Sofia name meaning
On This Page
What does Sofia mean?
Originated from Old Greek, Famous and Enduring Sofia is primarily used in Italian, Swedish, Spanish, Malayalam, Icelandic, Danish, Finnish, Arabic, English, Gujarati, German, Tamil, Scandinavian and Norwegian and is aimed at both sexes, Sofia means "Knowledge, Wisdom, Will, Wise Form of Sophia or Beautiful".
Sofia is variant of durable and prevailing Sophia. Sophia is Latin cognate of The Greek Name Σοφια. Sophia means Form of Sophie and Skill has origin in Old Greek.. The name is celebrated on May 25th.
Is Sofia a suitable baby name?
Sofia is a popular name for baby girls, with origins rooted in the Greek language. The name means wisdom and is associated with intellectual and philosophical pursuits.
While it may be a traditional choice, Sofia has remained relevant and in-demand due to its timeless appeal. Many parents choose this name for its classic sound paired with modern flare, making it a versatile option that suits any personality type or style.
Sofia is also easy to spell and pronounce, making it a practical and enjoyable choice for those looking for a beautiful and meaningful name for their baby girl.
How do I pronounce Sofia?
Two syllabled Sofia is pronounced as so-fee-ah. It can also be pronounced as s(o)-fia.
Variants of Sofia
Nicknames for Sofia
If you are looking for a nickname for a baby named Sofia, There are plenty of choicesNames that rhyme with Sofia
How popular is the name Sofia?
Sofia is a very popular name in United States given to over 133924 babies in 150 years. When at the peak of its usage in 2014, 9681 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 12nd position.
Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 12 times Also, Sofia is a popular in England and Wales where over 19438 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At present peaking at the charts, it ranked 28th when 1728 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 8 times Also, Sofia was a popular name in France.
Over 24594 babies have been named Sofia since 1922. When at its peak in 2017, it ranked 32nd when 1566 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 84 years but still performing better than most of the names.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 5 times Also, Sofia is a popular in Spain where over 51719 new-borns have been given the name since 2002.
At its zenith in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 4206 baby girls were given the name. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names 4 times Also, Sofia was a very popular name in Italy.
Over 133231 babies have been named Sofia since 1999. When at its peak in 2010, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 8973 baby girls were given the name. However after 20 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 13 times Also, Sofia was a popular name in Denmark. Over 6926 babies have been given the first name in 18 years.
When at its peak in 2013, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 555 baby girls were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 18 years but still going strong on charts.
Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 5 baby names 7 times Also, Sofia is a popular name in Sweden given to over 5096 babies in 12 years. At the peak of its usage in 1998, it ranked 17th when 586 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 12 times
In Ireland, Sofia was once a common name since emerging in 1982 it has been given to over 1643 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2013,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 25 years but it is still going strong. Also, A common name in Switzerland having over 4200 recievers in 21 years of usage.
At its zenith in 2017, 352 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 3rd position. Also, A common name in Netherlands with over 1437 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
Recently the name is rising, in 2018, it ranked 34th when 328 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Sofia is a common name in Belgium given to over 3774 babies in 24 years.
At present at its peak, 368 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 8th position. Also, Sofia was a common name in New South Wales. Over 2304 babies have been named Sofia since 2004.
At the peak of its usage in 2011,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 16 years but it is still going strong. Also, Sofia is a common name in Victoria given to over 935 babies in 11 years.
Currently the moniker is on a rise, in 2018, it ranked 41st when 120 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Sofia is a familiar baby name in Queensland, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, 94 babies were given Sofia and it reached its peak ranking, 49 on girl names chart. Over 786 babies in Queensland have been named Sofia. Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, 52 babies were given Sofia and it reached its peak ranking, 36 on girl names chart.
In Finland, Sofia is a unique name where it has been in use since 2001 and has secured the place in top 100 names.
In 2010, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 10 on girl names chart when 42 babies were named Sofia. Over 292 babies in Finland have been named Sofia. The given name is a rare baby name in Western Australia however it is still in use.
However things change on global perspective, Sofia is extremely popular in Mexico where every 1 in 900 have the name as well as in Greece. Also the baby name is popular in Portugal, Mozambique, Angola, Morocco, Tanzania, Pakistan, Peru, Argentina, Indonesia, Russia, Philippines, Uganda, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Ethiopia, Bolivia, Kenya, DR Congo, Guatemala, Germany, Bangladesh, Ecuador, India, Moldova, Egypt, Venezuela, Uzbekistan, Sudan, England, Paraguay and Honduras.
According to our research, over 1220000 babies have been named Sofia globally.
Sofia in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Sofia?
If you want to play with the big players, act like one. You are a person of many talents. Set up a positive mindset and enjoy. The letter A as your capstone reveals how you look at life and people in general. You are very smart and calculative. You stand for inner strength, smartness, solitude, single, superior, sensitive, and everything that comes with an “s”. You think you have all the answers to your questions until someone surprises you and proves you are wrong.
