Suits
-Gabriel Aubry, Canadian model
Now that you know a little more about the meaning behind the name Gabriel, as well as some of its popularity and distribution, hopefully you can see why it might be a good choice for your baby's name.
If you're looking for a name that is both unique and has a deep meaning, Gabriel might just be the perfect fit.
How does Gabriel sound as a baby name?
Gabriel is an excellent name for a baby boy. It has been popular in many cultures for centuries and has a good meaning behind it.
The origin of the name Gabriel is Hebrew, which means 'God is my strength; hero of God.' This meaning gives it a strong, powerful connotations, making Gabriel an ideal name for a brave little guy.
It also has historical significance as Gabriel was an archangel in the Bible. This will give your son an air of mystery and respectability. All in all, Gabriel is a great choice for baby boys.
How do I pronounce Gabriel?
The two syllabled name Gabriel is pronounced, g(a)-briel. The other ways to say the name is gab-riel.
Variants of Gabriel
Nicknames for Gabriel
You can playfully shorten baby name Gabriel with these possibleNames that rhyme with Gabriel
How popular is the name Gabriel?
Gabriel was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 352503 babies have been given the moniker. When at its peak in 2010, 13022 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 21st position.
However after 222 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 19 times Also, Gabriel is a popular name in England and Wales given to over 15657 babies in 35 years.
Currently peaking at the charts, it ranked 61st when 1022 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Moreover, the name has been to the top 100 baby names 16 times Also, Gabriel was a very popular name in France.
Over 178812 babies have been named Gabriel since 1900. When at the peak of its usage in 2015, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 5870 baby boys were given the name.
However after 137 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the name has been to the top 5 baby names 8 times Also, Gabriel is a popular in Spain where over 20419 new-borns have been given the name since 2002.
When at the peak of its usage in 2010, it ranked 35th when 1568 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 15 times Also, Gabriel was a popular name in Italy.
Over 20745 babies have been given the given name in 11 years. At the peak of its usage in 2012, the moniker grabbed the 27th spot and 2411 baby boys were given the name.
However after 11 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 11 times
In Switzerland, Gabriel was once a common name since emerging in 1998 it has been given to over 5221 babies.
At its zenith in 2014,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 21 years but it is still in a strong position. Also, Gabriel is common in Sweden where over 7195 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
Presently at its peak, it ranked 21st when 485 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, A common name in Belgium with over 5581 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
Recently peaked at the charts, 429 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 8th position. Also, In New South Wales, Gabriel was once a common name since emerging in 2002 it has been given to over 1913 babies.
At its zenith in 2009,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 15 years but it is still going strong. Also, In Victoria, Gabriel was once a common name since emerging in 2008 it has been given to over 917 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2009,. However after 11 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Gabriel is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
In 1964, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 72 on boy names chart when 67 babies were given the name Gabriel. Over 1339 babies in Ireland have been named Gabriel.
Also, in Netherlands, in just 8 years, it has made it to the top 300 names. Recently in 2018, 70 babies were given Gabriel and it reached its peak ranking, 228 on boy names chart.
There are over 430 babies that have been given the name Gabriel in Netherlands. Also, in Queensland, in just 2 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. In 2009, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 90 on boy names chart when 80 babies were given the name Gabriel.
There are over 142 babies that have been given the name Gabriel in Queensland.
Gabriel is a rare baby name in Queensland where it is still in use. Over 142 people have been named Gabriel in Queensland.
However things change on global perspective, Gabriel is extremely popular in Mexico where every 1 in 500 have the name as well as in, Nigeria, Romania, DR Congo, Argentina, Brazil and Colombia.
Also the baby name is popular in Tanzania, Angola, Venezuela, Mozambique, Chile, Philippines, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Ecuador, Peru, Sudan, Bolivia, South Africa, Guatemala, Indonesia, Canada, Zambia, Madagascar, Burundi, Chad, Israel, Slovakia, Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Uruguay, Dominican Republic, Benin, Panama, Paraguay, Namibia, Poland, Cuba, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Portugal, Haiti, Congo, Costa Rica, Honduras, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea, Zimbabwe, England, Germany, Egypt and India.
At least, 2430000 people globally have carried Gabriel as their given name according to our estimate.
What numerology tells about Gabriel?
There's not a problem you cannot solve. You often get carried away by your emotions and taken as crazy because of your excessive reactions to injustice. You don't share the usual opinion of things and the ordinary life perspective. You are dominant when it comes to relationships. People take you as a self-absorbed person but you don't care how they take you. You dream of living in a more humane society.
