Michael name meaning
On This Page
What does Michael mean?
The name Michael is of Hebrew origin and means "Who is like God?". The name was popularized by the biblical archangel who is known as the protector and leader of God's army.
The name has been consistently ranked in the top 50 baby names for boys in the United States for over 40 years.
There are many famous people named Michael, including:
-Michael Jordan, one of the greatest basketball players of all time
-Michael Jackson, a legendary pop singer
-Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time
-Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire businessman and former mayor of New York City
-Michael Buble, a popular Canadian crooner
-Michael Caine, a legendary British actor
There are many reasons why the name Michael is a good choice for a baby.
For one, it is a strong and masculine name that has been popular for centuries. Additionally, the meaning of the name Michael ("who is like God?") is sure to instill values of strength and faith in your child.
And finally, there are countless famous people who have borne the name Michael, so your child will always have someone to look up to. Whichever reason you choose, you can rest assured that naming your child Michael is a wise decision.
How do I pronounce Michael?
The two syllabled name Michael is pronounced, m(i)-chael. my-kul is the different way(s) to pronounce the name.
Variants of Michael
Nicknames for Michael
If you are looking for a nickname for a baby named Michael, There are plenty of choices
How popular is the name Michael?
Michael was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 4384072 babies have been given the first name. At its zenith in 1954, the moniker grabbed the 1st spot and 92716 baby boys were given the name.
However after 251 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 5 baby names an astounding 62 times Also, Michael was among the popular names in England and Wales.
Since emerging in 1996 around 42879 babies have been given the first name. At its zenith in 1996, it ranked 22nd when 4187 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 12 times Also, Michael was a popular name in Ireland.
Over 54030 babies have been named Michael since 1964. When at the peak of its usage in 1966, the moniker grabbed the 2nd spot and 2157 baby boys were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 56 years but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 5 baby names 33 times Also, Michael was among the popular names in France.
Since emerging in 1904 around 81384 babies have been given the name. At its zenith in 1974, it ranked 19th when 4490 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 113 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
In addition to that, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 19 times Also, Michael was a popular name in Denmark. Over 8575 babies have been given the moniker in 16 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 1986, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 950 baby boys were given the name. After 16 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Michael was a popular name in New South Wales. Over 68628 babies have been given the moniker in 67 years.
When at its peak in 1974, 1918 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 1st position. However after 67 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 37 times Also, Michael was a popular name in Queensland. Over 27084 babies have been named Michael since 1960. At the peak of its usage in 1975, it ranked 1st when 768 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 60 years. Moreover, the name has been to the top 5 baby names 34 times
Michael was a common name in Switzerland.
Over 3132 babies have been named Michael since 1998. When at the peak of its usage in 1998,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 21 years. Also, Michael used to be a common name in Belgium, first appeared in 1995 and over 1646 babies have been given the name in 24 years.
When at its peak in 1995,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 24 years. Also, Michael used to be a common name in Western Australia, first appeared in 1945 and over 15925 babies have been given the name in 53 years.
At the peak of its usage in 1975,. After 53 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 47 times Also, Michael used to be a common name in Victoria, first appeared in 2008 and over 1492 babies have been given the name in 12 years.
At its zenith in 2008,. However after 12 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Michael is a familiar baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 300 names.
In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 211 on boy names chart when 77 babies were given the name Michael. There are over 301 babies that have been given the name Michael in Netherlands.
Michael is an uncommon baby name in Northern Territory where it has been in use since 2002 and peaked in 2018 when it ranked 3rd. Over 205 people have been named Michael in Northern Territory.
However things change on global perspective, Michael is extremely popular in Germany where every 1 in 100 have the name as well as in, England, Philippines, Nigeria, Canada, Ghana, Tanzania, Australia, South Africa, Egypt and Kenya.
Also the baby name is popular in Uganda, Eritrea, Austria, Ethiopia, Sudan, Scotland, Sierra Leone, New Zealand, Zambia, Wales, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Zimbabwe, South Sudan, Papua New Guinea, DR Congo, Brazil, Indonesia, Poland, Mozambique, Northern Ireland, Cameroon, Rwanda, India, Jamaica, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Angola, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Chad, Peru, Chile, Namibia, Central African Republic, Dominican Republic, Bangladesh, Trinidad and Tobago, Spain, Venezuela, Congo, Burundi, Liberia, Ecuador, Russia, Mexico, Equatorial Guinea, Togo, Qatar, Italy, Cyprus, Japan, Greece and East Timor.
As per our findings, over 11300000 people has been named Michael globally.
Michael in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Michael?
Having letter I as your first vowel represents your elegance, impulsive attitude, big heart, and gentle soul. You are full of dignity, charm, and have a lot of admirers because of your openness and kind nature. Remember that you are not the only person who's struggling with something. And you are not alone as you think. You are an exceptional person, a good listener for your friends and family, but shy as a lover.
