Matilda name meaning
On This Page
What does Matilda mean?
Chiefly used in Scandinavian, Kannada, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, English, Gujarati, Norwegian, Faroese and Italian long standing and illustrous, Matilda is originated from Germanic and Old High German, meaning of Matilda is "Battle-mighty, Strong in War, Might, Strength, Fight, Composition Of: 'Power' or 'Struggle'" is a unisex name.
How does Matilda sound as a baby name?
Matilda is a charming and classic name that has been popular for centuries. It connotes strength, power, and resilience, making it an excellent choice for parents who want to instill these qualities in their daughters.
Matilda is also a versatile name that can be shortened to a variety of nicknames such as Mattie or Tilly, giving the child options as they grow up. Additionally, it has an elegant and sophisticated sound that will never go out of style.
Overall, Matilda is an excellent choice for parents searching for a strong yet feminine name with historical roots.
How do I pronounce Matilda?
Two syllabled Matilda is most commonly pronounced as m(a)-til-da. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., mat(i)-lda.
Variants of Matilda
Nicknames for Matilda
Here is the list of Potential nicknames for the given name Matilda:Names that rhyme with Matilda
How popular is the name Matilda?
Matilda is a popular in United States where over 32162 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 1880, 690 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 100th position.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 100 baby names 1 times Also, Matilda was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 21769 babies have been named Matilda since 1996.
When at its peak in 2016, the moniker grabbed the 25th spot and 1915 baby girls were given the name. However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 10 times Also, Matilda is a popular name in Sweden given to over 6277 babies in 10 years. Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 1998, it ranked 7th when 847 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 5 times
Matilda is common in New South Wales where over 4037 new-borns have been given the name since 2004.
When at the peak of its usage in 2008, 375 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 15th position. Also, A common name in Queensland having over 2543 recievers in 15 years of usage.
Presently the name is rising, in 2019, 219 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 10th position. Also, Matilda is a common name in Victoria given to over 2683 babies in 11 years.
Currently the name is rising, in 2018, the moniker grabbed the 10th spot and 294 baby girls were given the name. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 1 times
Matilda is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1965 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
Recently in 2016, 58 babies were given Matilda and it reached its peak ranking, 97 on girl names chart. There are over 572 babies that have been given the name Matilda in Ireland.
Also, in France, it has been in use since 1969 and was able to reach the top 800 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 779 on girl names chart when 66 babies were named Matilda.
There are over 885 babies that have been given the name Matilda in France. Also, in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
Recently in 2017, 64 babies were given Matilda and it reached its peak ranking, 119 on girl names chart. Over 669 people have been named Matilda in Switzerland. Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names.
Recently in 2019, 94 babies were given Matilda and it reached its peak ranking, 18 on girl names chart.
Matilda is an uncommon baby name in Belgium, in use since 1996, peaked in 2018 when it ranked 498th.
There are over 166 babies that have been given the name Matilda in Belgium. Also, it is uncommon in Northern Territory, where it has been in use since 2004 and peaked in 2009 when it ranked 2nd.
Over 161 people have been named Matilda in Northern Territory. Matilda is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today. But Matilda is a popular baby name in Ghana where every 1 in 600 have the name as well as in, Sierra Leone, Zambia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe and South Africa.
According to our research, at least 190000 people have been bestowed Matilda around the globe.
Matilda in Nordic countries
Here's what numbers has to say about Matilda
You only need the right ones to be content in life. And you are right. Sometimes, your intuition is the reason why you made so mistakes in your life. People often mistake you for a fool but you always find an indirect way to prove them wrong. You don't care about connects much because you believe that you don't need many people in order to be happy and content with life. People come to you when they need an objective opinion about almost everything, except romance.
Do you like Matilda? You would love these names
- Mia means Mine, Who is Loved or Beauty is commonly used in Scandinavian, Norwegian and Dutch and is used for both boys and girls is of Hebrew and Latin origin. In 2018, predominant name Mia bagged 7th position on the list of baby girl names in United States
- Lillian - Well-Liked and Perpetual Lillian commonly is used in Swedish and Hebrew, meaning of Lillian is "Beauty or My God is Perfect" which of Latin and Hebrew origin is bestowed upon both genders
- Steve - Steve's meaning is A Garland, The Crowned or Crowned is rooted from Old Greek and is predominantly used in Swedish, Danish and Finnish is used for both sexes
- Billy means Resolute Protector, Protection or Will has its origin in Germanic and Old High German and is used for both sexes is mostly used in English and Danish
- Lorraine - Lorraine's meaning is Saint Joan of Arc or Laurel is principally used in Norwegian and Finnish and a unisex name has its origin in Old French and Latin
Famous people named Matilda
- Matilda of Ringelheim, was Duchess of Saxony from 912 and German queen
- Matilda Evans, first African-American woman licensed to practice medicine
- Matilda Betham-Edwards, English novelist, travel writer and Francophile
- Matilda Howell, American female archer
- Matilda Ernkrans, Swedish politician of the Social Democratic Party
- Matilda Coxe Stevenson, American ethnologist, born in San Augustine, Texas
- Matilda of Tuscany, powerful feudal Margravine of Tuscany
- Matilda of Flanders, was Queen of England and Duchess of Normandy by marriage to William the Conqueror
- Matilda Joslyn Gage, 19th-century women's suffragist, a Native American rights activist, an abolitionist
- Matilda of Boulogne, was Queen of England as the wife of King Stephen
- Matilda II, Countess of Boulogne, was Countess of Boulogne
- Matilda of Scotland,
- Matilda Ziegler, English television, stage and film actress best
- Matilda of Anjou, also known as Mahaut was married
- Matilda of Savoy, Queen of Portugal, was Queen of Portugal
- Matilda Sissieretta Joyner Jones, American soprano
- Matilda Jane Evans,
- Matilda of Savoy, daughter of Amadeo
- Matilda of Frisia, first queen
- Matilda Smith, botanical artist whose work appeared
- Matilda Reed in Episode #1.6 as Actress
- Matilda Mead in Rhythm Is a Dancer as Actress
- Matilda Ramsay in Matilda and the Ramsay Bunch as Actress
- Matilda Terbio in The Island as Actress
- Matilda Ridgway in The Guests as Actress
- Matilda Gilbert in The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin as Actress
- Matilda Szydagis in The Nanny Diaries as Actress
- Matilda Del Toro in Lost Jungle as Actress
- Matilda Brown in Am I Okay as Actress
- Matilda Ledger in 20 Cutest Celebrity Babies as
- Matilda Makoçi played pivotal character of Mira in 1983 drama, romance film Apasionata.
- In 2002, Matilda Callenbo portrayed the role of Emma in family film Smådeckarna.
Lists having Matilda
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Portuguese Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Boy names that starts with Mat
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Mighty
- Baby Names that mean Battle
- Baby Names that mean Strong
- Baby Names that mean War
- Baby Names that mean Powerful
- Baby Names that mean Warrior
- Baby Names that mean Maiden
- Baby Names that mean Might
- Baby Names that mean Strength
- Baby Names that mean Fight
- Baby Names that mean Power
- Baby Names that mean Struggle