Evan name meaning
On This Page
What does Evan mean?
The name Evan is of Welsh origin, and it means "youth" or "healthy". The name Evan has been around for centuries, and it was originally a diminutive form of the name John.
The name John was derived from the Hebrew name Yohanan, which means "God is gracious". The name Evan was first used in the Middle Ages, and it became popular in the United Kingdom in the 18th century.
Evan is a popular Welsh baby name, and it ranked in at #116 in 2021.
There are many famous people named Evan, including:
-Evanescence singer Amy Lee
-Actor Evan Rachel Wood
-Character actor Evan Peters
-Professional skateboarder Evan Smith
-Rapper and producer Eve
Evan is a unisex name that can be used for either boys or girls.
It has Hebrew origins and means "God is good."
Overall, the baby name Evan is a great choice because it is unique, but not too out there; it has a strong meaning behind it; and it can be used for both a girl or a boy.
With so many great things going for it, it's no wonder that the name Evan is becoming more popular each year. So if you're looking for something different for your baby, but not too different, consider the name Evan.
Is the name Evan suitable for a newborn?
Evan is a beautiful, unique name that has been growing in popularity over the years. It's a Welsh name that means "God is gracious; born of yew; youth".
Evan is a name that sounds strong and confident, yet also has a gentle and caring feel to it. One of the specialities of this name is its versatility in terms of nicknames - from Ev to EJ to Van, there are so many options for parents looking for a cute and affectionate nickname for their little one.
Another speciality of Evan as a baby name is its timeless appeal - it's a classic name that will never go out of style, making it the perfect choice for parents who want to give their child a timeless moniker.
How do I pronounce Evan?
e-van is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Evan.
Variants of Evan
Jehanne, Ieuan, Johanan, Eavan, Eoghan, John, Evanna, Johannes, Dejohn, Gianni, Jackie, Yanis, Aaronjohn, John Paul, Evanjames, Johanna, Ivan, Ifan, Ewan, Jeanne, Hansi, Jona, Iwan, Eyvan, Iefan, Eugene, Ireland, Eugen, Euen
Nicknames for Evan
The name Evan is already a short name but there are some nicknames to go along with it:Names that rhyme with Evan
How popular is the name Evan?
Evan was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 270742 babies have been given the moniker in 228 years. At its zenith in 2009, it ranked 35th when 10288 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
However after 228 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 10 times Also, Evan was a popular name in England and Wales.
Over 12603 babies have been named Evan since 1996. When at its peak in 2009, the moniker grabbed the 70th spot and 973 baby boys were given the name. However after 39 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 100 baby names 10 times Also, Evan was among the popular names in France. Since emerging in 1953 around 41478 babies have been given the first name.
At the peak of its usage in 2010, it ranked 19th when 3131 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. However after 45 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 14 times
In Ireland, Evan was once a common name since emerging in 1972 it has been given to over 6913 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2007,. However after 44 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, A common name in Switzerland having over 996 recievers in 15 years of usage.
At its zenith in 2010, the moniker grabbed the 66th spot and 117 baby boys were given the name. Also, Evan is common in Netherlands where over 446 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
Currently the name is rising, in 2016, 102 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 163rd position. Also, Evan used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1984 and over 110 babies have been given the name in 1 years.
At its zenith in 1984,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
Evan is a familiar baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2008, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 178 on boy names chart when 73 babies were given the name Evan. Over 1021 babies in Belgium have been named Evan.
The name is a rare baby name in New South Wales there is very thin chances of it still being given. Over 110 babies in New South Wales have been named Evan.
But Evan is a popular baby name in Indonesia where every 1 in 30000 have the name as well as in, Canada and Australia. As per our evaluation, over 330000 babies have been bestowed Evan around the globe.
Evan in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Evan?
If you do things that require passion and courage, your heart grows. Nothing escapes your eye, your sense of smell is highly developed, such as your sense of touch. You are not stubborn but flexible and think outside the limits. Partnerships are exclusively important to you. You watch your mouth and think twice before you say something. Your personal growth depends on your adventures. Negative people steal your energy and leave you drained and unwilling to do the things you want to do like express your feelings in a creative manner.
