Evelyn name meaning
On This Page
What does Evelyn mean?
Evelyn is a feminine given name derived from the Old English name Aefwine, meaning "friend of the birds" or "wished for child". The name has been in use since the Middle Ages, and was popularised in the Victorian era.
Evelyn is a diminutive form of the name Eve, which is itself ultimately derived from Hebrew חַוָּה (Ḥawwāh), the first woman and wife of Adam in Abrahamic religions.
The name was first used as a surname in England after the Norman Conquest. It was subsequently used as a given name, particularly in Britain and America during the 19th century.
The name Evelyn reached its peak of popularity in the United States at the beginning of the 20th century, when it ranked as one of the top 10 names for girls.
It remained popular throughout the first half of the century, but began to decline in popularity thereafter. In 2021, it was ranked as the 9th most popular name for girls in America.
Famous people having the name Evelyn include:
-Evelyn Waugh: British writer best known for his satirical novels
-Evelyn Glennie: Scottish percussionist and composer who has been deaf since the age of 12
-Evelyn Lozada: American television personality, model, and businesswoman
If you are looking for a classic name with a modern twist, then Evelyn might be the perfect choice for your baby.
This beautiful name has been rising in popularity in recent years, but it is still unique enough to help your child stand out. Plus, the meaning of "life" is sure to fill your little one with hope and joy.
With so much to love about this name, it's no wonder Evelyn is becoming a popular choice for parents all over the world.
Could Evelyn be an appropriate name for your new bundle of joy?
Evelyn is a beautiful and unique name for a baby girl that has gained popularity in recent times. This name has an air of elegance and sophistication to it, making it perfect for parents looking for a timeless yet modern name.
One of the special features of Evelyn is its versatility, as it can be pronounced differently depending on where you are in the world, ranging from 'EEV-lin' to 'EV-uh-lyn.' In addition, this name has a rich history and cultural significance due to its association with several influential women throughout history.
Overall, Evelyn is an excellent choice for parents who want a name that is both classic and trendy at the same time.
How do I pronounce Evelyn?
The most common pronunciation of three syllabled Evelyn is ehv-ah-lin. Some people pronounce it as eh-vuh-lin.
Variants of Evelyn
Nicknames for Evelyn
There are plenty of nicknames to go along with Evelyn. Some of those include:Names that rhyme with Evelyn
How popular is the name Evelyn?
Evelyn is an extremely popular in United States where over 575116 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2017, the moniker grabbed the 9th spot and 14279 baby girls were given the name.
Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 10 baby names 3 times Also, Evelyn is a popular in England and Wales where over 16967 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At its zenith in 2018, it ranked 19th when 1967 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 6 times
Evelyn used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 2011 and over 1942 babies have been given the name in 9 years.
At its zenith in 2017,. However after 9 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, In Queensland, Evelyn was once a common name since emerging in 2011 it has been given to over 1460 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2016,. However after 9 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Evelyn was a common name in Victoria.
Over 1400 babies have been named Evelyn since 2011. When at its peak in 2016,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 9 years but it is still going strong.
Evelyn is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1964 and was able to reach the top 100 names. In 1965, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 78 on girl names chart when 92 babies were given the name Evelyn.
Over 2555 people have been named Evelyn in Ireland. Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2019, 94 babies were given Evelyn and it reached its peak ranking, 18 on girl names chart.
In Belgium, Evelyn is a unique name where it has been in use since 1995 and has secured the place in top 400 names. In 1995, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 314 on girl names chart when 32 babies were named Evelyn.
Over 252 people have been named Evelyn in Belgium. Evelyn is an uncommon baby name in France, even after 48 years of presence it could not make beyond the top 600.
Over 276 babies in France have been named Evelyn. In Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 but could not make beyond the top 500. Over 235 people have been named Evelyn in Switzerland.
Evelyn is a rare baby name in Netherlands still in use today and also in Western Australia. However things change on global perspective, Evelyn is extremely popular in Philippines where every 1 in 400 have the name as well as in, Nigeria and Ghana.
Also the baby name is popular in Germany, England, Chile, Malawi, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, Canada, Zambia, Guatemala, Brazil, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Uganda, Sierra Leone, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Liberia, Scotland, Malaysia, Austria, Kenya, Honduras, Cameroon, Papua New Guinea, Jamaica and Australia.
At least, 1580000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our research.
Evelyn in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Evelyn?
You are a natural leader who's respected by people. You are a risk taker because you know that in order to get something, you need to give something in return. You don't depend on anyone's understanding and support. You are highly intuitive and inspire as you go. Every challenge is there to sharpen your focus and improve your survival skills. Sometimes, you act like a control freak. Perhaps you are born to make bad people do good things and walk the right path.
