Irene name meaning
On This Page
What does Irene mean?
Dominant and Ever lasting unisex name Irene means "The Peaceful, Palm Tree or The Word Eirene Which is of the Meaning Peace" and is rooted from Old Greek is specifically used in Sami, Spanish, English, Norwegian, Italian, Greenlandic, German, Scandinavian, Icelandic, Finnish, Swedish, Malayalam and Danish.
Is the name Irene suitable for a newborn?
Irene is a beloved name for baby girls that has been in use for centuries. Its Greek origin and association with peace add to its allure.
Irene has a classic, timeless feel and exudes elegance and grace. It is a simple yet beautiful name that manages to stand out without being too flashy or over-the-top. Irene's soft sound and smooth syllables make it an excellent choice for parents who want their child's name to have a gentle, calming effect.
Overall, Irene is a delightful name that brings joy and tranquility to those who hear it.
How do I pronounce Irene?
i-re-ne is the most common way to pronounce three syllabled Irene.
Variants of IreneNames that rhyme with Irene
How popular is the name Irene?
Irene is an extremely popular in United States where over 353504 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. At its zenith in 1918, it ranked 16th when 10623 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 41 times Also, Irene was a popular name in Spain. Over 44604 babies have been given the name in 17 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2006, the moniker grabbed the 6th spot and 4623 baby girls were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 17 years but still dominating the charts.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 5 times Also, Irene was a popular name in Italy. Over 29588 babies have been given the moniker in 20 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2000, it ranked 29th when 1981 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. However after 20 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 20 times
Irene was a common name in New South Wales. Over 566 babies have been named Irene since 1952.
At its zenith in 1952,. After 6 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Irene is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
In 1968, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 80 on girl names chart when 98 babies were given the name Irene. Over 1767 people have been named Irene in Ireland.
Irene is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 2000 names. In 2005, it ranked 1082nd when 29 girls were named Irene.
Over 397 people have been named Irene in England and Wales. Also, in France, in just 9 years, it has made it to the top 2000 names. In 2014, it ranked 1338th when 32 girls were named Irene.
There are over 126 babies that have been given the name Irene in France.
Irene is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, even after 21 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 400.
Over 205 babies in Switzerland have been named Irene. During its 23 years of usage in Belgium, it had made up to just the top 700 girl names. Over 223 babies in Belgium have been named Irene.
However things change on global perspective, Irene is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 800 have the name as well as in, Germany, Philippines, Uganda, Mexico, DR Congo, Tanzania, Kenya and England.
Also the baby name is popular in Ghana, Mozambique, Argentina, Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Congo, Cameroon, Rwanda, Peru, Angola, Netherlands, Chad, Nigeria, Austria, Indonesia, Colombia, Scotland, Venezuela, Burundi, Egypt, Cuba, Chile, Sudan, Malaysia, Bolivia, Ecuador, Madagascar, Norway, Portugal, Australia, Sweden, Guatemala, Benin, Paraguay, Denmark, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso, Costa Rica and East Timor.
At least, 2970000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our evaluation.
Irene in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological analysis of Irene
Having the letter I as a cornerstone reveals much about your great personality. You are intuitive but never use your intuition when it comes to making important decisions in life. It's time you give adventure and spontaneity a chance. You like people too but prefer your solitude. You believe that what you give is what you will receive. You are intelligent and independent. People who know you describe you as driven and ambitious.
Do you like Irene? You would love these names
- Kosmo - Widespread boy name Kosmo is used principally in Finnish and Swedish has its origin in Old Greek. Kosmo is Nordic equivalent of Cosmo
- Anastacio - Acclaimed and Evergreen boy name Anastacio is rooted from Old Greek, meaning of Anastacio is "Resurrection, The Elements Anastasis Meaning Resurrection and Risen One". Anastacio is resulted from Anastasius.