Parents who liked Gabriel, loved these names
- Nand - Recent and Famous Nand is used specifically in Gujarati and Dutch, Nand means "Joyful or Bold Protector" and usually is aimed at boys is rooted from Gothic and Sanskrit
- Marie Grace is used notably in Dutch is rooted from Dutch bestowed upon baby girls, Marie Grace means "Marie or Grace"
- Kort - Originated from Germanic, Offbeat Kort is a gender-neutral name, Kort means "Bold Counselor" is mostly used in German and Danish
- Leonique - The girl name Leonique means "The Lion" which is used in Dutch has its origin in Latin language
- Egidius - Egidius's meaning is Aigilops or The Beschützende is used specifically in Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish bestowed upon baby boys has origin in Old Greek
Middle names for Gabriel
We've compiled a list of the mainstream and familiar middle names for Gabriel below.
View more middle names that goes with Gabriel.
Sibling Names for Gabriel
If you're considering naming your baby boy Gabriel, you might be wondering what names would pair well with it for a sibling. To help inspire you, we've compiled a list of 20 names that complement Gabriel's classic and timeless feel. From traditional choices to more unique options, there's something for every family's style and taste.
Names for Gabriel's sister
Names for Gabriel's brother
Famous people named Gabriel
- Gabriel Fauré, French composer, organist, pianist and teacher
- Gabriel Parra, former drummer of Chilean folk group "Los Jaivas"
- Gabriel Monod, French historian, the nephew of Adolphe Monod
- Gabriel Harvey, English writer
- Gabriel Prosser, literate enslaved blacksmith
- Gabriel Miró, (; Alicante, 28 July 1879'Columbia Dictionary of Modern European Literature'; Jean Albert Bédé, William Benbow Edgerton
- Gabriel Paul Othenin de Cléron, comte d'Haussonville, French politician and author
- Gabriel El-Registan, Soviet Armenian poet
- Gabriel González Videla, Chilean politician
- Gabriel Pierné, French composer, conductor, and organist
- Gabriel Bibron, French zoologist, and herpetologist
- Gabriel Read, Tasmanian gold prospector born between 1824 and 1826
- Gabriel Hiester, American political and military leader
- Gabriel Zaid, Mexican writer, poet and intellectual
- Gabriel Kney, Canadian builder of pipe organs based in London
- Gabriel Alomar i Villalonga, poet, essayist
- Gabriel Goity, Argentine theatrical, film and television actor
- Gabriel García Moreno, Ecuadorian politician
- Gabriel Guist'hau, French politician
- Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows, wearing the Passionist Habit
- Gabriel Hayes, Irish artist born in Dublin, Ireland
- Gabriel Sénac de Meilhan, French writer
- Gabriel Bonnot de Mably, French philosopher, historian, and writer
- Gabriel François Doyen, French painter, who was born at Paris
- Gabriel Andral, distinguished French pathologist and a professor at the University of Paris
- Gabriel Lam, born 13 November 1933
- Gabriel G. Nahas, anesthesiologist
- Gabriel Montalvo Higuera, was born in Bogotá, Colombia
- Gabriel Daniel, French Jesuit historian
- Gabriel Moraga, Spanish army officer
- Gabriel Mouton, French abbot and scientist
- Gabriel Biel, German scholastic philosopher and member of the Canons Regular of the Congregation of Windesheim
- Gabriel Lalemant, Jesuit missionary in New France beginning in 1646
- Gabriel Preil, modern Hebrew poet active in the United States
- Gabriel of Komana, Eastern Orthodox archbishop of the Ecumenical Patriarchate
- Gabriel Kielland, Norwegian painter, architect and designer
- Gabriel Baccus Matthews, Liberian politician
- Gabriel Zwilling, German Lutheran and Protestant Reformer born near Annaberg
- Gabriel Gerberon, Jansenist monk
- Gabriel Gruber, second Superior General of the Society of Jesus
- Gabriel Lamé, French mathematician
- Gabriel Tarde, French sociologist
- Gabriel Cramer, Genevan mathematician
- Gabriel Marcel, French philosopher, playwright
- Gabriel Auguste Daubrée, French geologist
- Gabriel Andrew Dirac, mathematician who mainly worked in graph theory
- Gabriel Zubeir Wako, Sudanese Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Gabriel Lippmann, Franco-Luxembourgish physicist and inventor
- Gabriel Carroll, Assistant Professor of Economics at Stanford University
- Gabriel Reyes, 28th Archbishop of Manila
- Gabriel Faure, French poet, novelist and essayist
- Gabriel Yared, French-Lebanese composer
- Gabriel Naudé, French librarian and scholar
- Gabriel Hanotaux, French statesman and historian
- Gabriel Gustafsson Oxenstierna, Swedish statesman
- Gabriel Dumont, Canadian political figure best
- Gabriel Byrne, Irish actor, film director, film producer, writer
- Gabriel Bethlen, was Prince of Transylvania from 1613 to 1629 and Duke of Opole
- Gabriel Narutowicz, Polish professor of hydroelectric engineering and politician
- Gabriel Thomson, English former actor
Lists having Gabriel
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with G
- Girls names beginning with G
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Portuguese Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that ends with -iel
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (1967)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2011)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Strength
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Messenger
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean Man
- Baby Names that mean Bear
- Baby Names that mean Hero