Olivia name meaning
On This Page
What does Olivia mean?
The name Olivia is of Latin origin and means "olive tree". The name was inspired by the character Olivia Pope from the TV show Scandal. The name Olivia has been steadily climbing in popularity over the past few years and is currently one of the most popular names for baby girls.
The first recorded use of the name Olivia was in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, which was written in 1602. The character Olivia was a beautiful and noblewoman who was pursued by several men.
The name Olivia has been used throughout history by many notable figures including:
-Olivia Newton-John, an English-Australian actress, singer, and songwriter
-Olivia de Havilland, an American actress
-Olivia Palermo, an American socialite and television personality
-Olivia Wilde, an American actress and producer
There are many reasons why Olivia is a great name for a baby.
It has a beautiful sound, it is very popular but not too common, and it has a number of nickname options. Plus, it is relatively easy to spell and pronounce, which can be important considerations when choosing a name for your child.
Whether you are looking for a traditional name or something more unique, Olivia is definitely worth considering.
Is the name Olivia suitable for a newborn?
Olivia is a popular baby girl name that has gained attention for its beauty and elegance. It has a classic charm and timeless appeal that makes it ideal for parents who want to give their daughters a name that will stand the test of time.
One of the main characteristics of Olivia is its association with peace, as it means "olive tree" in Latin. This gives the name a sense of tranquility and calmness which parents find very appealing.
Additionally, Olivia has been used frequently in literature, films, and television shows, further adding to its popularity. It's easy to pronounce, spell, and remember which makes it an excellent choice for parents looking for a simple yet meaningful name for their baby girl.
How do I pronounce Olivia?
The proper pronunciation of three syllabled Olivia is o-li-vee-ah. Some people pronounce it as o-li-via.
Variants of Olivia
Nicknames for Olivia
You can playfully shorten the baby name Olivia with these possibleNames that rhyme with Olivia
How popular is the name Olivia?
Olivia was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 452770 babies have been named Olivia since 1880. When at its peak in 2014, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 19784 baby girls were given the name.
However after 194 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 14 times Also, Olivia was among the very popular names in England and Wales.
Since emerging in 1996 around 102781 babies have been given the moniker. At the peak of its usage in 2008, it ranked 1st when 5325 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 24 years but still performing better than most of the names. Moreover, the name has been to the top 5 baby names 15 times Also, Olivia was a popular name in Ireland.
Over 7025 babies have been given the moniker in 56 years. At its zenith in 1975, the moniker grabbed the 4th spot and 618 baby girls were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 56 years.
Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Olivia is a popular in France where over 39068 new-borns have been given the name since 1900.
Recently peaking at the charts, 1365 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 39th position. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 4 times Also, a popular name in Spain with over 9564 new-borns have been given the name since 2010.
At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2018, it ranked 20th when 1438 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 5 times Also, a popular name in Netherlands having over 2207 recievers in 5 years of usage.
The name is current favorite of the parents, in 2019, 501 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 13rd position. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 5 times Also, Olivia was a popular name in Sweden.
Over 6974 babies have been given the given name in 14 years. At its zenith in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 3rd spot and 634 baby girls were given the name.
However after 14 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Olivia was a popular name in Belgium.
Over 6240 babies have been given the name in 24 years. At its zenith in 2016, 613 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 2nd position. However after 24 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 6 times Also, Olivia was a popular name in New South Wales. Over 14321 babies have been named Olivia since 1978.
When at the peak of its usage in 2014, 652 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 1st position. However after 36 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts.
Additionally, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 18 times
Olivia is common in Switzerland where over 3028 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
At present at its peak, 227 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 23rd position. Also, A common name in Denmark having over 4802 recievers in 19 years of usage.
Currently the name is hotter than ever, the moniker grabbed the 13rd spot and 346 baby girls were given the name. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 19 times Also, Olivia was a common name in Queensland.
Over 6869 babies have been named Olivia since 1991. When at the peak of its usage in 2014,. However after 29 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still in a strong position.
Also, Olivia was a common name in Western Australia. Over 3383 babies have been named Olivia since 1998. At its zenith in 2013,. However after 21 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 5 baby names 10 times Also, A common name in Victoria having over 4680 recievers in 12 years of usage. When at the peak of its usage in 2014, it ranked 1st when 451 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 12 times
Olivia is a unique baby name in Finland, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 100 names.
In 2010, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 1 on girl names chart when 28 babies were named Olivia. The given name is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory where it has been in use since 2003 and peaked in 2010 when it ranked 1st.
There are over 219 babies that have been given the name Olivia in Northern Territory.
Olivia is a rare baby name in Finland however it is still in use. However things change on global perspective, Olivia is extremely popular in Mexico where every 1 in 2000 have the name.
Also the baby name is popular in Brazil, Mozambique, Madagascar, Uganda, Philippines, Ghana, Central African Republic, England, Guatemala, Indonesia, Nigeria, Egypt, Colombia, South Africa, Chile, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Malawi, Peru, Venezuela, Canada, Australia, Rwanda, Kenya and Namibia.
As per our findings, over 800000 people has been named Olivia globally.
Olivia in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Olivia?
Follow your dreams and heart instead of rules. Letter A at the end of your name foreshadows your high ambition to become someone in life. You are extremely smart. Logic isn't your strongest side but perfectionism is something people admire you for. The vowel o as your first one in your name reveals you are an opportunist. You are not a fan of monotony and you can't stand people who just dwell in their comfort zone, waiting for something to happen.
Other names liked by would be parents that are similar to Olivia
- Yan-Fanch - Yan-Fanch means "Free Man or God is Merciful" has origin in Latin
- Martina - Well-Liked and Ever lasting unisex name Martina means "Dedicated to God Mars or Lady", used notably in Danish and German is originated from Aramaic and Latin languages
- Costante - Boy name Costante is originated from Latin, meaning of Costante is "The Steadfast" is used chiefly in Italian
- Lorenza - Originated from Italian and Latin, Prevalent and Conifer Lorenza means "Symbolic of Honor or Victory, From Laurentum Stem End or Sweet Bay Tree" which is used commonly in Italian and English is aimed at both genders
- Saturneena - Girl name Saturneena has origin in Latin, Saturneena means "Dedicated to Saturn". Saturneena is a derivation of Saturnina.
Middle names for Olivia
These sought-after and familiar middle names flows beautifully with the baby name Olivia .
View more middle names that goes with Olivia.
Famous people named Olivia
- Olivia of Palermo, Christian virgin-martyr
- Olivia Molina, German-Mexican singer
- Olivia Egleston, was born Middletown, Connecticut on March 30
- Olivia Cole, British poet
- Olivia Heussler, Swiss photographer
- Olivia Bonelli, - soprano, 1920-1990
- Olivia FitzRoy, British author of children's books
- Olivia Borlée, retired Belgian sprinter
- Olivia Plender, artist based in London and Stockholm
- Olivia Judson, evolutionary biologist and science writer
- Olivia Newton-John, English-Australian singer, songwriter, actress
- Olivia de Havilland, retired American actress
- Olivia Hussey, Argentine-British actress
- Olivia Goldsmith, American author, best
- Olivia Harrison, Mexican-American author and film producer
- Olivia Poole, grew up
- Olivia d'Abo, English-American actress, voice actress, singer
- Olivia Serres, British painter and writer, born at Warwick
- Olivia Manning, British novelist, poet, writer, and reviewer
- Olivia Olson, American actress and singer-songwriter
- Olivia Mitchell, former Irish Fine Gael politician
- Olivia, American singer
- Olivia Colman, English actress
- Olivia Lewis, singer from Qormi, Malta
- Olivia Lum, Singaporean businesswoman
- Olivia Ward Bush-Banks, American author
- Olivia De Berardinis, American artist
- Olivia Ong, Singaporean singer and actress
- Olivia Williams, English film, stage
- Olivia Hamnett, English actress
- Olivia Cenizal, Filipino film actress
- Olivia Zechner, Austrian ultralight pilot
- Olivia Barclay, British astrologer
- Olivia Brown, American actress
- Olivia Barash, American actress
- Olivia Nobs, Swiss snowboarder
- Olivia Lufkin, Japanese-American bilingual singer and songwriter
- Olivia Rawlinson, swimmer from the Isle of Man
- Olivia Munn, American actress and model
- Olivia Cole, American actress
- Olivia Hallinan, English actress best
- Olivia Hack, American actress and voice actress, best
- Olivia Bonamy, French actress
- Olivia O'Leary, Irish journalist
- Olivia Newton Bundy, bassist and co-founder of the rock group Marilyn Manson until 1990
- Olivia Langdon Clemens, wife of the American author Samuel Langhorne Clemens
- Olivia Thirlby, American actress
- Olivia Cheng, Hong Kong based former actress
- Olivia Cheng, Canadian actress, broadcast journalist
- Olivia Tennet, New Zealand actress and dancer best known
Lists having Olivia
- Boys names beginning with O
- Girls names beginning with O
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -via
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Western Australia (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Olive
- Baby Names that mean Tree
- Baby Names that mean Elf
- Baby Names that mean Army