Other names similar to Evelyn, for soon-to-be-parents
- Robert - Durable and Customary Robert is used principally in Czech, Scottish and Finnish has its origin in Germanic and Old High German is a unisex name, Robert means "A, Glory or Brilliant or Famed". In 2018, frequently used Robert was the 71st most popular name on list of baby boy names in United States
- Lance - Primarily used in French and German unfading and pleasing, Lance means "A Light Spear, Homeland or Land" and is used for both boys and girls is originated from Germanic and Old French
- Lillie - Celebrated and Perennial unisex name Lillie is used dominantly in English and Swedish. It is rooted from Latin and English, meaning of Lillie is "Lily, Purity or Beauty or Purity"
- Yvonne - Used in French, Swedish and Danish unfading and prevalent, Yvonne means "The Archer, Shrub or The Word Iv with the Meaning Yew" and is rooted from Celtic and Germanic is used as a gender insensitive name
- Lynda - Used majorly in Finnish, Norwegian and Danish long standing and widely accepted, Lynda is of Germanic, Old Greek and Old High German origin, Lynda means "Gentle, Form of Linda or Noble" is used for both boys and girls
Middle names for Evelyn
These are the familiar and cute middle names that we love for the name Evelyn.
View more middle names that goes with Evelyn.
Sibling Names for Evelyn
Choosing the perfect name for your little one can be a challenging task. If you've decided on the name Evelyn, why not consider naming their siblings with names that complement and match? Here are some great sibling names to pair with Evelyn.
Sister for Evelyn
Names for Evelyn's brother
Famous people named Evelyn
- Evelyn Lau, Canadian poet and novelist
- Evelyn Baring, 1st Baron Howick of Glendale,
- Evelyn De Morgan, English painter whose works were influenced by the style of the Pre-Raphaelite movement
- Evelyn Lear, American operatic soprano
- Evelyn Seymour, 17th Duke of Somerset, British Army officer, landowner, peer
- Evelyn Shannon, politician in Manitoba, Canada
- Evelyn Reed, American communist and women's rights activist
- Evelyn Wells, 20th-century American biographer and author most
- Evelyn Byng, Viscountess Byng of Vimy, wife of Lord Byng
- Evelyn Ng, Canadian professional poker player
- Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull, English nobleman and landowner
- Evelyn Graves, 9th Baron Graves, Australian farmer and peer
- Evelyn Handler, served
- Evelyn St. Croix Fleming, Evelyn St
- Evelyn Abbott, English classical scholar, born at Epperstone
- Evelyn de Mille, Canadian known for being the first woman
- Evelyn Dubrow, legendary labour lobbyist for the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union
- Evelyn King, British member of parliament for both the Labour Party and then the Conservative Party
- Evelyn Whitaker, English children's writer
- Evelyn Simpson Curenton, African-American composer, pianist, organist
- Evelyn Danzig, American songwriter best
- Evelyn Dall, American singer and actress
- Evelyn Rudie, American playwright, director, songwriter
- Evelyn Nelson, American silent film actress
- Evelyn Wood, business
- Evelyn Cecil, 1st Baron Rockley, British, Conservative Party politician
- Evelyn Pierrepont, 5th Earl Manvers,
- Evelyn Pierrepont, British Member of Parliament
- Evelyn Ashamallah, female Coptic painter,
- Evelyn Irons,
- Evelyn Scott, American novelist, playwright and poet
- Evelyn Fox, noted British health worker
- Evelyn Stagg, trailblazer for Southern Baptist women in ministry
- Evelyn Billings,
- Evelyn Witthoff, medical doctor
- Evelyn Anthony, British writer
- Evelyn Miot, first black woman to reach the top fifteen finalists position
- Evelyn Nelson, Canadian mathematician
- Evelyn Matz, former East German handball player
- Evelyn Macleod, Baroness Macleod of Borve, British public servant
- Evelyn Fox Keller, American physicist
- Evelyn Boyd Granville, second African-American woman to receive a Ph
- Evelyn M. Witkin, American geneticist
- Evelyn Cheesman, British entomologist and traveller
- Evelyn Waugh, Arthur Evelyn St
- Evelyn Ashford, sportsperson
- Evelyn Nesbit, American artists' model, chorus girl, and actress
- Evelyn Glennie, Scottish virtuoso percussionist
- Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull, English aristocrat
- Evelyn Keyes, American film actress
- Evelyn Hooker, American psychologist most notable for her 1957 paper "The Adjustment of the Male Overt Homosexual"
- Evelyn Underhill, English Anglo-Catholic writer and pacifist
- Evelyn Lincoln, personal secretary to John F. Kennedy
Lists having Evelyn
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that starts with Eve
- Girl names that ends with -lyn
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Life
- Baby Names that mean Hazelnut
- Baby Names that mean Little
- Baby Names that mean Bird
- Baby Names that mean Desired
- Baby Names that mean Giving
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Alive
- Baby Names that mean Power
- Baby Names that mean Mother