Mara name meaning
What does Mara mean?
Originated from Hebrew and Old Greek, Famous and Conifer Mara means "Bitter, Variant of Maria, Destroyer, Time, Horse or Rule" and is used substantially in English, Sanskrit, African, Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian, German, Swedish and Finnish is mainly bestowed upon both genders. Mara is version of all time favorite and biblical Mary. Mary is English cognate of Maria. Also Mary is English equivalent of Maria. Mary means Mother of Jesus Christ and Wished-for Child is of Hebrew and Egyptian origin. Mara is a form of hot in fashion, evergreen and biblical Maria. Maria is derivative of Mary. Maria is equivalent of Mirjam in Latin and Greek languages. Also Maria is Greek and Latin form of Mirjam. Meaning of Maria is Mary, Sea of Sorrow and The Word Mirjam with the Meaning Bitterness is originated from Hebrew. Mara is variation of widely accepted Tamar. Tamar is equivalent of Θαμαρ, a Greek Form of the Hebrew Name תָּמָר = Date Palm Tree in Latin language. Pleasing and Venerable English and Hebrew Tamar, meaning of Tamar is "From Tamar, Wide River and Date Palm". Mara is short version of Maralda. Maralda is variation of Meralda. Meaning of Maralda is Horse and Rule has origin in Old High German and Spanish,English. Mara is shortened form of Amara. Illustrous and Enduring Amara's origin is Old Greek, Igbo and Arabic, meaning of Amara is "Immortal One, Unfading Flower and Steadfast". Mara is effeminate form of Mar. Mar is form of Marlow. Also Mar is form of Marr. Mar is also form of Names Containing the Name Element Marr. Commonly Accepted and Conifer Mar is originated from Old Norse, Middle and Spanish, Mar means "Sea". Mara is Finnish equivalent of Martin.
How do I pronounce Mara?
m(a)-ra is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Mara.
Variants of Mara
Nicknames for Mara
Though Mara itself is a short name but that doesn't mean that you cannot have nicknames. See the list below:
How popular is the name Mara?
Mara was a popular name in Spain. Over 4618 babies have been named Mara since 2009. At its zenith in 2013, 563 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 63rd position. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 10 years but still dominating the charts. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 100 baby names 10 times A common name in United States having over 20550 recievers in 111 years of usage. At the peak of its usage in 1990, the moniker grabbed the 538th spot and 442 baby girls were given the name. Also, Mara was a common name in Switzerland. Over 1442 babies have been named Mara since 1998. At the peak of its usage in 2017,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 14 years but it is still going strong. Also, Mara is common in Netherlands where over 596 new-borns have been given the name since 2015. When at its peak in 2019, the moniker grabbed the 106th spot and 139 baby girls were given the name.
Mara is a familiar baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 600 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 587 on girl names chart when 70 babies were named Mara. Over 599 people have been named Mara in England and Wales. Mara is a unique baby name in France, it has been in use since 1953 and was able to reach the top 900 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 894 on girl names chart when 50 babies were named Mara. There are over 756 babies that have been given the name Mara in France. Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 2005, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 213 on girl names chart when 45 babies were named Mara. Over 718 people have been named Mara in Belgium.
Mara is a rare baby name in Ireland where it is still in use. However things change on global perspective, Mara is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 2000 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in India, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Mexico, Croatia, Indonesia, Serbia, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Philippines, Latvia, Angola and Bulgaria. As per our findings, over 470000 people has been named Mara globally.
Mara in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Mara
If number 2 is your soul urge number, you are an emotional person, no matter how much you deny it. What truly matters is love, friends, family and inner peace and joy. The rest is temporary. You easily adapt to new environments and want to hang around with new people. Your friends have a hard time decoding your mood. People take you as a self-absorbed person but you don't care how they take you.