- Teresa means To Flow Down, Harvester or The Hunteress is a gender insensitive name, specifically used in Danish and Faroese has origin in Old Greek
- Caline - Rare girl name Caline is of Old Greek origin which is largely used in French language, meaning of Caline is "Victory of the People"
- Calypso - Meaning of Calypso is Chalice or Conceal came from Greek and Old Greek is aimed at girls
Middle names for Irene
Complement Irene with any of the short and striking middle names assembled below.
View more middle names that goes with Irene.
Sibling Names for Irene
If you're looking for sibling names to pair with the charming name "Irene", then you've come to the right place. Here are some great options that complement "Irene" perfectly, whether you're expecting a boy or a girl. From classic and traditional to modern and unique, there's something here for everyone.
For a sister
Names for Irene's brother
Famous people named Irene
- Irene of Athens,
- Irene Pepperberg, adjunct professor of psychology at Brandeis University and a lecturer at Harvard University
- Irene Wells Pennington, widow of Claude B. "Doc" Pennington
- Irene Curzon, 2nd Baroness Ravensdale, charitable socialite
- Irene Vorrink, PvdA politician
- Irene Castle,
- Irene Doukaina, Byzantine Empress by marriage to the Byzantine emperor Alexios I Komnenos
- Irene Hunt, American children's writer known best for historical novels
- Irene Spry, economic historian and social democrat awarded two honorary doctorates and named to the Order of Canada for her contributions to Canadian intellectual and public life
- Irene Laskarina, Empress of Nicaea
- Irene Palaiologina of Trebizond, was Empress of Trebizond
- Irene of Tomar, Christian
- Irene Vanbrugh, English actress
- Irene Kampen, Born in Brooklyn, New York and raised
- Irene Avaalaaqiaq Tiktaalaaq, is one of Canada's most renowned Inuit artists
- Irene Frisch, has written many articles and stories about her childhood
- Irene Angelina, Byzantine princess member of the Angelos dynasty and by her two marriages Queen of Sicily
- Irene Hendriks, former Dutch field hockey player,
- Irene Kral, American jazz singer
- Irene of Hungary, Byzantine empress by marriage to John II Komnenos
- Irene Scharrer, English classical pianist
- Irene Harand, Austrian human rights activist and campaigner against antisemitism
- Irene Osgood Andrews, Irene Osgood, Mrs
- Irene di Spilimbergo, female Italian Renaissance painter
- Irene Kwambai, Kenyan long-distance runner
- Irene Howard, British casting director
- Irene Tomaszewski, Canadian writer
- Irene McKinney, American poet and editor
- Irene of Trebizond, bigamous wife of Basil of Trebizond, by whom he had two sons
- Irene Stegun, mathematician at the National Bureau of Standards who
- Irene D. Long, official at the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Irene Pacheco, Colombian boxer former world champion
- Irene Loughlin, Canadian performance artist and writer
- Irene Rooke, English theatre and film actress
- Irene Mitterstieler, Italian luger
- Irene Piotrowski, semi-finalist in the 100 metres at both Games
- Irene Ighodaro, Sierra Leonean physician and social reformer
- Irene Eber, Israeli Orientalist
- Irene Heim, linguist and noted specialist in semantics
- Irene van Dyk, South African-born New Zealand netball player
- Irene Adams, Scottish Labour Party peer
- Irene Sáez, mayor of Chacao
- Irene Dunne, American film actress and singer of the 1930s
- Irene Cara, American singer, songwriter, dancer and actress
- Irene Papas, retired Greek actress and occasional singer
- Irene Jai Narayan, Indian born teacher and politician
- Irene Mathyssen, Canadian politician and a Member of Parliament
- Irene Morgan, African-American woman from Baltimore, Maryland,
- Irene Hervey, American film, stage
- Irene Uchida, Canadian scientist and Down syndrome researcher
- Irene Manning, American actress and singer
Lists having Irene
- Boys names beginning with I
- Girls names beginning with I
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -ene
- Popular Girl Names in United States (1950)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1977)
- Popular Girl Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (1957)
- Baby Names that mean Peaceful
- Baby Names that mean Palm
- Baby Names that mean Tree
- Baby Names that mean Greek
- Baby Names that mean Goddess
- Baby Names that mean Peace