Katherine name meaning
What does Katherine mean?
Meaning of Katherine is Unsullied or Tortured is used dominantly in Norwegian, Gujarati, Swedish, English, Danish, Kannada and Finnish, a unisex name has origin in Old Greek. Katherine is English form of Katharina. It is celebrated on November 25 or April 29.
Does Katherine sound like a good baby name?
Katherine is an excellent choice for a baby girl's name. It has a Greek origin, meaning "pure". Its sound is lyrical and timeless, making it the perfect name for a special little girl. Katherine is often spelled with a 'C', but with so many variations to choose from, such as Kathryn, Katheryn or even Catharine, there are lots of options available to parents seeking something unique. Katherine can also be shortened to Kate or Katie should the family prefer. All in all, it's an elegant and sophisticated name that will have your child standing out from the crowd for all the right reasons.
How do I pronounce Katherine?
Two syllabled Katherine is pronounced as kath-er-in. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., k(a)-theri-ne or kath(e)-rine.
Variants of Katherine
Aikaterine, Cateline, Katharina, Katheriene, Karine, Catharina, Ecaterina, Catelynn, Caitlin, Cate, Catheryn, Carina, Karin, Karina, Carine, Cara, Karen
Nicknames for Katherine
If you're looking for a nickname, there is a Plateful that works with the baby name Katherine. Some of these are:
How popular is the name Katherine?
Katherine was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 639484 babies have been given the first name. At its zenith in 1991, 11622 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 25th position. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 247 years but still going strong on charts. In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 39 times Also, Katherine was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 10877 babies have been named Katherine since 1996. At the peak of its usage in 1996, the moniker grabbed the 48th spot and 1266 baby girls were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 1 times
Katherine used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1956 and over 7581 babies have been given the name in 43 years. When at its peak in 1982,. After 43 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, Katherine used to be a common name in Queensland, first appeared in 1961 and over 2895 babies have been given the name in 36 years. At the peak of its usage in 1985,. After 36 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Katherine is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names. In 1965, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 71 on girl names chart when 91 babies were given the name Katherine. There are over 2562 babies that have been given the name Katherine in Ireland. Also, in France, it has been in use since 1939 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 1948, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 275 on girl names chart when 70 babies were given the name Katherine. Over 1460 babies in France have been named Katherine.
Katherine is an uncommon baby name in Belgium where it is still in use. But Katherine is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 900 have the name as well as in, Chile, Philippines, Canada, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Australia, Panama, Dominican Republic, Colombia and Bolivia. At least, 810000 people globally have carried Katherine as their given name according to our evaluation.
Katherine in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Katherine
You love to explore, never comfortable in your comfort zone. In fact, you do not have a comfort zone. When it comes to relationships, you hate monogamy and easily fall in and out of love. You are hard-working by nature and success drives you. What concerns you is your soul and how to keep yourself happy and aware. Your number represents mind strength and persistence. You are all about adventure and travel.
Looking for a name like Katherine? Please go through the following names
- Thetiss - Meaning of Thetiss is Dispose is used as a girl name came from Old Greek. Thetiss is derivation of Thetis.
- Asterleigh - Boy name Asterleigh means "Starry Field" is of Old Greek origin. Asterleigh is resultant of Astley.
- Alla - The widespread and venerable unisex name Alla is originated from Germanic and Old Greek and is used substantially in Hindi, Swedish and Norwegian languages, Alla means "Defender, Nobility or Mother"
- Galiena - Girl name Galiena means "High One" which is largely used in English and German came from Germanic and Old Greek
- Gile means Young Goat, The Beschützende and A Goatskin Shield of Zeus aimed at baby boys has its origin in Old Greek. Gile is derivative of Giles.
Middle names for Katherine
Some great options for snowballing and contemporary middle names to go with Katherine.
View more middle names that goes with Katherine.
Famous people named Katherine
- Katherine MacLean, American science fiction author best
- Katherine Govier, Canadian novelist and essayist
- Katherine Tingley, social worker and prominent Theosophist
- Katherine Routledge, English archaeologist and anthropologist who,
- Katherine Porter, American artist born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1941
- Katherine Philips, Anglo-Welsh royalist poet, translator
- Katherine Barber, Canadian lexicographer and was previously Editor-in-Chief of the 'Canadian Oxford Dictionary'
- Katherine Albrecht, consumer privacy advocate and spokesperson against radio-frequency identification
- Katherine FitzGerald, Countess of Desmond, noblewoman of the Anglo-Norman FitzGerald dynasty
- Katherine Philips Edson, American reformer and social activist
- Katherine Victor, American actress
- Katherine Thurston, Irish novelist
- Katherine Canavan, served as a United States diplomat and career foreign service officer for 35 years
- Katherine Scholes, Australian writer
- Katherine Boehret, Senior Director at Burson-Marsteller
- Katherine Needleman, principal oboist of the Baltimore Symphony orchestra
- Katherine Walker, German-American lighthouse keeper
- Katherine Healy, American former principal ballerina
- Katherine Cross, young Oklahoma woman whose headstone epitaph
- Katherine Safford Harris, haskins
- Katherine Doherty, American child actress
- Katherine Bucknell, American scholar and novelist
- Katherine Clifton, 2nd Baroness Clifton, English-born Scottish peer
- Katherine Hancock Ragsdale, American Episcopal priest based
- Katherine Sherwood Bonner McDowell, female author and feminist during America's Gilded Age
- Katherine Bennett, African-American pioneer for women's collegiate athletics
- Katherine Corri Harris, American socialite and golfer, who
- Katherine Monaghan, British actress best
- Katherine Thomson, Australian playwright and screenwriter
- Katherine Kennicott Davis, classical music composer, pianist
- Katherine Ciesinski, American mezzo-soprano, stage director
- Katherine Bernhardt, artist based in Brooklyn, New York
- Katherine Gottlieb, president and CEO of the Southcentral Foundation
- Katherine Esau, German-American botanist
- Katherine Harris, American politician
- Katherine Paterson, and the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal
- Katherine Young, American centenarian who, at the age of 102
- Katherine Helmond, American film
- Katherine Lanpher, American writer, journalist, broadcaster
- Katherine Anne Porter, American journalist, essayist, short story writer
- Katherine Rich, served as a member of the New Zealand House of Representatives for the National Party
- Katherine Kelly Lang, American actress best
- Katherine Moennig, American actress
- Katherine Dunn, American best-selling novelist, journalist, voice artist, radio personality
- Katherine Anna Kang, American businesswoman and film producer
- Katherine Grainger, British rower and with five Olympic medals is Great Britain's most decorated female Olympian
- Katherine D. Ortega, 38th Treasurer of the United States
- Katherine Villiers, Duchess of Buckingham, English aristocrat
- Katherine O'Regan, New Zealand politician
Lists having Katherine
- Boys names beginning with K
- Girls names beginning with K
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -rine
- Girl names that starts with Kat
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2015)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2003)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1985)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2000)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (1998)
- Baby Names that mean Pure
- Baby Names that mean Virginal