Other names similar to Mara, for name hunters
- Andino - Everlasting and Popular Andino is used notably in Italian is rooted from Old Greek is used commonly as a boy name. Andino is Italian equivalent of Andrew
- Jéronima - The Jéronima is originated from Greek, Jéronima means "Sacred Name"
- Alfah - The unisex name Alfah has origin in Old Greek, mostly used in Arabic language, Alfah means "Guide"
- Hela - Meaning of Hela is Hope or Intact is used as a baby girl name. Its origin is in Arab and Old Greek is largely used in Oriya and Gujarati
- Traci - Used specifically in English preeminent, Traci means "Courageous, Brave or Summer" used as a unisex name is rooted from Old French and Old Greek
Famous people named Mara
- Mara Jones, Canadian rower
- Mara Takla Haymanot, was Emperor of Ethiopia
- Mara Gaye, professional showgirl
- Mara Zini, Italian short track speed skater
- Mara Davi, actress
- Mara Selvini Palazzoli, Italian psychiatrist and founder
- Mara Wilson, American writer and former child actress
- Mara Croatto, Puerto Rican actress
- Mara Liasson, American journalist and political pundit
- Mara Reyes, Mexican stock car racing driver
- Mara Branković, daughter of Serbian monarch Đurađ Branković and Eirene Kantakouzene
- Mara Corday, showgirl, model, actress
- Mara Darmousli, Greek former fashion model and current actress
- Mara Hobel, American actress
- Mara Santangelo, former professional tennis player from Italy
- Mara Yamauchi, : 15:28
- Mara Scherzinger, German actress
- Mara Buneva, Macedonian Bulgarian revolutionary
- Mara Brock Akil, American screenwriter and television producer
- Mara Devereux, American artist
- Mara Lakić, Bosnian basketball coach and former basketball player
- Mara Bronzoni in La bocca as Director
- Mara Abrantes acted in movie A Dupla do Barulho
- Mara Goldman played the small role of Domino Dare in 2007 fantasy flick Domino Dare.
- In 1980, Mara Goyanes characterized the role of Charo in horror, thriller film Aquella casa en las afueras.
- In 1936, Mara Jakisch played the role of N In movie Der lustige Witwenball.
- Mara Krupp, from 1965 western movie Per qualche dollaro in più, who portrayed the Mary - Hotel Manager's Beautiful Wife.
- Mara Loseff portrayed the central character of Mme. Isobella in 1938 comedy, musical movie The Sky's the Limit.
- In 1965 crime and drama flick, Libido, Mara Maryl portrayed Brigitte.
- In 1994, Mara Menegatti characterized the role of N In movie La lampada di Wood.
- In 1948 drama film, The Trial of Madame X, Mara Russell-Tavernan played Jacqueline.
- In 1989, Mara Vador played the role of N in thriller film La señora del Oriente Express.
- In 1987, Mara Venier portrayed the role of Stella in drama and horror flick Caramelle da uno sconosciuto.
- Mara Werlen, from 1955 flick Sbandato!, who portrayed the N.
- In 1915, Mara Miyateva-Lipina characterized the role of Mladata dama in comedy flick Balgaran e galant.
- Mara Luthane, from 2004 drama, mystery flick Gambling, who characterized the Anna.
- In 1984 drama flick, O adexios erastis, Mara Thrassivoulidou played Sonia Tsoka.
- Mara Tchoukleva, from 1921 film La fille Elisa, who portrayed N.
- Mara Cassano, from 1924 movie La preda, who portrayed N.
- In 1920 flick, Pán, Mara Jankovszky portrayed N.
- In 2002 drama movie, One Thousand Years, Mara Gerstein characterized Maria.
- Mara van Vlijmen, from 2013 comedy and drama flick Mees Kees op kamp, who portrayed the Moeder Tobias.
- In 2013 flick, Amar es bendito, Mara Santucho characterized N.
- Mara Marlise, from 1920 comedy film Der Lawinen-Löwe, who portrayed the N.
- In 2013, Mara Adriani played the role of N in comedy movie Tutti a Ostia Beach: Il Film.
- In 2016 drama film, T.P.O., Mara Lopez portrayed Teresa.
Lists having Mara
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- African Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Sanskrit Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Boy names that starts with Mar
- Girl names that ends with -ara
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Bitter
- Baby Names that mean Destroyer
- Baby Names that mean Time
- Baby Names that mean Horse
- Baby Names that mean Rule