Other names similar to Michael, for name hunters
- Evza - Originated from Old Greek and Czech, Evza is a boy name, Evza means "Noble and Well Born". Evza is diminutive of Evzen.
- Baruska - Baruska's meaning is Stranger, Barbaric and The Foreign is predominantly used in Czech and is aimed at girls is originated from Latin. Baruska is short of Barbara.
- Antonín is equivalent of Anton in Czech language
- Markita - Prevailing girl name Markita is originated from Old French, Old Greek and English. Markita is English and Czech equivalent of Margaret. Also Markita is English cognate of Marquita
- Viktor - Viktor's meaning is The Victor, Winner or Victory used for baby boys. Its origin is in Latin is used particulary in Faroese and Czech
Middle names for Michael
Here are some snowballing and short middle names we think go great with Michael, we've got you covered with these snowballing and short middle names.
View more middle names that goes with Michael.
Famous people named Michael
- Michael Kenna, was one of the two aldermen elected
- Michael VIII Palaiologos, reigned as the Co-Emperor of the Empire of Nicaea
- Michael I Rangabe, was Byzantine Emperor from 811 to 813
- Michael III, was Byzantine Emperor from 842 to 867
- Michael II, reigned as Byzantine Emperor
- Michael IV the Paphlagonian, was Byzantine Emperor
- Michael V Kalaphates, was Byzantine emperor for four months
- Michael VI Bringas,
- Michael VII Doukas, was Byzantine emperor from 1071 to 1078
- Michael Nyman, English composer of minimalist music, pianist
- Michael Choniates, Byzantine writer and ecclesiastic
- Michael Psellos, Byzantine Greek monk, savant, writer, philosopher
- Michael Baius, Belgian theologian
- Michael William Balfe, Irish composer
- Michael Tippett, English composer
- Michael Haydn, Austrian composer of the Classical period
- Michael Arne, English composer, harpsichordist, organist, singer
- Michael Hordern, English stage and film actor whose career spanned nearly 60 years
- Michael Bernays, was born in Hamburg
- Michael Drayton, English poet
- Michael Morris, 3rd Baron Killanin, Irish journalist, author, sports official
- Michael Fumento, American author, analyst, attorney
- Michael Manley, Jamaican politician
- Michael Scott,
- Michael A. Jackson, British computer scientist
- Michael Corrigan, American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Michael of Cesena, Italian Franciscan, general of that Order
- Michael Bruce, Scottish poet and hymnist
- Michael Hoban, teacher of classics
- Michael McKevitt, Irish republican
- Michael, archangel in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- Michael Tilson Thomas, American conductor, pianist and composer
- Michael Bliss, Canadian historian and award-winning author
- Michael J. McGivney, American Catholic priest based in New Haven
- Michael Shaara, American author of science fiction, sports fiction
- Michael Ventris, English architect, classicist and philologist
- Michael Faraday, British scientist
- Michael Halliday, English-born linguist
- Michael P. Anderson, United States Air Force officer and NASA astronaut
- Michael J. Smith, All seven crew members died
- Michael Behe, American biochemist, author
- Michael Servetus, Spanish theologian, physician, cartographer
- Michael Smith, with Kary Mullis for his work
- Michael O. Rabin, Israeli mathematician and computer scientist and a recipient of the Turing Award
- Michael Dummett, English academic described as "among the most significant British philosophers of the last century and a leading campaigner for racial tolerance and equality
- Michael Berry, mathematical physicist at the University of Bristol
- Michael Spivak, American mathematician specializing
- Michael Foster, English physiologist
- Michael Horton, J. Gresham Machen Professor of Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California since 1998
- Michael Oakeshott, English philosopher and political theorist
- Michael Reagan, former radio talk show host, and author
- Michael Moorcock, English writer and musician
- Michael Mann, American film director, screenwriter
- Michael Palin, English comedian, actor
- Michael Polanyi, Hungarian-British polymath,
- Michael Foot, British Labour Party politician and man of letters
- Michael Hutchence, Australian musician, singer-songwriter and actor
- Michael Schumacher, retired German racing driver
- Michael Bentine, Britsh comedian
- Michael Jordan, American former professional basketball player
- Michael Atiyah, British-Lebanese mathematician specialising
- Michael Crichton, American author, screenwriter
- Michael Milken, American financier and philanthropist
- Michael Nesmith, American musician, songwriter, actor, producer, novelist
- Michael I of Romania, last King of Romania
Lists having Michael
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Czech Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Yiddish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Mic
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (1994)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2011)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (1993)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (1998)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (1998)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Lord
- Baby Names that mean Resembles
- Baby Names that mean Messenger