Dorothea meaning and origin
Used majorly in Icelandic, Swedish, Danish, English, Finnish, Dutch, Scandinavian, German and Norwegian long standing and customary, Dorothea is of Old Greek origin, Dorothea means "Gift of God or Form of Dorothy" is used as a unisex name . Dorothea is variant of famous, biblical and immutable Dorothy. Dorothy is a variant of evergreen and prevailing Dorothea. Dorothy is form of Dorothea in English language. Noteworthy and Ever lasting Dorothy's origin is Old Greek, meaning of Dorothy is "Gift of God and Gift and God". Dorothea is form of Dorotheus in Latin and Greek languages.
Variants of DorotheaNames that rhyme with Dorothea
Popularity of Dorothea
a popular name in United States having over 33905 recievers in 140 years of usage. Recently the name is rising, in 1912, it ranked 174th when 1110 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Additionally, the name has been in the top 500 baby names an astounding 73 times Dorothea is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 2000 names. Recently in 2018, it ranked 1170th when 29 girls were named Dorothea. There are over 218 babies that have been given the name Dorothea in England and Wales.
Dorothea is an uncommon baby name in France there is very thin chances of it still being given as it was last seen in 1960. However things change on global perspective, Dorothea is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 900 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Tanzania, South Africa and Austria. At least, 180000 people globally have been given the name as per our estimate.
Dorothea in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Dorothea?
If someone surprises you in a positive way, that's fine. But it will take long until they earn your trust and full respect. Your intellectual mind is always generating new creative ideas. People see you as a stubborn and inflexible person. You lack motivation and courage to take an action. So what if you fail? Mistakes are the only way to become better at something. You don't take them seriously because of their mediocre lives.
Other names similar to Dorothea
- Pjeter - Boy name Pjeter is used commonly in Albanian and of Old Greek origin, Pjeter means "The Stone or The Rock"
- Zenaida - Old Greek name Zenaida bestowed upon baby girls is principally used in Spanish and Danish. Zenaida is Greek and Latin form of Ζηναις from the Greek God Zeus
- Ekaterina - Far-out Ekaterinas origin is Old Greek aimed at baby girls, meaning of Ekaterina is "The Pure" is used majorly in Swedish, Russian and Norwegian
- Dollie - Origin of Darling and Ceaseless Dollie is in Old Greek and Germanic is mainly used in Swedish and English, meaning of Dollie is "Gift of God, Variant of the Greek Dorothy or Sorrows" is aimed at both genders
- Abraam - Abraam's meaning is Father of Many used for boys and is used chiefly in Greek and Spanish is originated from Hebrew
Namesakes of Dorothea
- Dorothea Ackermann, German actress and eldest daughter of Konrad Ackermann and Sophie Charlotte Bierreichel
- Dorothea Mitchell, pioneer filmmaker in Canada
- Dorothea Neff, Vienna stage actress during the 1930s
- Dorothea of Alexandria, is venerated as a Christian virgin martyr
- Dorothea Viehmann, German storyteller
- Dorothea Hassager, Danish philanthropist and founder of Hassagers Collegium the youngest of the "old dormitories" of the University of Copenhagen
- Dorothea Waddingham, English nursing home matron
- Dorothea of Denmark, Duchess of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Duchess of Brunswick-Lüneburg
- Dorothea of Montau, hermitess and visionary of 14th century Germany
- Dorothea Church, first successful black fashion model in Paris
- Dorothea Orem, nursing theorist and creator of the self-care deficit nursing theory
- Dorothea Brooking, English children's television producer and director
- Dorothea von Schlegel, German novelist and translator
- Dorothea Celesia, poet and playwright best known for 'Almida'
- Dorothea Primrose Campbell, Scottish poet and novelist
- Dorothea Röschmann, German opera soprano from Flensburg
- Dorothea Klumpke, astronomer
- Dorothea Erxleben, first female medical doctor in Germany
- Dorothea Beale, suffragist, educational reformer
- Dorothea Jordan, Anglo-Irish actress, courtesan
- Dorothea Dix, American advocate on behalf of the indigent mentally ill who
- Dorothea Lange, American documentary photographer and photojournalist
- Dorothea of Brandenburg, was Queen consort of Denmark, Norway
- Dorothea Mackellar, Australian poet and fiction writer
- Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenburg, was queen consort of Denmark and Norway by marriage to King Christian III of Denmark
- Dorothea Lieven, Baltic German noblewoman and wife of Prince Christoph Heinrich von Lieven
- Dorothea Binz, officer and supervisor at Ravensbrück concentration camp during the Second World War
- Dorothea Tanning, American painter, printmaker, sculptor, writer
- Dorothea Douglass Lambert Chambers, British tennis player
- Dorothea Maria of Anhalt,
- Dorothea Baird, English stage and film actress
- Dorothea Rockburne, abstract painter
- Dorothea Lasky, American poet
- Dorothea of Bulgaria, first Queen of Bosnia
- Dorothea Palmer, Canadian
- Dorothea Wolbert, American film actress
- Dorothea Wieck in Mädchen in Uniform as Actress
- Dorothea Phillips in 102 Dalmatians as Actress
- Dorothea Rau in Der Bumsladen-Boß as Actress
- Dorothea Myer-Bennett in The Honourable Rebel as Actress
- Dorothea Swiac in Godzilla as Miscellaneous Crew
- Dorothea Harahan in Distractions as Actress
- Dorothea Kent in It Happened on Fifth Avenue as Actress
- Dorothea Bate Dorothea Minola Alice Bate was a paleontologist, zoologist and English ornithologist.
- Dorothea Bennett is credited as writer of movie The Jigsaw Man
- In 1988 flick, Trostgasse 7 - eine Kindheit in Wien 1934-1938, Dorothea Fuchs played Fanny.
- Dorothea Myller played the critical character of Biene in 1997 comedy movie Bandagistenglück.
- In 1968, Dorothea Dahl played the role of Rita in flick Wegen Reichtum geschlossen.
Lists having Dorothea
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with D
- Girls names beginning with D
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Girl names that starts with Dor
- Baby Names that mean Gift
- Baby Names that mean God