Looking for names similar to Sofia? Please go through the following names
- Jaraah is used in Sindhi and Arabic is a boy name, Jaraah means "Name of Tabaree or Surgeon"
- Sahab - Sahab's meaning is Cloud or Clouds is used mostly in Sindhi and Arabic is given to both boys and girls
- Jama - Unexpected Jama largely is used in English and Polish is of English and Hebrew origin given to both sexes, meaning of Jama is "Daughter"
- Shihab - Unconventional Shihab has its origin in Arabic language bestowed upon baby boys used prevalently in Arabic, Sindhi and Hindi, Shihab means "Flame, Lord Shiva or Blaze"
- Ekram - New-fangled and Sufficiently quirky Ekram mainly is used in Hindi, Kannada and Marathi aimed at both sexes has its origin in Sanskrit, meaning of Ekram is "Honour or Honor"
Middle names for Sofia
These are some of the well-liked and sweet options for Sofia middle names.
View more middle names that goes with Sofia.
Famous people named Sofia
- Sofia Gubaidulina, Tatar-Russian composer
- Sofia Mestari, French singer of Moroccan origin
- Sofia Scalchi, Italian operatic contralto
- Sofia Larsen, Swedish Centre Party politician
- Sofia Fedorova, Russian ballerina
- Sofia Adamson, Greek immigrant
- Sofia Ester, was born in 1978, in Lisbon
- Sofia Kovalevskaya, Russian mathematician
- Sofia Coppola, American screenwriter, director, producer
- Sofia Rotaru, former Soviet Union and Ukrainian pop singer
- Sofia Polgár, Hungarian, Israeli and Canadian chess player
- Sofia Shinas, Greek Canadian singer, songwriter
- Sofia Essaïdi, French-Moroccan singer and actress
- Sofia Milos, Swiss-born Italian/Greek actress
- Sofia Vassilieva, American actress
- Sofia Konukh, Russian water polo player,
- Sofia Arvidsson, retired Swedish tennis player
- Sofia Muratova, Soviet gymnast
- Sofia, bossa singer in the Philippines
- Sofia Helin, Swedish actress
- Sofia Talvik, Swedish musician and singer/songwriter
- Sofia Minson, contemporary New Zealand oil painter of Māori
- Sofia Hayat, actress, model
- Sofia Mattsson, Swedish wrestler, who has won a World Championship
- Sofia Lundgren, Swedish football goalkeeper for Damallsvenskan club FC Rosengård and the Swedish national team
- Sofia Landon Geier, television soap opera writer and actress
- Sofia Karlsson, Swedish folk singer
- Sofia El Marikh, musician and entertainer from Casablanca, Morocco
- Sofia Vann in Changing as Actress
- Sofia Ribeiro in Eclipse em Portugal as Actress
- Sofia Costantini in Shall We Dance as Actress
- Sofia Adell in Time and Love as Actress
- Sofia Sandobar in Pipe Dreams as Actress
- Sofia Randovic in Tutti i frutti as Actress
- Sofia Valastro in Santa, Sunrise & Smowmen Cupcakes as
- Sofia Smyth Fuentes in One Named Peter as Actress
- Sofia Assefa is an Ethiopian long distance runner who specializes in the 3000m hurdles race.
- Sofia Aliberti, from 1984 comedy film Thilyko thiriotrofeio, who played Sofia.
- Sofia Eng played key role of Dory Grey in 1996 mystery film The Fountain of Death.
- In 1993 drama movie, Perempuan, Isteri, dan Jalang, Sofia Jane characterized Zaleha.
- In 1926, Sofia Jozeffi characterized the role of Duniasha in action, adventure film Savur-Mogila.
- Sofia Maldonado, from 1990 comedy film Metiche y encajoso II, who portrayed N.
- In 1969, Sofia Moran portrayed the role of N in action and adventure flick Kalinga.
- In 1969 drama flick, To koritsi tou '17, Sofia Roubou characterized Anna.
- In 1983, Sofia Olympiou portrayed the role of Pinelopi Koukoura in comedy, drama film Trellos kai pasis Ellados.
- Sofia Nouacer, from 2014 action film Les portes du soleil: Algérie pour toujours, who portrayed Lina.
- Sofia Labraki characterized the leading role of Wife in 1960 drama, romance flick To gymno modelo.
- In 2011, Sofia Moutidou characterized the role of N in film Ta koritsia me ta mavra.
- In 2005 drama movie, Mun mot mun, Sofia Westberg played Vera.
- In 2014 action and crime flick, Operation Rogue, Sofia Pernas characterized Jenna Wallace.
- In thriller movie, TuChT, Sofia Rodriguez portrayed Philomena.
- In 1966, Sofia Bano played the role of Reshama in drama and history film Azadi Ya Mout.
Lists having Sofia
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Knowledge
- Baby Names that mean Wisdom
- Baby Names that mean Wise
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful