Helena name meaning
On This Page
What does Helena mean?
Used commonly in Scandinavian, Swedish, Icelandic, Hawaiian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Old Norse, Kannada, German, Arabic, Greek, Spanish, English, Greenlandic, Faroese, Polish, Danish, Czech and Finnish long standing and admired, Helena is originated from Old Greek, Helena means "Light, Torch or Shining" is used for both sexes.
Helena is version of durable and desirable Helen. Helen is English form of Helene. Helen's meaning is The Element Helios Meaning Sun, Wicker and Shining Light is originated from Old Greek and English.
Helena is equivalent of Helene in Latin language.
How does Helena sound as a baby name?
Helena is a charming and elegant name for baby girls that has been popular for centuries. It is an alluring name that conjures up the image of a beautiful, radiant and confident young woman.
Helena also has a timeless quality to it, ensuring that it will remain fashionable for many years to come. Moreover, as it has Greek roots, this name carries a historical weight to it - adding an extra layer of depth and intrigue to its allure.
With its distinctive pronunciation and sophisticated charm, Helena is certainly a name worth considering for any parent looking for a classic yet unique Baby girl's name.
How do I pronounce Helena?
The three syllabled name Helena is pronounced, he-le-na.
Variants of HelenaNames that rhyme with Helena
How popular is the name Helena?
a popular name in United States with over 35549 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. Currently peaked at the charts, it ranked 194th when 681 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 500 baby names an astounding 63 times Also, a popular name in Spain with over 7584 new-borns have been given the name since 2002.
Presently the name is rising, in 2002, the moniker grabbed the 65th spot and 734 baby girls were given the name. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 100 baby names 15 times
In England and Wales, Helena was once a common name since emerging in 1996 it has been given to over 4210 babies.
At its zenith in 1996,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but it is still going strong. Also, Helena was a common name in Ireland.
Over 2815 babies have been named Helena since 1964. When at the peak of its usage in 1964,. However after 56 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Also, Helena is common in France where over 14631 new-borns have been given the name since 1900. When at the peak of its usage in 1926, it ranked 120th when 372 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Also, Helena was a common name in Denmark. Over 367 babies have been named Helena since 1995. At its zenith in 1995,. After 2 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 2 times Also, Helena is common in Belgium where over 2688 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
At the peak of its usage in 2017, 174 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 52nd position.
Helena is a familiar baby name in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 100 names.
Recently in 2018, 88 babies were given Helena and it reached its peak ranking, 80 on girl names chart. Over 1087 babies in Switzerland have been named Helena. Also, in Netherlands, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 200 names.
Recently in 2019, 81 babies were given Helena and it reached its peak ranking, 182 on girl names chart. Over 355 babies in Netherlands have been named Helena.
Helena is a rare baby name in Denmark there is very thin chances of it still being given.
Over 367 people have been named Helena in Denmark. However things change on global perspective, Helena is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 600 have the name as well as in, Angola, Mozambique and Slovakia.
Also the baby name is popular in Tanzania, Czech Republic, Portugal, Bangladesh, Ghana, Germany, South Africa, Indonesia, Poland, Liberia, Namibia, England, DR Congo, Slovenia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, India and Latvia. As per our research, over 1460000 babies have been bestowed Helena around the globe.
Helena in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Helena?
You only need the right ones to be content in life. And you are right. You are a good friend and know how to keep secrets. Appreciate yourself and your partner more. Otherwise, you'll end up alone. You have high ideals. Letter A at the end of your name foreshadows your high ambition to become someone in life. You have a sharp focus and highly developed sense of intuition. When it comes to love, you are the jealous partner with a low self-confidence.
Other names similar to Helena, for soon-to-be-parents
- Dalia - Meaning of Dalia is Swedish Botanist Who Gave Birth to the Flower Dalhia or Tree Branch used for both boys and girls which originated from Lithuanian, Hebrew and German is used predominantly in Danish and Norwegian. In 1994, celebrated Dalia was the 485th most popular name on list of baby girl names in United States
- Irshaad substantially is used in Kannada and Arabic, meaning of Irshaad is "Guiding Hand or Signal" used for baby boys has origin in Arabic and Sanskrit
- Aighar - The girl name Aighar is notably used in Sindhi and Arabic, Aighar means "Religious or She was a Religious"
- Ihtiram - Predominantly used in Sindhi and Arabic, Ihtiram bestowed upon boys, meaning of Ihtiram is "Honor or Honour"
- Dana - Lofty and Enduring Dana came from Old English, Anglo-Saxon and Hebrew is used dominantly in Tamil, Finnish and English, a gender-neutral name, meaning of Dana is "Wise, Judge or God or Learned"
Middle names for Helena
Complement Helena with any of the in vogue and loveable middle names assembled below.
View more middle names that goes with Helena.
Sibling Names for Helena
If you're considering naming your baby girl Helena and looking for sibling names that complement it perfectly, you've come to the right place. We have compiled a list of charming and unique name options that pair well with the classic beauty of Helena. Take a look at our top picks for sibling names below.
Names for Helena's sister
Names for Helena's brother
Famous people named Helena
- Helena Hietanen, lives and works Helsinki, Finland
- Helena Dahlbäck, Swedish author who wrote several children's books
- Helena Faucit, English actress
- Helena Swanwick, British feminist and pacifist
- Helena Zmatlíková, Czech illustrator, especially of children's books
- Helena Normanton, first woman to practise as a barrister in England
- Helena Devereux, American educator
- Helena Růžičková, Czech actress
- Helena of Skövde, Swedish local Catholic saint
- Helena Meireles, Brazilian guitar player and composer
- Helena Maria Viramontes, American fiction writer and professor of English
- Helena Cronin, British Darwinian philosopher and rationalist
- Helena Nyblom, Swedish children's story author
- Helena Fibingerová, Czech shot putter
- Helena Michell, Australian-born English actress
- Helena Pielichaty, author of children's books, was
- Helena Sheehan, academic philosopher, historian of science
- Helena Šikolová, former Czechoslovak cross country skier
- Helena Javornik, Slovenian long-distance runner
- Helena Dragaš, empress consort of Byzantine emperor Manuel II Palaiologos and mother of the last two emperors
- Helena Molony, prominent Irish republican
- Helena Stenbäck,
- Helena Pasierbska, Polish writer
- Helena Hillar Rosenqvist, Swedish Green Party politician
- Helena Bargholtz, Swedish Liberal People's Party politician
- Helena Höij, member of the Riksdag from 1998 to 2006 and the Third Deputy Speaker of the Riksdag
- Helena Sampaio, *10,000 metres - 31:43
- Helena Shovelton, DBE, FRSA, Hon
- Helena Rous, Countess of Stradbroke,
- Helena Gutteridge, suffragette
- Helena Frisk, Swedish politician of the Social Democratic Party
- Helena Macher, Polish luger who competed in the late 1960s
- Helena Tulve, Estonian composer
- Helena Engman, Swedish shot putter
- Helena Bergman, Swedish orienteer
- Helena Wulff, is Professor of social anthropology at Stockholm University
- Helena Pajović, Serb figure skater
- Helena Squires, politician in Newfoundland
- Helena Blavatsky, Russian occultist, philosopher
- Helena Roerich, Russian theosophist
- Helena Rasiowa, Polish mathematician
- Helena Bonham Carter, English actress
- Helena, Empress of the Roman Empire
- Helena Kennedy, Baroness Kennedy of The Shaws, British barrister, broadcaster
- Helena Rubinstein, Polish-American businesswoman, art collector
- Helena Modjeska, renowned actress
- Helena Guergis, Canadian politician of Assyrian descent
- Helena Christensen, Danish model and photographer
- Helena Tekla Lubomirska, Polish noblewoman
- Helena Suková, former professional tennis player
- Helena Carroll, veteran film, television and stage actress
- Helena Carr, Malaysian-born Australian businesswoman and the wife of former Premier of New South Wales
- Helena Patursson, Faroese actress and writer
Lists having Helena
- Boys names beginning with H
- Girls names beginning with H
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Czech Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hawaiian Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Polish Baby Names
- Portuguese Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -lena
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1981)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Torch
- Baby Names that mean Sun
- Baby Names that mean Ray
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Shine
- Baby Names that mean Spiritual
- Baby Names that mean Shining