If you like Evan, you would love these names
- Riitta - Riitta's meaning is The Exalted One has its origin in Celtic and is aimed at baby girls is mainly used in Danish and Norwegian
- Davin - Well-Known unisex name Davin is originated from Celtic and Old Norse, Davin means "Black One or Small Deer" is used largely in Norwegian, Bengali and Oriya
- Grélǫð came from Celtic and Old Norse is used predominantly in Old Norse is a girl name. Grélǫð is Old Norse equivalent of An Unknown Celtic Name, Or a Combination of an Unknown First Name Element;Löd?
- Kylen - Meaning of Kylen is Narrow or Slender used for both sexes and originated from Old Irish and Celtic is principally used in English
- Nyle - Outlandish Nyles origin is Old English and Celtic, meaning of Nyle is "Passionate, Island or Champion" and a gender insensitive name is used largely in English
Sibling Names for Evan
If you're considering the name Evan for your baby, you might be wondering what names would complement it well if you decide to have more children in the future. Here is a list of sibling names for Evan that have a similar feel or aesthetic. Each of these names has its own unique charm and could be a great match for your growing family.
Names for Evan's sister
Brother to Evan
Famous people named Evan
- Evan Ziporyn, American composer of post-minimalist music with a cross-cultural orientation
- Evan James, a weaver and poet from Pontypridd, originally
- Evan Thornley, Australian entrepreneur
- Evan Shelby Alexander, United States Democratic-Republican Party Congressman
- Evan Vucci, Associated Press photographer based in Washington
- Evan Williams, retired Australian diplomat and public servant
- Evan Esar, American humorist
- Evan Alfred Evans, judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Evan Parke, Jamaican-born American actor perhaps best
- Evan Whitton, Australian journalist
- Evan Roberts, Evangelist and leading figure of the 1904–1905 Welsh Revival
- Evan Skolnick, American writer, editor and producer
- Evan Ramsey,
- Evan "Funk" Davies, musician, DJ and online media developer based
- Evan Lurie, American composer and musician
- Evan Roberts, MBE, M.Sc
- Evan Chambers, composer, traditional Irish fiddler
- Evan Henry Llewellyn, British Army officer and a Conservative politician
- Evan Malbone Johnson, clergyman of the Episcopal Church
- Evan Morgan, 2nd Viscount Tredegar, Welsh poet and author
- Evan Davies, Welsh Protestant Christian missionary
- Evan Noel, English rackets player
- Evan Foulkes, politician in the United Kingdom
- Evan B. Goss, American judge
- Evan Stephens, Latter-day Saint composer and hymn writer
- Evan Eugene Fraser, Ontario contractor and political figure
- Evan Kohlmann, American terrorism consultant
- Evan Evans, American professional off-road racer
- Evan H. Caminker, Dean Emeritus of the University of Michigan Law School
- Evan Harris Walker, American physicist and parapsychologist
- Evan Harris, British Liberal Democrat politician
- Evan Mecham, American businessman and the 17th governor of Arizona
- Evan Parker, British saxophone player who plays free jazz
- Evan Dobelle, former public official and higher-education administrator
- Evan Dorkin, American comics artist and cartoonist
- Evan Forde, African-American oceanographer
- Evan Solomon, Canadian columnist, political journalist
- Evan Dando, American musician and frontman of the Lemonheads
- Evan Rachel Wood, American actress, model, and musician
- Evan S. Connell, Evan Shelby Connell Jr
- Evan Whitfield, retired American soccer player
- Evan Taubenfeld, American singer-songwriter, best
- Evan Nepean, British politician and colonial administrator
- Evan Coyne Maloney, American documentary filmmaker
- Evan Seinfeld, American musician and actor, as well as a director
- Evan Lysacek, American figure skater
- Evan Montvel Cohen, American businessman from the island of Guam
- Evan Farmer, Evan Ragland Farmer, Jr
- Evan C. Kim, American actor
- Evan G. Greenberg, American business executive
- Evan Karagias, American professional wrestler and actor
- Evan Lewis, American professional wrestler
Lists having Evan
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Scottish Baby Names
- Slavic Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Welsh Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Girl names that starts with Eva
- Boy names that ends with -van
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2013)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (1987)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2014)
- Baby Names that mean Lord
- Baby Names that mean Gracious
- Baby Names that mean Young
- Baby Names that mean Warrior
- Baby Names that mean Right
- Baby Names that mean Yew
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh
- Baby Names that mean Merciful